SL 1200GR - Turntable ot tank?

turning japanese
davidpr

SL 1200GR - Turntable ot tank?

Post by davidpr » 22 May 2019 21:54

I decided to move my equipment to a different place in the room. I put my TT on a high cabinet to be safe except that it was not, I somehow knocked it off onto the floor.

You can imagine the sickness feeling as I looked at my TT upside down on the floor.

So I put it all back together, set up the arm etc and tested it, bad news the sound kept cutting out but I tracked this to possibly being the cartridge and perhaps the headshell.

I got a new cartridge and headshell, put it all back together and it WORKS, what a machine! I thought it would be a lot worse but this shows how strong these TT's are.

Don't try this at home though!

hedgehog35
Scotland

Re: SL 1200GR - Turntable ot tank?

Post by hedgehog35 » 28 May 2019 18:12

davidpr wrote:
22 May 2019 21:54
I decided to move my equipment to a different place in the room. I put my TT on a high cabinet to be safe except that it was not, I somehow knocked it off onto the floor.

You can imagine the sickness feeling as I looked at my TT upside down on the floor.

So I put it all back together, set up the arm etc and tested it, bad news the sound kept cutting out but I tracked this to possibly being the cartridge and perhaps the headshell.

I got a new cartridge and headshell, put it all back together and it WORKS, what a machine! I thought it would be a lot worse but this shows how strong these TT's are.

Don't try this at home though!
That's reassuring, but I don't think I will test it with mine.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 29 May 2019 22:51

It's both! Built like a tank, spins like a ballerina. Now put it on something built more like it. You put it to the ultimate test. Glad it passed.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 30 May 2019 03:36

It obviously didn't land on the arm or platter.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 30 May 2019 04:51

I have to ask......Safe from what? I have to assume pets or children. Something like a TT really wants to be in a position of easy access and functionality....the top of the cabinet does not sound like that place. Glad the TT doesn't seem to be any worse for wear, but I have to think you dodged the bullet on this. Enjoy the robust build and sonic excellence.....carefully! Cheers! :D

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 02 Jun 2019 16:25

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
30 May 2019 04:51
I have to ask......Safe from what? I have to assume pets or children. Something like a TT really wants to be in a position of easy access and functionality....the top of the cabinet does not sound like that place. Glad the TT doesn't seem to be any worse for wear, but I have to think you dodged the bullet on this. Enjoy the robust build and sonic excellence.....carefully! Cheers! :D
I wonder if the higher a TT is placed on a bookcase the more the TT is subjected to floor resonances, since the higher the TT is from ground the less stable it will be? My turntables are in 19 inch deep shelves in very, very heavy cabinets, which so far have prevented TT damage and allowed good access. I do however need better lighting to properly cue LP's.
46800700234_0d6a646482_z.jpg
(63.58 KiB) Downloaded 35 times