Cleaning used technics sl-d3

turning japanese
peroneyca
Malaysia

Cleaning used technics sl-d3

Post by peroneyca » 06 Sep 2019 15:19

i bought a used technics sl-d3 for a decent price, and although everything works fine, the base is pretty dirty with some light scratches and what i assume to be nicotine stains around the switches. is there a way to safely clean it?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Cleaning used technics sl-d3

Post by Alec124c41 » 07 Sep 2019 04:47

Dish detergent and water, maybe some isopropyl alcohol, should do it.

Cheers,
Alec

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 07 Sep 2019 20:11

I bought one 11 months ago, in perfect condition, with bad tobacco stains, as well. Alcohol wipes will fix it. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies, and use a cotton swab as needed and/or the point of a semi sharp item. Terrific turntable. Don't hesitate to deox the pots if speed issues develop.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 08 Sep 2019 02:33

Hi, I agree completely with the warm soap and water I like to use Dawn dish soap then dip a rag in the mixer and wipe everything off. Old soft clean tooth brushes get right into the nooks and crannies without scratching. If the soap and water doesn't work then get some simple green cleaner. Spray the simple green on a rag and wipe everything clean. Simple green will not lift any printing on the plinth. To shine everything up use original windex again spray it on a clean rag and wipe everything clean never spray any cleaner directly onto the plinth it can leave spots. I've cleaned a lot of turntables and other equipment using these methods and the items look great afterwards. I hope this helps.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 08 Sep 2019 02:38

Mine was actually pretty clean, except for the tobacco stains, which is why I went right to the alcohol. Didn't do a trace of damage to the finish.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Sep 2019 03:43

The alcohol wipes are good...The local vintage audio techs I deal with have also recommended this product and they use it on all outer surfaces to clean up their equipment...You can get it at just about any Home Depot, through Amazon and probably a number of other retailers as well...According to them, it's very versatile and not just for glass...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sprayway-19 ... /202742037

https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Glass-C ... B0052V1JA2

Others have mentioned the Simple Green, too...I will say that the D3 is a fantastic machine and I love mine! It's definitely worth bringing up to snuff again! =D>