Pictures needed for proper cable routing Technics SL-D5

turning japanese
redpackman

Pictures needed for proper cable routing Technics SL-D5

Post by redpackman » 18 Oct 2019 07:17

I have a Technics SL-D5 Could someone that has one in that series send me some pictures of the inside works of that fine unit. I want to see the proper routing of the record size selector cable as well as the proper placement of the Start/Reject switch rod.

Got it working, but the changer is not right, nor is the record size selector working at all. The start/reject switch is not working either. The unit will start when I manually move the arm off its rest and it will stop when I return it to the rest but there's no automatic start or stop to it yet. I have cleaned and checked that all the parts inside are lubed and working freely (no old hard grease), but I'm not sure I have all the levers lined up right.

Pictures badly needed. They'd probably work from an SL-D2 or SL-D3 too with regard to the Start/Reject and record size function(s).

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Pictures needed for proper cable routing Technics SL-D5

Post by musicmn » 18 Oct 2019 15:06

Hi redpackman, I have a bunch of pictures of the inside of the SLb5. I worked on a couple of them from the same customer last year. Here are some of the pictures I'll upload more on the second post. If you need more just PM me you're email and I'll will send you all I have. All these picture were taken when the mechanism was in the neutral position.
Attachments
Technics SL B5 034 (Copy).JPG
(144.38 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Technics SL B5 028 (Copy).JPG
(157.76 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Technics SL B5 027 (Copy).JPG
(115.73 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Technics SL B5 026 (Copy).JPG
(109.01 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Technics SL B5 024 (Copy).JPG
(158.4 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 18 Oct 2019 15:22

Here are a couple of more pictures I hope they help. Just take your time with the cable routeing if you start to get frustrated just walk way to cool down then try again. The first time I worked on one of these it took a while to get the routeing correct. Also make sure you disassemble the stacking mechanism that's attached to the white cam wheel you will find a bunch of old grease inside that metal housing. My picture of the stacking mechanism (first picture) is after I cleaned out all of the old grease.
Attachments
Technics SL B5 001 (Copy).JPG
(129.54 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Technics SL B5 031 (Copy).JPG
(99.61 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Technics SL B5 025 (Copy).JPG
(136.75 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Technics SL B5 023 (Copy).JPG
(130.74 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

redpackman

Post by redpackman » 26 Oct 2019 05:10

GREAT and very helpful pictures!! Thank you.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 26 Oct 2019 16:40

Hi redpackman, The rod that is on the angle coming from the start and stop switch in one of the pictures I posted and goes under the mechanism does not attach to any lever in the mechanism it attaches to the piece in my picture with the orange arrow. This piece pushes on the lever (second picture green arrow) that moves the trip pawls (third picture yellow arrow) which starts the mechanism. A couple of these pictures are from a Technics SL b3 which uses the same mechanism as the SL B5 & D5 for the most part. One of the reasons that your turntable is not turning off when the tonearm reaches the rest stand could be due to the trip pawls (yellow arrow third picture)being stuck from old grease. The picture showing the trip pawls is from a SLB3, on your turntable you will need to remove the white cam wheel to access the trip pawls. When the cam wheel is removed the trip pawls and the cam wheel can be cleaned of all the old grease. Also clean in between the trip pawls with a thin rag dipped in alcohol or you can soak them in alcohol. Once cleaned you can either leave the trip pawls dry from lubricant (they will work fine that way). Or if you have some very thin grease lightly apply grease to the area on the cam where they ride and in between the trip pawls. Hope fully this will end the constant cycling of the mechanism. Another reason the mechanism might be constantly cycling could be that the start /stop switch is dirty from old grease and needs cleaning or that the piece with the orange arrow is stuck and also needs to be removed, cleaned and fresh grease applied to the pivot point. I hope this helps
Attachments
Technics SL B3 turntable 007 (Copy).JPG
(100.26 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Technics SL B5 003 (Copy).JPG
(114.39 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Technics SL B3 turntable 008 (Copy).JPG
(148.16 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

redpackman

Post by redpackman » 26 Oct 2019 19:36

Wonderful Very helpful. Far better than the Technics "repair manual" which is silent on this stuff.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 27 Oct 2019 22:25

The biggest reason most if not all service manuals don't cover things like this is that when these turntables were made there were service centers still open. And if you had and issue with your turntable you just took it a service center and they would either fix it or give you a new one if your turntable was under warranty. But here we are 30 to 40+ years later and there are no service centers for almost anything today. So the only way to service one of these is to ask here or to do it your self or try to find someone in your area that may know how to do it. That's why this is such a great web site. You have a bunch of people from all across the world who are willing to share their knowledge of turntables, speakers, receivers, ect to help people out not to just blow their own horn.