Technics SL-10 Tone Arm Stuck

turning japanese
ajames45

Technics SL-10 Tone Arm Stuck

Post by ajames45 » 13 Nov 2019 05:57

My turntable was playing fine until at one point it begins to repeat a section of a song over and over. I pressed the cue button to manually put the tonearm to the stop position but it wouldn't budge. The rod that the tonearm rides is certainly dry so I'm thinking that this is the issue. There was another forum like this ( viewtopic.php?t=25202 ) but I have no idea how to fix this as I've never serviced a turntable before. From that forum, what is a gear and worm screw? How do I even find that on the lid and how do I even know which one it is? Also what do I even re-grease it with?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right without breaking anything

Any help would be really appreciated!

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Technics SL-10 Tone Arm Stuck

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Nov 2019 07:18

Greetings! I am a great fan of and happy owner of several linear tracking turntables. The viewtopic you referenced is a good guide, and likely describes and suggests the issues and solutions you seek. The worm and gear assembly is attached at the end of the shaft from the small motor under the lid that moves the sled and tonearm across the record surface. It will be self apparent upon removal of the top cover/lid. This is also where the small belt will be found. Replacement of the belt and application of lubricant of choice (dry teflon a good choice if dust a concern) will be straight forward and easy. Use white lithium grease on the worm gear, but only a minimum amount. Likewise with the sled, where a little goes a long way. A little DeOxit where needed,gentle cleaning and a new stylus or cartridge is normally all that is require to enjoy these TTs for another 20 years. Enjoy! 8)

Rajkumar

Post by Rajkumar » 13 Nov 2019 08:28

Hi for more details you can find on www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwP37kYzCUw and enjoy your TT :D

ajames45

Post by ajames45 » 15 Nov 2019 18:36

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
13 Nov 2019 07:18
Greetings! I am a great fan of and happy owner of several linear tracking turntables. The viewtopic you referenced is a good guide, and likely describes and suggests the issues and solutions you seek. The worm and gear assembly is attached at the end of the shaft from the small motor under the lid that moves the sled and tonearm across the record surface. It will be self apparent upon removal of the top cover/lid. This is also where the small belt will be found. Replacement of the belt and application of lubricant of choice (dry teflon a good choice if dust a concern) will be straight forward and easy. Use white lithium grease on the worm gear, but only a minimum amount. Likewise with the sled, where a little goes a long way. A little DeOxit where needed,gentle cleaning and a new stylus or cartridge is normally all that is require to enjoy these TTs for another 20 years. Enjoy! 8)
Thank you for your response! I'll have to order those so it'll be a while before I'll get to use them. Also, what's the best way to remove the clamp?