How to repair SL-B3 automatic functions?

turning japanese
CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

How to repair SL-B3 automatic functions?

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 14 Jan 2019 21:59

Hi,

I'm about to buy an SL-B3 that has a new stylus needle and has a one year warranty for 100$. The problem is that the turntable needs new parts in order for the automatic functions to work. I was hoping someone could let me know how difficult this repair would be on my own and what parts I would potentially need. Thanks and let me know if you need anything else

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: How to repair SL-B3 automatic functions?

Post by musicmn » 15 Jan 2019 03:23

Hi, it hard to answer your question with out knowing what parts are missing. Most likely the gear that's attached to the spindle which is needed for the auto return function is cracked from age. This gear is available on ebay and I believe the repair can be done with out removing the entire mechanism. If the mechanism must be removed On this model its a real PIA because of a cable used for the multi play feature. I've included a couple of pictures that show the gear that usually cracks or breaks and the cable that must be removed ( the spring is where the cable is) so the mechanism can be removed. As long as the white cam gear and the rest of the parts shown in my picture are present then making this turntable work as it should can be done.
Attachments
Technics SL B3 turntable 009 (Copy).JPG
Red arrow is showing the spindle gear that usually cracked.
(156.55 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Technics SL B5 028 (Copy).JPG
This is a picture of and SL B5 but the cable used for the multi feature is the same.
(157.79 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 15 Jan 2019 23:45

Yea sorry I don't have the table yet. I'm seeing it on Thursday so I'll ask the guy if the gear is messed up. If it is I'll let you know and post a different post once I figure it out and repair it. Hopefully I purchase it and let you know. Thanks!

CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 18 Jan 2019 03:26

musicmn wrote:
15 Jan 2019 03:23
Hi, it hard to answer your question with out knowing what parts are missing. Most likely the gear that's attached to the spindle which is needed for the auto return function is cracked from age. This gear is available on ebay and I believe the repair can be done with out removing the entire mechanism. If the mechanism must be removed On this model its a real PIA because of a cable used for the multi play feature. I've included a couple of pictures that show the gear that usually cracks or breaks and the cable that must be removed ( the spring is where the cable is) so the mechanism can be removed. As long as the white cam gear and the rest of the parts shown in my picture are present then making this turntable work as it should can be done.
Hi,

I bought the table. Ordered the gear, but it also has something wrong with the tonearm, the guy I bought it from stated I needed 32 or 34 gauge wire and needed to solder it back to something. I'm going back to fully hear about it tomorrow, but I could also bring it to him to repair it for $150, which I'd prefer not to do. Any Ideas? Thanks

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 19 Jan 2019 04:38

Hi, he sold you the turntable for $100 knowing that the tonearm needs to be rewired then says he would do it for and extra $150 ? I would take the turntable back and ask for my money back. Rewiring the tonearm requires that the entire mechanism be removed. Then the tonearm can be removed and disassembled. Then the old wires can be replaced with new wires. You can't just add more wire onto the existing tonearm wires this can cause sound issues. IMO replacing tonearm wires is not something that a person with little or no experience should tackle. Hopefully he'll give you your moneyback and you can find a better turntable that's is a set to play. As far as the gear you should be able to return it for a refund or sell it here in the classified section for what you paid for it.

CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 20 Jan 2019 21:24

Hi,
Sadly so. He's an independent shop owner and stated a repaired version could sell for 300$ and that this one wasn't worth his time investing into. It's kind of a sh**ty situation and I was hoping to do the repair myself as I've picked up a few things in my engineering classes. I'm 3d printing a gear as of right now. I do have a soldering iron that I bought for around 30$ that I've used a few times. Is this repair hard to do on my own/are there any guides I could follow. I was hoping I could do the repairs myself and make a new dust cover and flip it. Thanks and I understand I kind of look stupid in this situation but my area is in a huge drought for turntables and the ones that are set to play are wayyy out of my price range. Thanks again.

CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 23 Jan 2019 17:43

Update: So it seems like the tonearm wire is fine as I unsoldered it and no sound has been coming through. Just wired in new RCA cables and about to wire in a new power cord. So I'm at a loss on why the auto functions are non functioning as well as the start stop button not working as well. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 24 Jan 2019 23:21

Hi, the auto functions rely on the gear that is attached to the spindle (see first picture with red arrow). If this gear is missing or cracked the auto functions will not work. What do you mean you unsoldered the tonearm wire and nothing is coming through? As far as you doing any service work to this turntable all I can say is go for it. You will need some basic tools like small screw drivers both Philips head (slotted) and standard head (straight). A pair of small pointed needle nose pliers, small bins to keep any E clips, small screws and related parts in. Rags and alcohol for cleaning off all old grease. And either a good quality lithium grease or Super Lube grease ( which I recommend) to lubricate the parts as you assemble the mechanism. A good digital camera is also essential so you can take pictures before you disassemble the mechanism. It's also a good ideal to take pictures during disassembly because there are layers of parts in these mechanisms. And also take pictures of any springs and how or where they attached. The hardest thing to assemble is the string used for the multi play feature make sure you take clear pictures of how the string is wound around the white wheel making sure you put it back on in the same way. I do have pictures if you need Help of this area. Other then that take your time and study how the mechanism works before you take it a part that really helps when you go to assemble it. I hope this helps, good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 25 Jan 2019 02:47

Hi,
I 3d printed a spindle gear until an actual one comes. Here's it playing https://imgur.com/a/ivhUY7C, and the second link is my newest problem the second link is my newest problem http://imgur.com/a/fQiRLK8 (sorry about slamming the stylus, imgur has a 30 second limit) it also clicks once the tonearm is on the record and the temp spindle gear does not re-engage. The TT also does not lift the tonearm after the end of the record. The new problem is that the start stop button doesn't work. Everything else seems to work fine. What I meant by unsoldering the tonearm wires was that I unsoldered all 5 and left them dangling to see if it would have any effect as the guy said they needed replacing. When I did I got no sound coming from the turntable so that led me to believe that it's fine now. I've done a new led upgrade, new rca cables and new power cord. Next up may be tonearm wires, but I'm not too sure about that as of right now. Thanks for your Help, I really appreciate it.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 25 Jan 2019 03:15

I don't have a clear picture of the original gear but it's not made like your's. The original gear has a blank spot with no teeth and a tab on it that engages the metal trip pawls on the white cam gear. The spindle is always turning and the blank spot on the gear is there so the mechanism stops moving once the stylus is on the record. As the tonearm moves to the end of a record that metal lever above the cam gear pushes on the trip pawls and the tab on the gear then engages with the trip pawls and the cam wheel starts turning. Once engaged the tonearm should lift and move back to the rest stand. Since this is not happening it leaves me to believe that something else might be missing in the mechanism. As far as the tonearm wires they must be soldered to the same circuit board as the rca cables or you will never get any sound from the turntable. You should check the tonearm wires with a Digital volt meter for continuity. Set the DVM to 2000 ohms and using the probes from the meter check from the pins in the end of the tonearm to the end of each wire. The pins in the end of the tonearm are laid out this way. Looking straight on at the tonearm the upper right pin is the red wire, the lower right pin is the green wire. The upper left pin is the white wire and the lower left pin is the blue wire. With the meter set at 2000 ohms you should get 000 - 003 reading on the meter. If you get know reading or a very high reading then something is wrong with the tonearm wires. Again replacing them can be a big job as I explained in my other post.

CarterTheSpaceman
United States of America

Post by CarterTheSpaceman » 27 Jan 2019 00:59

musicmn wrote:
25 Jan 2019 03:15
I don't have a clear picture of the original gear but it's not made like your's. The original gear has a blank spot with no teeth and a tab on it that engages the metal trip pawls on the white cam gear. The spindle is always turning and the blank spot on the gear is there so the mechanism stops moving once the stylus is on the record. As the tonearm moves to the end of a record that metal lever above the cam gear pushes on the trip pawls and the tab on the gear then engages with the trip pawls and the cam wheel starts turning. Once engaged the tonearm should lift and move back to the rest stand. Since this is not happening it leaves me to believe that something else might be missing in the mechanism. As far as the tonearm wires they must be soldered to the same circuit board as the rca cables or you will never get any sound from the turntable. You should check the tonearm wires with a Digital volt meter for continuity. Set the DVM to 2000 ohms and using the probes from the meter check from the pins in the end of the tonearm to the end of each wire. The pins in the end of the tonearm are laid out this way. Looking straight on at the tonearm the upper right pin is the red wire, the lower right pin is the green wire. The upper left pin is the white wire and the lower left pin is the blue wire. With the meter set at 2000 ohms you should get 000 - 003 reading on the meter. If you get know reading or a very high reading then something is wrong with the tonearm wires. Again replacing them can be a big job as I explained in my other post.
No worries about the wires. I quickly resoldered them when I was working. My newest problem is that the start/stop button does not click the black part. It shows in the newest photes. I can spin it by hand and starts but doesn't stop. I'm thinking I'm missing a mechanism/capacitors are bad. Any ideas. Thanks again

http://imgur.com/a/Oifgobz