Longevity of Technics suspension

turning japanese
VinylDan1
United States of America

Re: Longevity of Technics suspension

Post by VinylDan1 » 01 Jun 2019 22:57

I have found that these suspension systems do indeed wear out. MY QX300 has the same thing, and it was so worn out that the platter was scraping the chassis. I used a rubber glove to fix it the best I could, as the parts are not available. It seems the rubber piece wears out, although the spring could be worn out as well.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 05 Jun 2019 10:21

VinylDan1 wrote:
01 Jun 2019 22:57
I have found that these suspension systems do indeed wear out. MY QX300 has the same thing, and it was so worn out that the platter was scraping the chassis. I used a rubber glove to fix it the best I could, as the parts are not available. It seems the rubber piece wears out, although the spring could be worn out as well.
Well, thank you very much! I appreciate your time and willingness to help. This is how I'll try to repay you; hopefully you'll have more use of it if you live across the Atlantic, on the America side:

https://organdonorparts.com/Technics-SL ... 9_c674.htm

This is where you might find replacing parts and they don't seem unreasonably expensive. I don't have much use of them as the shipping would probably kill me.

Thanks again, VinylDan1!

jdhorn1

Post by jdhorn1 » 16 Jun 2019 18:43

Some tables rubber suspension boots over time start coming apart. Here's what I did for my SL-1310 MK II. And have done with other rubber boot suspensions. As long as all the rubber boot parts are there, if any have rips or starting to come apart, if the parts are still fairly whole. I super glue the ones that have come apart and let that dry. If any holes use electrical or plastic tape to cover them. Them get some liquid tape or the rubber dip for tools at a parts store. Coat the boot and let it dry. Might not look pretty as fresh rubber but it strengthens the boot so it can be used as originally intended. Just put them back on the 1310 & no more platter scrub.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Jun 2019 19:58

That's OK if they're coming apart, but it doesn't help if the rubber is hardening and/or losing its resiliency.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 26 Jun 2019 13:20

jdhorn1 wrote:
16 Jun 2019 18:43
Some tables rubber suspension boots over time start coming apart. Here's what I did for my SL-1310 MK II. And have done with other rubber boot suspensions. As long as all the rubber boot parts are there, if any have rips or starting to come apart, if the parts are still fairly whole. I super glue the ones that have come apart and let that dry. If any holes use electrical or plastic tape to cover them. Them get some liquid tape or the rubber dip for tools at a parts store. Coat the boot and let it dry. Might not look pretty as fresh rubber but it strengthens the boot so it can be used as originally intended. Just put them back on the 1310 & no more platter scrub.
Rubber parts are OK. But thank you for your help. It seems, by all accounts, I have the platter scrub problem. I was watching the platter turn and every full circle, on the same spot the stylus sort of jumps up ever so slightly as if it's being catapulted from below. I'm still guessing, but this could easily be the moment when the platter hits whatever it hits.

I really hope this is the case. I'm getting tired of fixing this TT. I want to get it done. If it's the platter scrub, I'll fix it easily. I hope it's not something to do with the bearings.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 26 Jun 2019 13:30

lenjack wrote:
16 Jun 2019 19:58
That's OK if they're coming apart, but it doesn't help if the rubber is hardening and/or losing its resiliency.
Thank you as well, lenjack. The rubber didn't harden either. I can still stretch it or squash it and it is pretty resiliant. Never directly under the sun, we're a non-smoking family, etc.

I just think that the springs themselves sat all the way down over time due to gravity itself and the weight of the platter and the records.

This will be an easy test though. I'll insert rubber rings between the rubber bell and the spring. One single ring each foot, all the way down where the spring is the widest and where the bottom chassis actually sits on the suspension.

This way I'll, sort of, prolong the spring's excurssion to decern if this is causing the problem.

This won't be my final remedy. I'll use this experiment just to determine the cause.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 26 Jun 2019 13:36

VinylDan1 wrote:
01 Jun 2019 22:57
After much deliberation, I'm coming to the same conclusion. I'm slowly rulling out the acoustic feedback since I took my TT to another room to test whether the pulsating will diminish. It didn't. (Don't worry; the cable length for the TT remaind the same, I extended the cable between the preamp and amp).

After a very close inspection for the 100th time, I've managed to notice slight repetitive jumps of the tone arm every full circle of the platter; I'm guessing it's the point at which the platter hits the chassis.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 27 Jun 2019 15:02

I'm sorry to say, I was wrong. No matter how much I decouple the upper and lower chassis, everything remains the same. A member in another forum is proposing that a stator could do this in a tye of direct drive Technics made. I hope it's not. I couldn't fix that.

I'll still check the bearings and the automatic-stopping mechanism. I'll let you know if I find anything worthwile.

chgc

Post by chgc » 28 Jun 2019 05:02

When those rubber cups disintegrate to the point where the platter hits the plinth, something needs to be done. Assuming a simple adjustment with a deep 7 mm socket won’t fix it, the simplest solution, in my opinion, would be to install shipping screws to raise the platter so it doesn't rub, and set the turntable on a shelf or platform to isolate.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 28 Jun 2019 09:36

chgc wrote:
28 Jun 2019 05:02
When those rubber cups disintegrate to the point where the platter hits the plinth, something needs to be done. Assuming a simple adjustment with a deep 7 mm socket won’t fix it, the simplest solution, in my opinion, would be to install shipping screws to raise the platter so it doesn't rub, and set the turntable on a shelf or platform to isolate.
Exactly what I did, but my problem was not fixed. I think it's not the suspension after all. I have to examne other options.

jdhorn1

Post by jdhorn1 » 28 Jun 2019 21:56

chgc wrote:
28 Jun 2019 05:02
Did the same thing with the transit screws with my 1310 MK II. But I had to have it apart to fix the cue gear, so fixed the rubber cups. Now no rubbing. As mentioned in another post, if the rubber has hardened, then they need to be replaced with a substitute.

chgc

Post by chgc » 29 Jun 2019 19:29

Sorry to hear that, Luxman78. Have you removed the platter to check for any small bits of metallic (or other) debris stuck to the magnet?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 29 Jun 2019 20:30

I'm wondering if the problem is the suspension, after all. I say this, because many of our member have similar type suspensions as yours, but I'm not seeing any other similar complaints. Time to look elsewhere, perhaps?

chgc

Post by chgc » 30 Jun 2019 03:23

Now that I think about it, it’s not clear to me how suspension deterioration would cause the platter to hit the plinth.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 30 Jun 2019 20:28

Think some more. This is platter suspension from the plinth, not the turntable suspension from the platform from which it is placed on.