Technics SL1200M3D Tonearm bearing binding

turning japanese
soundaudiorepair

Technics SL1200M3D Tonearm bearing binding

Post by soundaudiorepair » 12 Aug 2019 23:43

Hi,

I am working on a Technics M3D. The tonearm bearing seems to be messed up. It cannot "float", instead it either slams back into the arm rest or all the way to the spindle if it is moved anywhere in the middle.

It does this both with antiskate at zero and the antiskate mechanism removed completely. I actually completely removed the arm so that it was just the arm and the pivot and it still does it.

I'm thinking it is either the pivot screws not being at the correct tightness or damage to the ball bearings. I can get it to float when I loosen up the pivot screw slightly, but I'm worried this is less then ideal. What are my options?

cytovette
United States of America

Re: Technics SL1200M3D Tonearm bearing binding

Post by cytovette » 13 Aug 2019 20:01

I have an M3D and recently mine started drifting to a spot about 1/2" outside of the record. Turntable perfectly level and the anti-skate would slow it down but not stop it. I probably should note that I replaced the curved tube with a carbon fiber straight tube a long time ago.

I figured I had bad bearings and nothing to lose so I adjusted them. Tighter made it worse. Loosening didn't help so I adjusted it back to where it was.

So later I completely removed the outer locking collar on the top, intending to try oil. When I removed the locking collar there was an incredible amount of play (at this point I had not moved the inner adjusting screw). So I turned the locking screw in until the play was gone, it took about 1/3 to 1/2 of a turn.

I completely removed the inner screw and put a drop of turntable bearing on it. Replaced the inner screw and tightened it till there was no discernible play. Then I replaced the locking collar.

The tonearm has been working perfectly since.

I am NOT advocating that you fiddle with your bearings as doing so can render them useless. But actually had adjusted Technics tonearm bearings before and in this case it was a last ditch effort before replacing them.

soundaudiorepair

Re: Technics SL1200M3D Tonearm bearing binding

Post by soundaudiorepair » 14 Aug 2019 17:45

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Sam