New Technics SL1200 MK7

turning japanese
Sterling1
United States of America

Re: New Technics SL1200 MK7

Post by Sterling1 » 14 Jan 2019 06:49

VinylDan1 wrote:
14 Jan 2019 02:59
I never said I disagreed with the potential quality, I just would want a table that comes from Japan. I never said it was reasonable, its just my opinion. And as for price, in my opinion the GR is worth the extra $400.
It was a stretch for me to get the GR; but, I am totally satisfied with it, making the cost of it now moot.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 14 Jan 2019 14:38

One more thing: I think the Technics "look" has pleasantly stimulated the senses of prospective purchasers to make them believe the Technics is best in the category.

QRIO
Great Britain

Post by QRIO » 14 Jan 2019 19:35

Does anyone know that the digital pitch issue of past Technics decks has been address in these new decks? The issue DJs faced with digital decks was that they couldn't match beats due to the precision of the digital pitch which 'stepped'. In comparison to analogue pitch of MK2 which was more of a ramp.

From watching the launch at the Boiler Room, Derek May was having issues beat mixing, it maybe still there-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSvq4Qc5GZw

e.g. 6.26, 7.17 there are other examples

A DJ of his calibre shouldn't have any issues when it comes to beat mixing.

All that will be required to fix this issue will be to increase the pitch precision so that it will have that ramp increase rather than stepped of digital. The decks do have USB firmware update ports.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 14 Jan 2019 20:57

QRIO wrote:
14 Jan 2019 19:35
Does anyone know that the digital pitch issue of past Technics decks has been address in these new decks? The issue DJs faced with digital decks was that they couldn't match beats due to the precision of the digital pitch which 'stepped'. In comparison to analogue pitch of MK2 which was more of a ramp.

From watching the launch at the Boiler Room, Derek May was having issues beat mixing, it maybe still there-

All that will be required to fix this issue will be to increase the pitch precision so that it will have that ramp increase rather than stepped of digital. The decks do have USB firmware update ports.
Interesting question.

I don't think Technics has ever published the resolution of the digital pitch control on any of SL-1200 models that have this feature. Personally I did not have a problem with the pitch on the 1200G for mixing.

In that video it sounded to me like the record was skipping and that was throwing the mix out of sync.

QRIO
Great Britain

Post by QRIO » 14 Jan 2019 23:37

chiz wrote:
14 Jan 2019 20:57

Interesting question.

I don't think Technics has ever published the resolution of the digital pitch control on any of SL-1200 models that have this feature. Personally I did not have a problem with the pitch on the 1200G for mixing.

In that video it sounded to me like the record was skipping and that was throwing the mix out of sync.
As I said in my post there are numerous other examples further on, you can even see the sweat on his forehead as he is getting stressed in trying to ride the beat (one hand on the pitch control). The other DJs in the line up don't do much beat matching rather than using the mixer (sampling, echo etc) and cuts or scratching.

Cool you have two Technics 1200Gs? I'm looking to move from my over 30 year old MK2 decks which are in as new condition. Never ever ventured out doors in immaculate condition had limited use.

I think if Technics were going to make MK2s today they would probably sit in between the GS and G in terms of quality and craftsmanship / engineering that has gone into these decks. I've got a feeling these new decks are going to fade soon and I don't see them being manufactured for another 50 years. So I'm thinking of selling my Mk2 and upgrading to two 1200G which are a engineering, workmanship, master pieces.

In your experience of beat matching with the two 1200Gs you have had no issues? Beats stay in sync, for how long when you match it? It is easy to match? You don't have to keep adjusting the pitch or touching the spindle or side of record? Sorry for all these questions, just I don't know anyone else who has bought two decks for beat matching. As you know everyone thinks they are very expensive, which they are. But in terms of quality and workmanship you'll no get that on the cheaper MK7 or GS decks.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 15 Jan 2019 00:48

"I've got a feeling these new decks are going to fade soon and I don't see them being manufactured for another 50 years"

Where did you get that idea ? Do you really think Technics invested all this time and money into new manufacturing and parts just to have these Turntables on the market for a few years ? I don't think so .

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 15 Jan 2019 02:19

QRIO wrote:
14 Jan 2019 23:37
Cool you have two Technics 1200Gs? I'm looking to move from my over 30 year old MK2 decks which are in as new condition. Never ever ventured out doors in immaculate condition had limited use.

