Replacement cable

turning japanese
bashby
United States of America

Replacement cable

Post by bashby » 08 Oct 2019 08:09

Hi all,
I am very, very new to the vinyl scene, and I am not knowledgable in electronics at all. So, my apologies if these are stupid questions/concerns. I inherited a Technics SL-J3 but with no cables of any kind. I have been rooting around online trying to find a replacement AC cable. There are some on ebay listed for other models of Technics manufacture, but not for the SL-J3 (or the SL-J7 or SL-J2). Can those be used in a SL-J3? It looks like it just requires a standard (non-oriented) two-pin power cable. Are there minor differences between the different Technics models that would make it matter what AC cable I get? And, does anybody have any idea where I can find a decent AC cable--i.e., one where the wire won't split inside the housing after a while? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
B

georgesgiralt
France

Re: Replacement cable

Post by georgesgiralt » 08 Oct 2019 09:25

Hello,
No need to buy through Ebay. Go to Hoe depot or similar and buy a low power (your turntable use around 10 W of power, way less than a regular bulb) AC cable with a two pronged plug. Once you have this, get the service manual on the Library part of this site and devise where the AC cord should go. You may be forced to use a soldering iron, so.....
Remove the platter of your turntable, remove the headshell and secure the tonearm properly, close the turnable cover and turn the turnable upside down on a clean table in order not to marr the dust cover. Remove the underside of the turntable and affix the AC cable. And you should be good to go...

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 08 Oct 2019 11:59

Looking at the manual, I think that all that bashby needs is that :
cord.JPG
(34.93 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Any model will do.
Please bashby, can you make a picture of the AC socket at the back of your table ?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 08 Oct 2019 13:36

Indeed, if there is a socket on the turntable, all you need to do is match that with the appropriate plug.
You might find one at your local thrift store, and it does not matter what it originally came with.

Cheers,
Alec

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 08 Oct 2019 15:02

Alec124c41 wrote:
08 Oct 2019 13:36
Indeed, if there is a socket on the turntable, all you need to do is match that with the appropriate plug.
You might find one at your local thrift store, and it does not matter what it originally came with.

Cheers,
Alec
If there is such a socket, no need to open it up or solder. Just get the $199 cable and plug it in.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 08 Oct 2019 16:45

Lenjack I hope you left out a decimal point.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 08 Oct 2019 17:03

Oops #-o :oops: . I hope he reads your response, before he has a coronary. YES. 1.99.