SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

turning japanese
Post Reply
Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Sterling1 » 18 Jun 2019 11:53

The Technics Operator's Manual for the SL-1200/1210GR shows the arm ring locking lever in a locked condition at 3:00. My unit's lever reaches a hard stop at about 1:30 as do others according to reports. And, some report that to get the lever to 3:00 requires great force and once in the 3:00 position the lever cannot be un-locked. At any rate, the use of the phrase "some force" in the instructions seems too vague for an understanding for how much force needs to be applied to get the lever to the 3:00 position; and, since my lever hits a hard stop at 1:30 which does indeed lock the arm ring, I wonder what's the point of forcing the lever to3:00 and would forcing the lever to 3:00 damage the TT?

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 829
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Shadowman82 » 19 Jun 2019 02:07

Not sure if the new one are different but I recall the last time I had to unlock it on my SL-1200 I actually had to use a flat head screwdriver to get it to even unlock but maybe that was because it hadn't been used in a while . In any case nothing was damaged by doing so .

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Sterling1 » 19 Jun 2019 02:57

Shadowman82 wrote:
19 Jun 2019 02:07
Not sure if the new one are different but I recall the last time I had to unlock it on my SL-1200 I actually had to use a flat head screwdriver to get it to even unlock but maybe that was because it hadn't been used in a while . In any case nothing was damaged by doing so .
A lot of conversation about this subject at Steve Hoffman Music Forums. I did not think much about this when setting up my GR. I just thought better not force the lever and instructions must be bad.

LoudPaper
member
member
Great Britain
Posts: 225
Joined: 23 Mar 2019 14:57

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by LoudPaper » 19 Jun 2019 14:38

Mine was the same when new. Increasing and lowering the height seems to free up the mechanism.
I found that if the locking lever wasn't moving all the way, then lowering and increasing the height 1 or 2mm (without locking), then setting to the correct height and locking seems to make locking easier.

just locking
45769

after increasing and lowering the height
45770

both used the same light effort.

And it can take some force to release the lever after it's been locked for some time. But yes the instructions are a bit vague, and I do have the same concerns about forcing the arm lock.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Sterling1 » 20 Jun 2019 12:30

LoudPaper wrote:
19 Jun 2019 14:38
Mine was the same when new. Increasing and lowering the height seems to free up the mechanism.
I found that if the locking lever wasn't moving all the way, then lowering and increasing the height 1 or 2mm (without locking), then setting to the correct height and locking seems to make locking easier.

just locking
45769

after increasing and lowering the height
45770

both used the same light effort.

And it can take some force to release the lever after it's been locked for some time. But yes the instructions are a bit vague, and I do have the same concerns about forcing the arm lock.
I followed your instructions, which resulted in the lever still coming to a hard stop in the 1-1:30 arena, where continued application of moderate force could not produce more movement toward a 3:00 position. Interesting. BTW, my VTA adjustment arm ring is set to Zero to accomodate a 15mm Shure cartridge/2mm shim residing in stock headshell. I'm wondering now, perhaps, it's the Zero setting which precludes movement of lever to 3:00?

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 829
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Shadowman82 » 21 Jun 2019 21:18

Can the height ring actually be moved with the lever in the position you have it at now ? If not then it's locked and I wouldn't try to force it anymore .

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Sterling1 » 22 Jun 2019 11:57

Shadowman82 wrote:
21 Jun 2019 21:18
Can the height ring actually be moved with the lever in the position you have it at now ? If not then it's locked and I wouldn't try to force it anymore .
Yes, when turned clockwise to the hard stop at about 1:00-1:30 the arm ring does indeed lock and that's as far as moderate force will move the locking lever.

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 829
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Shadowman82 » 23 Jun 2019 22:22

Ok I'd leave it there then .

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: SL-1200/1210GR arm ring locking lever concern

Post by Sterling1 » 26 Jun 2019 02:27

Someone posting at the Steve Hoffman Music Forum says Technics told him after adjusting the arm ring the lever should be turned to the hard stop and if at the hard stop the arm ring is indeed locked the lever need not be forced further. It appears the instructions for the GR are just poorly written. The G and the 1500c do not have any illustration to confuse as does the GR manual.

Post Reply