Distortion and Sibilance On Technics SL1500C

turning japanese
goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: Distortion and Sibilance On Technics SL1500C

Post by goatbreath » 30 Aug 2019 22:12

The Ortofon 2M Blue had a serious skating problem on my 1500 C..
I bought 3,,luckily I got to return them,they all skated violently...
There is a thread somewhere..
This doesn't happen with the Red in the slightest strangely....
I changed to Baerwald alignment for the Red and the distortion went away..
This is 49 mm in the shell instead of 52mm,the distortion decreased dramatically..
I tried the 2M Blue on a Rega and SME..
On the Rega it was really unstable,didn't pass tracking tests and it acted like it was really high compliance..
It was a disaster..
ON an SME 3009 S2 Detachable,it was still unstable and not a good tracker..

My first impulse was to get the Blue stylus too..

The AT VM 95 ML does indeed work well in the H form attached to a AT headshell..
Although this again is aligned to 52 MM Technics geometry when it comes from AT..
Baerwald makes a huge difference in distortion reduction..
The Denon DL110 in the heavier Sumiko headshell is truly brilliant..
Best match I have ever heard for that cartridge..
It also comes with it's own headshell alignment gauge which is really handy if working with detachable headshells....

The Nagaoka MP110 I found to sound non linear between frequencies and unbalanced..
I know this cartridge is touted as being a miracle,it is good,but nowhere near the AT VM 95 ML on my turntables..

The AT VM 95 ML is the best on the tracking tests on the 1500 C and can out track the RB250 with modded counterweight and the SME 3009 S2 detachable..I laid off the anti skate and reduced it again as I think an unnatural amount was used to pass the test,,but it passes band 4 with antiskate tweaked on the HIFI News Record in the 1500 Cs arm,hardly anything can pass that test...
The Denon and the Nagaoka on the SME 3009 S2 detached can't pass test 3 on the same record..
I know the test isn't everything,but it is still very impressive..

All just my experience,and the thing with the Blue doesn't really make sense,I know,
but there are reports of the same problems elsewhere too.. :)

Here's some Pictures of my Silver One,it slays my Sondek LP 12 for timing and detail,plus it has that timing that makes you want to boogie...I have 12 turntables,many looked on as very Audiophile..The 1500 C is as good of better than most of them..
The Syrinx PU 3 Audio Origami'd with PU 7 bearings and the Rewired Hadcock GH220 SS beat the 1500 C arm,the REGA and SME don't... :) When you look at prices though...The 1500 C arm is amazing..

I am shocked at how good the 1500 C is...
See the SL110 beside it..
The 1500 C is better I think..

There was a time because of what I read in magazines and other stuff surrounding Audiophillia,I wouldn't have touched a Technics Turntable.I was the same with arms with detachable headshells at one point too... :lol:

The 1500 C is a total bargain..I love mine.. :D
Syst 3.jpg
(112.14 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
WA2.jpg
(130.41 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
tech3.jpg
(124.32 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Tech4.jpg
(116.22 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Distortion and Sibilance On Technics SL1500C

Post by rewfew » 31 Aug 2019 17:10

If I was turntable hunting, that would be my go to. Love the elegant look without the strobe marks on the platter, or strobe. Not needed. Quartz lock reliability. No pitch control. Never used mine on the mk5 I have. So, everything you need with no extraneous extras.
goatbreath wrote:
30 Aug 2019 22:12
There was a time because of what I read in magazines and other stuff surrounding Audiophillia,I wouldn't have touched a Technics Turntable.I was the same with arms with detachable headshells at one point too...
If the KAB fluid damper fits, that would be the only improvement you might be interested in. Glad you report excellent performance with it. They are all great tables.