Question for owners of Technics SL-QL5

turning japanese
bmundus

Question for owners of Technics SL-QL5

Post by bmundus » 07 Aug 2019 02:17

So I got a SL-QL5 in a trade and it worked but needed a belt, cleaning and regressing. So after doing those things, the stylus touches the record when the arm is in the up position and makes the record stop in the down. I have no idea how this happened, I got the service manual and followed it. Maybe there was some kind of bumper that held the dustcover/lid up bit but I do not see it in the service manual.
So I have two questions:
1, Is there a bumper or something that holds the lid up a bit?
2, How high is the stylus off the record when in the up position?
There is one more thing, the record brake(?) I guess is what it is, would not retract all the way so I taped it back. Could this some how be at fault for the arm being too low?
Thank you for any help and sorry if this is in the wrong category.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Question for owners of Technics SL-QL5

Post by fscl » 11 Aug 2019 16:45

bmundus wrote:
07 Aug 2019 02:17
.....snippage.....Maybe there was some kind of bumper that held the dustcover/lid up bit but I do not see it in the service manual.
So I have two questions:
1, Is there a bumper or something that holds the lid up a bit?
2, How high is the stylus off the record when in the up position?
There is one more thing, the record brake(?) I guess is what it is, would not retract all the way so I taped it back. Could this some how be at fault for the arm being too low?
Thank you for any help and sorry if this is in the wrong category.
Do not have a QL5, however, pretty much all Technics linears operate similarly...... :-k

1. The stock bumpers (nubs) should provide clearance for the tonearm to pass without touching the LP on the platter.
2. The tonearm "rests" typically about 3/8 - 1/2" above the surface of the LP.

Is the platter sitting on the truncated spindle correctly ? Is there any foreign particle in the platter spindle hole that would raise the platter ? Is the platter mat seated correctly ? Is the 45 adapter retracted / pressed down with the weight of the LP ?

Does the tonearm move freely vertically ? Is the solenoid fully extended when the tonearm is not playing an LP ? Or power disrupted ? I'm thinking there's in the operation of the solenoid and the cueing system.

Troubleshoot the areas which decrease the clearance between the platter and the tonearm.

Good luck

Fred

bmundus

Re: Question for owners of Technics SL-QL5

Post by bmundus » 17 Aug 2019 04:52

Thank you,
So I have finally had some time to mess around with the QL5. When I first was cleaning it I only took off the cover for the belt and the under cover to clean. When I pulled the under cover I had some bits of paper and cardboard fall out from somewhere. I was hoping that was not keeping it running but I believe it was. So this last time I was trying to fallow advice and I gave up and was in process of parting it out when I got to removing the tone arm assembly from the dust cover. Somehow in me flipping it over to clean the underside and check the ground wire, the tone arm position indicator got dislodge and was pushing the tone arm down. So if anyone has a similar issue that will be it, it will more or less work just not at the right height. But in the processes I have noticed that those pieces of cardboard and paper were "helping" faulty switches. What is this type of switch called?
IMG_0570.jpg
(128.43 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

I want to get a button/switch/toggle to replace this "auto" switch that is not working. I tried an on/off and that did not work, I think it is a loop on one side and a connection on the other.

I also noticed that the tone arm if I put the cover for the belt drive back on, the record will only play about half way and will get stuck, if I remove the cover it will play as it is supposed.
Is this piece bent/warped?
IMG_0574.jpg
(141.47 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Because that is the only thing I see that could be impeding the tracking. Thank you again for any help.