Sld-3 tonearm rest position

turning japanese
Frisbee7

Sld-3 tonearm rest position

Post by Frisbee7 » 19 May 2019 00:46

When the tonearm returns to rest position it moves to back toward the platter before lowering to its rest position and comes down on the left side of the rest instead of where it should be. Is there any adjustment possible? Thanks, Mike.

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Sld-3 tonearm rest position

Post by lenjack » 19 May 2019 03:38

Check the manual in the library.

Frisbee7

Post by Frisbee7 » 19 May 2019 05:23

I checked both manuals no mention of this, must be a rare problem...

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 20 May 2019 01:02

Hi Frisbee7, you will never find and answer for the kind problem you are having with this turntable because Technics and other manufacturers never came across this problem with new turntables. The problem you are having can be described in a couple of words it's old dried up grease in the mechanism. With this turntable being a full automatic type there is a lever in the mechanism call a Index lever/plate as Technics calls it. Most likely this index plate is stuck or stiff from old grease so the tonearm cannot locate where to drop into a record properly. Now I have worked on a couple of SL D2's & D3's in the past but I only have pictures of the D2 mechanism. And unfortunately it does not show the index plate because the D2 is a semi auto turntable. But if you go to page 17 of the service manual for the SLD3 and look for item number 88 it's on the right hand side of the page. That's the index plate and it is not easy to get at. Most of the mechanism on this model is located on the top side on the lager plate that holds the parts. When you remove the bottom of the turntable all you see is the bottom of the plate plate and a couple of parts. This plate will need to be removed and flip over so the mechanism can be accessed. In my first picture you can see the plate that the parts are mounted to. The second picture is showing the top side of the plate with all the parts for the SLD2. Don't be fooled by the black graphite grease it may look good but it is now contaminated from dust and dirt and 30 odd years of life. So every part in the mechanism including the index plate must be removed and cleaned with alcohol or similar cleaner. Then lightly grease with super lube grease as it is assembled. I have been using super lube grease in every turntable I service and it works great and it's easily available. Once you have this mechanism cleaned, lubricated with fresh grease and the turntable assembled again. Then any adjustments can be made if they are required. After that you should have a very nice functioning turntable. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Technics SL D2 turntable 001 (Copy).JPG
When you remove the bottom of the turntable this is what you find.
(192.64 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Technics SL D2 turntable 007 (Copy).JPG
This is a pic of the mechanism removed and turned over for disassembly and cleaning. The yellow arrow is showing the location of the index lever for the SLD3. the red arrow is just showing old grease.
(131.69 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

Frisbee7

Post by Frisbee7 » 20 May 2019 05:51

Musicmn to the rescue again! You are awesome thank you very much,, Mike.