New Technics SL1200 MK7

turning japanese
Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2055
Joined: 07 Oct 2004 21:54
Location: New York

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Sunwire » 02 May 2019 01:48

Spinner45 wrote:
31 Jan 2019 05:52
Shadowman82 wrote:
30 Jan 2019 23:19
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the SL-1200 tone arm is bad , I would have thought though at least on the high end G model Technics could have included damping.
Technics builds their machines with quality, always has.
However, they do not cater to the obsessed "audiophile" to the point of adding damping to their tonearms, and I doubt they ever will.

The stylus needs to track the groove precisely, and nimbly, thus ultra-low friction pivot bearings are mandatory.
Centering of the cantilever in the cartridge body is of utmost importance, and Technics knows this.
Because some records are slightly off-center due to manufacturing tolerences, the swaying, however small, can deflect the cantilever enough to cause imbalances in the reproduced sound.
Again, this requires a nimble and frictionless tonearm, able to follow the groove without hinderance.
The top Technics turntables of the past included magnetic/oil tonearm damping.
SL-1000
SL-1015
SL-1025

chiz
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 890
Joined: 16 Oct 2009 23:05
Location: London

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by chiz » 02 May 2019 19:25

Sunwire wrote:
02 May 2019 01:48
The top Technics turntables of the past included magnetic/oil tonearm damping.
Yes, the EPA-100 introduced this feature in 1976 I believe:
https://www.vinylengine.com/ve_download ... ochure.pdf

hellnegative
Cuba
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 May 2019 21:10

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by hellnegative » 03 May 2019 21:19

Anyone else have a pair on pre-order? I am eagerly awaiting my shipping e-mail.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11179
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by cafe latte » 03 May 2019 22:40

Boltman92124 wrote:
01 May 2019 17:34
BMRR wrote:
09 Jan 2019 18:03
Yeah, I'm not saying the Pioneer is bad; I'm saying the people who whine about the price of the Technics are being unrealistic. Lots of crybabies in other forums who wanted the Mk7 to be $400 or $600.
SL1200 Mk7 is shipping in June according to Turntable Lab. Street price is $999 everywhere it seems. That should effectively kill the used 1200 market when you can stay under a grand for brand new. Kinda tempted. The other TT I like is the Thorens TD-203 which is also $999.

Need to save some money starting today I think.
I dont think it will, when the G and GR came out refurbed sl1200mk2's in the same shop that was selling GR and G were selling for stupid money (someone here posted a link). The sl1200mk7 is gong to have to be as easily moddable as the sl1200mk2 which I dont think it is. Can an external psu be easily fitted to it for example? How easy it is to disable the strobe circuit? Is the top plate metal like the sl12100mk2? Is the motor a real motor of a printed circuit board like the old cheaper Technics direct drives?
I think the new sl1200mk7 is great but I think the prices of the old version for many reason will hold strong. The old sp10mk2 are still commanding high prices despite the arrival of the G and gr, I dont think much will change re prices used.
Chris

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 968
Joined: 22 Jan 2016 23:18
Location: San Diego

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Boltman92124 » 03 May 2019 22:52

cafe latte wrote:
03 May 2019 22:40
Boltman92124 wrote:
01 May 2019 17:34
BMRR wrote:
09 Jan 2019 18:03
Yeah, I'm not saying the Pioneer is bad; I'm saying the people who whine about the price of the Technics are being unrealistic. Lots of crybabies in other forums who wanted the Mk7 to be $400 or $600.
SL1200 Mk7 is shipping in June according to Turntable Lab. Street price is $999 everywhere it seems. That should effectively kill the used 1200 market when you can stay under a grand for brand new. Kinda tempted. The other TT I like is the Thorens TD-203 which is also $999.

