Technics SL-23 noise and SL-3200 potential buyer

turning japanese
busterdan

Technics SL-23 noise and SL-3200 potential buyer

Post by busterdan » 14 Jan 2019 19:16

I currently own a number of old turntables..
Technics SL-23 which is in fairly good condition but when turned on it does seem to have a lot of noise (like clicking) and I don't know why. It's not obvious when playing music but I know it is there even if I can hear it.

I also have a JVC QL-A5 direct drive turntable, no such noise with that one and I think it sounds really good, but it is not in such good condition as the SL-23 and doesn't look as retro cool in my opinion.

I'd like to sort the SL-23 if I can but I'm not sure where to start.... here are some audio clips of both the SL and QL.... both are with the turntables and preamp on and the my receiver at a fairly high volume, then I just recorded the sound coming through my speakers, you can clearly hear the noise from the SL despite everything else being the same.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L7wFe ... DGh79z7H7g

I've also see a SL-3200 turntable for sale and it looks in great condition, to me looks very similar to the QL-A5 although it has a servo rather than Quartz Lock direct drive. I have read that the SL-3200 is not considered an especially good turntable and does have pitch issues. I had pitch issues with my SL but a new belt and contact cleaner sorted them out, perhaps the SL-3200 is similar.

If I got the SL-3200 then I would probably sell both the SL-23 and JVC QL-A5 but is it worth it, I don't want to sell them and regret it.

Any advice would be gratefully received.