Technics SL-D5 speed control board question(s)

turning japanese
redpackman

Technics SL-D5 speed control board question(s)

Post by redpackman » 02 Oct 2019 15:44

I have a Technics SL-D5 turntable, perfect in every way, but the speed control doesn't work. I've tried to de-oxit the contols....all of them and it has no effect. The platter just free-wheels. I understand it's a bad chip. Anyone have a replacement chip? Failing that here's my question: are the speed control boardss on the SL-D5 and SL-D3 the same, OR are there any other board that would be a direct replacement?

Other suggestions welcomed. I'd like to keep from parting this out if possible.

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Technics SL-D5 speed control board question(s)

Post by lenjack » 02 Oct 2019 15:55

You'll need to look in the service manual to see if the chips have the same part numbers. I suspect they do.

redpackman

Post by redpackman » 18 Oct 2019 07:02

Update. I got a speed control board from an SL-D2 and it seems to be the same thing. Now my speed is fine, but I'm having a very hard time getting the changer to work as well as the Start/Reject button to function. Something's not hooked up right. Anyone have a good picture of the inside of their D5, or D2 or D3 for that matter?

redpackman

Post by redpackman » 18 Oct 2019 07:04

Update. I got a speed control board from an SL-D2 and it seems to be the same thing. The changer on the D5 is totally different, but the board is an easy switch. Sure beats trying to track down one of the unobtanium chips and then soldering it in and just hoping.

Now my speed is fine, but I'm having a very hard time getting the changer to work, as well as the Start/Reject button to function. Something's not hooked up right. Anyone have a good picture of the inside of their D5, or D2 or D3 for that matter? I've cleaned all the stiff grease out and everything seems to be free but the levers and other levers aren't syncing properly.