Need to save some money starting today I think.
I dont think it will, when the G and GR came out refurbed sl1200mk2's in the same shop that was selling GR and G were selling for stupid money (someone here posted a link). The sl1200mk7 is gong to have to be as easily moddable as the sl1200mk2 which I dont think it is. Can an external psu be easily fitted to it for example? How easy it is to disable the strobe circuit? Is the top plate metal like the sl12100mk2? Is the motor a real motor of a printed circuit board like the old cheaper Technics direct drives?
I think the new sl1200mk7 is great but I think the prices of the old version for many reason will hold strong. The old sp10mk2 are still commanding high prices despite the arrival of the G and gr, I dont think much will change re prices used.
Chris
I think the new version is probably superior in almost every way to a mk2. The mk2 was improved upon many times through the mk5..and the mk7 has the new motor from the G series along with other enhancements. As far as mods go, one would most buyers would want one as is.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11179
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by cafe latte » 03 May 2019 23:00

Boltman92124 wrote:
03 May 2019 22:52
cafe latte wrote:
03 May 2019 22:40
Boltman92124 wrote:
01 May 2019 17:34


SL1200 Mk7 is shipping in June according to Turntable Lab. Street price is $999 everywhere it seems. That should effectively kill the used 1200 market when you can stay under a grand for brand new. Kinda tempted. The other TT I like is the Thorens TD-203 which is also $999.

Need to save some money starting today I think.
I dont think it will, when the G and GR came out refurbed sl1200mk2's in the same shop that was selling GR and G were selling for stupid money (someone here posted a link). The sl1200mk7 is gong to have to be as easily moddable as the sl1200mk2 which I dont think it is. Can an external psu be easily fitted to it for example? How easy it is to disable the strobe circuit? Is the top plate metal like the sl12100mk2? Is the motor a real motor of a printed circuit board like the old cheaper Technics direct drives?
I think the new sl1200mk7 is great but I think the prices of the old version for many reason will hold strong. The old sp10mk2 are still commanding high prices despite the arrival of the G and gr, I dont think much will change re prices used.
Chris
I think the new version is probably superior in almost every way to a mk2. The mk2 was improved upon many times through the mk5..and the mk7 has the new motor from the G series along with other enhancements. As far as mods go, one would most buyers would want one as is.
The MK5 was no better than a mk2, also the new mk7 does not have the same motor as the G or gr it has a circuit board motor, which is supposed to be coreless, but it is not the same as the higher models for sure. We recommended the mk2 over the mk5 for hifi use, the only think the mk5 has was better rca leads which many changed anyway. Only time will tell how moddable the new mk7 is. Stock it will be a very good turntable, but the plinth being plastic is a worry for a start.
Chris

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 811
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Shadowman82 » 03 May 2019 23:03

Well I don't think Technics ever intended the MK7 to be as good as the GR . It's solely intended to compete with those Pioneer , Stanton and Audio Technica tables .

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 968
Joined: 22 Jan 2016 23:18
Location: San Diego

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Boltman92124 » 03 May 2019 23:34

Technics describes the plinth as all metal. An all new coreless direct drive motor as an improvement over previous versions. An improved platter and superior insulation. Also an improved bearing system.

It hardly sounds like a Pioneer or AT table.

https://www.technics.com/us/news/20190107-sl-1200mk7/

chamaruco
member
member
Posts: 93
Joined: 17 May 2016 20:15

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by chamaruco » 04 May 2019 06:04

With a sub-chassis in abs(plastic) it's hard to expect a sound better than at or pioneer..
Maybe the same....

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11179
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by cafe latte » 04 May 2019 09:00

chamaruco wrote:
04 May 2019 06:04
With a sub-chassis in abs(plastic) it's hard to expect a sound better than at or pioneer..
Maybe the same....
Don't think so, the wow and flutter, and rumble is way better with the mk7. That said the plastic sub chassis is a step back from the mk2. Also for me the question remains how easily they can be modded. The mk2 is very easy and cheap to mod into something very special indeed. Regardless how the mk7 is stock from an audiophile standpoint stock this is going to be a consideration for a lot of buyers.
Chris

chamaruco
member
member
Posts: 93
Joined: 17 May 2016 20:15

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by chamaruco » 04 May 2019 09:46

Theories...

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 751
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Sterling1 » 04 May 2019 10:11

I've heard a lot of "I think". What's the point of ruminating about it? Soon, the table will be on the market where the reality of it can be more properly appraised.

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 811
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Shadowman82 » 06 May 2019 22:43

Something tells me big audiophiles would just skip the MK7 and instead of modding that would go with the GR or G .

Post Reply