compatible speakers with vintage Technics stereo system??

turning japanese
haileyc
United States of America

compatible speakers with vintage Technics stereo system??

Post by haileyc » 05 Dec 2019 06:21

hi my mom has a vintage Technics stereo system and the speakers recently have been blown. i’m just curious as to what kind of speakers are compatible and if there are any in the lower price range

she specifically has:
technics dc servo automatic turntable system sl-bd25

technics quartz synthesizer am/fm stereo tuner st-s75

technics stereo double cassette deck rs-t25

technics stereo integrated amplifier su-v95

technics stereo graphic equalizer sh-8029

thank you!!

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: compatible speakers with vintage Technics stereo system??

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 05 Dec 2019 07:54

Assuming you still have the speakers, take note of the specifications on the plate on the back of the speaker. This will yield important information about basic compatibility for the system. Most of the equipment by Technics from this time is quite capable, although Technics speakers aren't highly regarded, although there is nothing specifically wrong with them. Some notable exceptions, but not that many highly sought after models. I'd suggest speakers with a similar driver compliment to the originals (3 way, similar size and specs), but then it is pretty much up to your personal taste and budget. Do try to test listen to any speakers you are interested in. That amp has solid power, so large bookshelf models or small floor standers would be recommended to handle the power and range of the amp.

haileyc
United States of America

Re: compatible speakers with vintage Technics stereo system??

Post by haileyc » 05 Dec 2019 15:14

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
05 Dec 2019 07:54
Assuming you still have the speakers, take note of the specifications on the plate on the back of the speaker. This will yield important information about basic compatibility for the system. Most of the equipment by Technics from this time is quite capable, although Technics speakers aren't highly regarded, although there is nothing specifically wrong with them. Some notable exceptions, but not that many highly sought after models. I'd suggest speakers with a similar driver compliment to the originals (3 way, similar size and specs), but then it is pretty much up to your personal taste and budget. Do try to test listen to any speakers you are interested in. That amp has solid power, so large bookshelf models or small floor standers would be recommended to handle the power and range of the amp.
thank you!! i did a lot of online research after looking at the speaker specs on the back. they’re marantz wsp 4115A, but i haven’t been able to find many (in my price range) with the same frequency response (18Hz-20kHz)