Technics SL-23 turntable slowing down over time

turning japanese
pcoleff

Technics SL-23 turntable slowing down over time

Post by pcoleff » 18 May 2019 13:18

Hi all,

I recently got technics SL-23 at the thrift store. I replaced the belt on it, lubed up the pitch knobs, and speed switch, as well as put a new stylus on it. I noticed, though, that even when the pitch knob was turned all the way to +, it was still playing slow. I tried opening it up and adjusting the variable resistor and that made it so I could get it to the correct speed. But it's still slowing down. Basically, what happens is that it starts a little fast, then gradually gets slower. This is independent of the tonearm's place on the record. So it'll get slower and I can bring the tonearm back to the beginning of the record and it'll still be slow. Then, if I turn the turnable off for awhile and start it again, it'll go back to the previous speed, but gradually start slowing down again. Any suggestions as to what to do? I thought maybe that the motor would need some oil, but the service manual basically says that that motor doesn't require oil and doesn't tell me what kind I should use. Thank you for your help
Patrick

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Technics SL-23 turntable slowing down over time

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 May 2019 15:06

After ~40 years, a bit of oil will help. A drop of sewing machine oil to the motor shaft, under the pulley, will run into the bearing. Also get a few drops into the spindle bearing, under the platter. Ideally, you would remove the spindle, and clean out the bearing well, before adding fresh oil.

Cheers,
Alec

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 18 May 2019 17:16

The SL-23 has a known issue along with others, regarding the speed adjustment pots.
By lubed did you mean cleaned? You would have to get at them from the bottom and not a spray
from the top.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 May 2019 20:06

What do you mean by lubing the pitch knobs? You didn't oil them, did you? That's a no-no. If you meant cleaned with contact cleaner, that's OK. If oiled, I think they need to be replaced.

pcoleff

Post by pcoleff » 18 May 2019 21:02

No, I didn't mean oil in the pots. I used deoxit, the same stuff I've used on my keyboard pots. They seem to be working well. In fact, they are operating a lot better than before I cleaned them. I've bought some sewing machine oil, as recommended by this board, to try and lubricate the motor shaft and spindle.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 May 2019 22:33

If you haven't used the oil yet, get yourself some of this Technics oil.https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 19 May 2019 06:05

That Technics oil is not necessary (nor probably desired) for a Technics belt drive. Direct drive ... yes for sure. For the SL-23 with the standard bearing-well style spindle, a light oil like the sewing machine oil is just fine.

I've had to disassemble the 45-off-33 switch on these tables to get them clean ... and that had a huge impact on steady speed.

That approach can't hurt (unless parts of the switch are lost / damaged / reassembled incorrectly) ... however with this situation I'm wondering if failing capacitors and / or failing variable resistors (internal trimpots) are causing the problem?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 May 2019 16:33

Yes, there may be internal trimpots.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 19 May 2019 17:40

lenjack wrote:
19 May 2019 16:33
Yes, there may be internal trimpots.
I can assure you there are trim pots in the SL-23. OP did adjust them (post 1). Clearly identified in the service manual.

Electone

Post by Electone » 24 May 2019 00:19

The SL-23 came from the factory with a dark grease in the spindle bearing well. I have yet to service one where the grease had hardened (unlike JVC and Pioneer). But, it's still a good idea to clean it all out and replace the grease with fresh oil. Beware not to lose the tiny ball bearing at the end of the spindle.

Melbourne_calling
Australia

Post by Melbourne_calling » 25 May 2019 17:39

Hi, a friend recently had a very similar problem with his Technics SL-23. i.e after cleaning the pots with a contact cleaner, it still wasn't holding correct speed. I suggested he read this short article written by someone in a similar predicament, and their solution to the problem. Basically he changed 5 or 6 electrolytic capacitors in the speed control section as suggested in the article, and it cured the problem.
Here is the link to the article
http://www.artandtechnology.com.au/audi ... -sl23.html
good luck with it, hope it helps.
cheers