spindle oil for sp 15?

turning japanese
Post Reply
Pitini
member
member
Posts: 29
Joined: 29 Oct 2012 08:14

spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by Pitini » 23 Aug 2019 09:59

Hi,

What oil can I use for the centre bearing of a SP 15?

Thanks

Philip Muir

JaS
engine room
engine room
Posts: 11234
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 16:32

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by JaS » 23 Aug 2019 15:34

The original Technics oil SFWO 010 (Anderol 465) is available from KAB at a reasonable price.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm

Pitini
member
member
Posts: 29
Joined: 29 Oct 2012 08:14

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by Pitini » 23 Aug 2019 20:41

Thanks!

Pitini
member
member
Posts: 29
Joined: 29 Oct 2012 08:14

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by Pitini » 24 Aug 2019 09:17

JaS wrote:
23 Aug 2019 15:34
The original Technics oil SFWO 010 (Anderol 465) is available from KAB at a reasonable price.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm
Would this be suitable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Turnta ... Sw3sJakwBO

Thanks

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11127
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by cafe latte » 24 Aug 2019 09:35

Pitini wrote:
24 Aug 2019 09:17
JaS wrote:
23 Aug 2019 15:34
The original Technics oil SFWO 010 (Anderol 465) is available from KAB at a reasonable price.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm
Would this be suitable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Turnta ... Sw3sJakwBO

Thanks
Why would not just buy what was linked, the stuff online could be cooking oil. The stuff from Kabusa is the correct oil.
Chris

JaS
engine room
engine room
Posts: 11234
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 16:32

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by JaS » 24 Aug 2019 11:01

Pitini wrote:
24 Aug 2019 09:17
JaS wrote:
23 Aug 2019 15:34
The original Technics oil SFWO 010 (Anderol 465) is available from KAB at a reasonable price.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm
Would this be suitable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Turnta ... Sw3sJakwBO

Thanks
The seller claims the oil is 'Identical Specification and Grade as used by Rega'

Rega recommend Comma Hypoid EP80, Castrol EPX80w/90 or Shell Spirax EP90 so I presume that's what he is selling?

Technics oil is Anderol 465 which is an ISO Grade 68 synthetic diester-based lubricant. This is trickier to get hold of and more expensive in quantity (but cheap enough from KAB).

Would the eBay oil work OK? Probably, but if you want to try gear oil there's no need to spend £6 for a tiny vial of unknown brand/quality. You should be able to pick up a 500ml bottle at a local car store for a similar price to the 10ml vial on eBay

KentT
long player
long player
Posts: 4407
Joined: 13 Mar 2008 19:44
Location: Athens, TN

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by KentT » 24 Aug 2019 13:55

Use what Technics recommended. Which is the KABUSA oil. It's what Technics used from the factory in their turntables, which is a turbine oil, that oil in the last post is NOT recommended for a Technics.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1574
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 24 Aug 2019 17:32

Technics spindles are self lubricating. They suck up the oil and then release it during use as needed, provided it is the right oil as regards viscosity, molecular size, etc... Anderol 465 is the oil they used and a small vial of it was shipped with their turntables. You can get a small bottle of Anderol 465 thru the net in the USA and you will have enough for several life times (you can also use it for other matters).

Alternatively, KAB will get you what you need for years as indicated above.

I have been accused of promoting "exotic oils" in the past for posts like this. However, why not use what Technics used and recommended?

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

Pitini
member
member
Posts: 29
Joined: 29 Oct 2012 08:14

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by Pitini » 24 Aug 2019 21:32

Thank you all for your reply.

I will buy the correct oil from KAB.

However, I live in a field in the middle of nowhere New Zealand. So much of the small stuff I buy from overseas just never shows up in my mailbox.

I hoped I could go to a local bearing shop or similar and beg a drop or two instead of waiting weeks for something that might or might not appear.

Thank you again.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11127
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: spindle oil for sp 15?

Post by cafe latte » 24 Aug 2019 23:31

Pitini wrote:
24 Aug 2019 21:32
Thank you all for your reply.

I will buy the correct oil from KAB.

However, I live in a field in the middle of nowhere New Zealand. So much of the small stuff I buy from overseas just never shows up in my mailbox.

I hoped I could go to a local bearing shop or similar and beg a drop or two instead of waiting weeks for something that might or might not appear.

Thank you again.
I live on over 600 acres in Australia two hours from a city near a small town, I have never lost any item of post yet (touch wood). I would be taking to your post person. Kab delivers tracked anyway so it might be worth buying a couple of things to save on postage.
Chris

Post Reply