New to the SL-3200

turning japanese
busterdan

New to the SL-3200

Post by busterdan » 16 Jan 2019 02:00

Hi all... further to my message two days ago I decided to buy the SL-3200 I mentioned.

It seems to be in great condition although now it's at home I have immediately noticed some skate issues. I want to fit a different cartridge and headshell anyway so we may just be looking at setup issues here but.....

Issue one - I have rebalanced the tonearm, it's fitted with what I think is the original Technics cartridge with tracking weight at around 1.7gm. Setting the anti-skate tot he same value has resulted in a strange issue, if I cue up the tone arm (so it's sitting on the rest) it will move from the centre of the record back towards the rest. If I reduce anti skate to around 1 the tone arm will stay where it has raised. I wonder if the TT may not be level or perhaps the rest it not level, it is slightly frustrating though because the anti-skate is not set correctly I suppose and raising/lowering the tonearm results in it resuming somewhere completely different.

Only other thing that might not be quite right is the cueing rise and fall.... it takes forever to particularly rise so i wondered if there anything I can do to make this smoother but with less tonearm movement when it's perched on the rest.

Thanks

Electone

Re: New to the SL-3200

Post by Electone » 17 Jan 2019 00:10

Clean the arm lifter rubber and the bottom of the tonearm that touches it with alcohol.

busterdan

Post by busterdan » 23 Jan 2019 15:08

Electone wrote:
17 Jan 2019 00:10
Clean the arm lifter rubber and the bottom of the tonearm that touches it with alcohol.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 25 Jan 2019 02:30

Hi, I wouldn't worry to much about the anti skate being less the the tracking force. Setting the A.S. to the same setting as the tracking force is just a place to start. On some turntables the A.S. has to be set higher then the tracking force on some it needs to be set lower it all depends on the cart and the tonearm. As it has been mentioned clean both the top of the cue elevator and the under side of the tonearm with alcohol where the tonearm rides on the cue elevator. This can Help the tonearm to stay in one spot as the tonearm is lowered. Another thing to try is to lightly sand the top of the cue elevator with 220 grit sand paper this will sightly ruffen up the surface so the tonearm won't slip as it lowered onto a record. But always make sure the turntable is level using a small bubble level first. Now as to the problem with the tonearm raising slowly. Technics and a lot of other turntable manufactures used Silicone damping fluid to slow the drop rate of the tonearm. This damping fluid is usually 300,000wt or 500,000wt depending again on the manufacture. Over time two things can happen to this damping fluid. The most common problem is that the damping fluid leaks out and the tonearm drop like a rock onto a record. The second issue as in your case the damping fluid gets very thick from age and it causes everything covered in the damping fluid to become stuck and these parts can hardly move. The biggest problem is it's not and easy fix. In the case of your turntable the entire mechanism must be removed and the tonearm wires unsoldered. Then everything associated with the tonearm including the tonearm must be removed. Then everything can be cleaned of old damping fluid and old grease and the new damping fluid can be put on the cue piston and everything else lightly greased and assembled. If you down load the service manual for this model from the library go to page 11 - 12. Look for part number 74 that's the bracket lift ass'y. The cue piston is located inside that part. And from the exploded view you can see just how much of the mechanism must be removed just to fix this issue. If you try to add a little oil to the cue piston the tonearm will work better for a short time. But usually oil will wash the old silicone damping fluid out and the tonearm will start to drop like a rock. Sorry for the long post but I hope something here helps.

busterdan

Post by busterdan » 25 Jan 2019 07:21

That is a brilliant post many thanks for taking the time.

Dan