Got my new to me SL-23 running! A few quick questions.

turning japanese
never0101

Got my new to me SL-23 running! A few quick questions.

Post by never0101 » 12 Sep 2019 18:26

So I'll start with pics cuz they will become relevant shortly.

Technics SL-23 https://imgur.com/a/gegRgIS

Hokay, so. A new belt, some contact cleaner in the switch and speed pots and a drop of oil in the spindle and motor and this thing runs dead quiet and speed locked right in.

First question is what would be the best way to polish up the dust cover? It's actually there and complete and not cracked so I'm already ahead of the game, so I'm not spending $100+ on a new one. Maybe like a 3m headlight restore out?

2nd question is there any way to get the yellowing off? You'll see in one picture where for some reason someone at some point put the technical spec plaque off I'd assume the back and plopped it right up top. The glue has long since degraded and it fell off during my dicking around. So it clearly shows the color the plinth used to be. Is this restorable? Or is it some sh**ty veneer that I'd have to change if I wanted to make it all the same again.

Lastly, what's going on with this headshell? I own an at-lp120 that just had a regular one that needs full alignment. This seems to have some kind of sled you mount the cart to, and then that Mount Into the headshell with a single screw, with only forward and back adjustments. Would this be the time and place for a technics overhang gage, where the angle is hard set by the sled so I just need to set distance?

I have a new at-vm95e cart I already bought for this, but now that I have the old one off, is that one "better" and maybe I should just find a new stylus? There's not much info out there about this specifically, besides it's just another in the at12 family. It looks like I could get a new aftermarket stylus for ~33 bucks. I had the older version of the 95 on the lp-120 and thought it sounded good so Im not entirely worried about just getting rid of the 1201, may hold on to the body and get a stylus down the road.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded s**t. It's been 3 years since I've had a turntable set up (everything has been in storage as we saved to buy a house, just bought a house a few months ago and finally am getting my music set up) and I'm super excited about what should be a nice upgrade from the lp120.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Got my new to me SL-23 running! A few quick questions.

Post by Alec124c41 » 12 Sep 2019 19:39

Start with washing the cover and the base. You might need some alcohol along with the dish soap.
The cover can, indeed, be polished with a headlight kit. You might get by with toothpaste.
The headshells are interchangeable, and easily available.

Cheers,
Alec

never0101

Post by never0101 » 12 Sep 2019 19:42

Yeah, i figured they were interchangeable, just curious about this one specifically, is the set up as easy as just getting the distance right? I don't have an over hang gauge, could I just use a regular protractor and just line the stylus point to the center point on the print out?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Sep 2019 14:50

A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.
Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.
If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.
If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.
When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.
When you have used a protractor, do not then try to adjust the cartridge to any other "overhang."

Cheers,
Alec