Disassembly of SL-Q3

turning japanese
PekkaSo

Disassembly of SL-Q3

Post by PekkaSo » 12 Sep 2019 00:21

Hello,

I bought recently a beautiful Technics SL-Q3 for 50 euros (~55 USD). Most of the
time turntable plays fine, however, randomly it jerks and makes rubbing noises.
I believe this can be fixed by cleaning old grease and regreasing where needed.

I downloaded service manual in VE library, but unfortunately manual is not
very clear to me. I have removed bottom board and turntable cover.
What is the good order taking apart and not to make damage? How to get
the automatic mechanism assembly out and cleaned? There seem to be gunk in
tonearm base inaccessible, as well.

Anyone familiar with this model? I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

-Pekka

PekkaSo

Re: Disassembly of SL-Q3

Post by PekkaSo » 15 Sep 2019 00:19

I reckon this is old news to most of the members here. Nonetheless, this is how I did it.

First I loosened the thin wire of memo repeat mechanism. Then I removed 7 screws holding the auto mechanism assembly and P.C.B. I didn´t bother unsolder joints as it really wasn´t necessary. By lifting and rotating whole block with motor just a liitle I was able to clean all or most of the dried
grease and regrease. It wasn´t too bad though.

Then, while base of the tonearm was exposed I opened the screws and spring of lift assembly bracket and lifted it up in order to fix the broken plastic rod and arm cue lever. I glued the rod and lever with slow setting epoxy with help of my little "vice" here. Bond seem to be strong enough and cue lever works perfectly now.
Tonearmbase.jpg
(207.88 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Epoxysetting.jpg
(130.17 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Gluedrod.jpg
(144.28 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Cueleverjpg.jpg
(110.35 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Also turntable auto mechanism seem to work smoothly, although I am a bit worried, because at some point of cleaning this little piece of metal 8 mm in outer dia. with hole in the middle dropped off probably from top/platter side of table, but I just can´t figure out what it is. Service manual lists washers and clips, but I am not sure this is even listed. I couldn´t find anyways... Does anyone have any idea?
Metalpiece.jpg
(139.26 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
-Pekka