I think if Technics were going to make MK2s today they would probably sit in between the GS and G in terms of quality and craftsmanship / engineering that has gone into these decks. I've got a feeling these new decks are going to fade soon and I don't see them being manufactured for another 50 years. So I'm thinking of selling my Mk2 and upgrading to two 1200G which are a engineering, workmanship, master pieces.

In your experience of beat matching with the two 1200Gs you have had no issues? Beats stay in sync, for how long when you match it? It is easy to match? You don't have to keep adjusting the pitch or touching the spindle or side of record? Sorry for all these questions, just I don't know anyone else who has bought two decks for beat matching. As you know everyone thinks they are very expensive, which they are. But in terms of quality and workmanship you'll no get that on the cheaper MK7 or GS decks.
No I don’t own 1200Gs, I have MK2s almost as old as yours. I was able to test the Gs though and did find them hard to mix on at the highest torque setting. Once the torque was reduced they didn’t really feel much different to MK2s to me and beat matching was not a problem. I didn’t test any really long blends (not really my DJing style) and I would recommend testing for yourself if you are considering purchasing. Build quality on these is a big step up from the 1200MK2 or GR.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 15 Jan 2019 20:52

I tend to think while the G does also have DJ features at it's price point it really is geared more towards audiophiles , I mean I'm sure for DJs the GR or this new MK7 is more than sufficient . I guess if you got cash to burn it really doesn't matter but while an extra $500-2000 US is not much for some people for others it's a fortune . So with that in mind it's nice that Technics is also offering a new "lower priced" deck .

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 15 Jan 2019 22:01

Shadowman82 wrote:
15 Jan 2019 20:52
I tend to think while the G does also have DJ features at it's price point it really is geared more towards audiophiles
Yes the GAE, G and GR were certainly not marketed towards DJs even though they retain the look and many features of the earlier DJ models.

I find it interesting that these models feature adjustable torque though. Who but a DJ would want to reduce the torque from the maximum available and for what purpose?

QRIO
Great Britain

Post by QRIO » 15 Jan 2019 23:20

"Where did you get that idea ? Do you really think Technics invested all this time and money into new manufacturing and parts just to have these Turntables on the market for a few years ? I don't think so ."

Way back when the SL1200 was launched there was no NAS servers, streaming and CD (was just coming in), Vinyl was king and going strong. Technics managed to take advantage of the SL1200 deck which was originally developed for Hifi use, when DJ culture adopted it and took it to a different level. They saw this new found opportunity to cash into this culture. Since then things have moved on. The Hifi market is changing extremely fast, trends are moving like fashion.

Newbie DJ don't appreciate the heritage behind the SL1200 and what it has done to this 'profession'. As they probably haven't used a basic two channel mixer to mix and show what they have got like DJs in DMC championships of past. They never had laptops, bass cuts, samplers, Serato. It was done by skill and knowledge of knowing your records inside out back to front. Now Technics is pitching to a new generation, who wants to run before they can crawl and they are looking at these decks and thinking what arcake tech is this? What is all the fuss about? Why they so expensive?

My assumption is based as-

In the old days Technics would not have bent over backwards to bring out roughly the same deck at different price points. They would release one version and that will be that. I get the feeling after selling out the 1200GAE, they thought the 1200G will sell in the truck loads which it hasn't. The 1200GR isn't probably doing any better, probably selling more than the G variant. In their original release of the SL1200 no DJ relations was mentioned, due to an out cry by the press and DJs complaining how expensive these decks are they are bringing out the MK7. All of a sudden Technics wants to be friends with the DJ. Don't be disappointed when you compare the MK7 with the MK2, MK2 is a different beast who has earned its living since 1979. I don't see 3 million MK7 selling anytime soon, do you?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 16 Jan 2019 01:01

QRIO wrote:
15 Jan 2019 23:20
"Where did you get that idea ? Do you really think Technics invested all this time and money into new manufacturing and parts just to have these Turntables on the market for a few years ? I don't think so ."

Way back when the SL1200 was launched there was no NAS servers, streaming and CD (was just coming in), Vinyl was king and going strong. Technics managed to take advantage of the SL1200 deck which was originally developed for Hifi use, when DJ culture adopted it and took it to a different level. They saw this new found opportunity to cash into this culture. Since then things have moved on. The Hifi market is changing extremely fast, trends are moving like fashion.

Newbie DJ don't appreciate the heritage behind the SL1200 and what it has done to this 'profession'. As they probably haven't used a basic two channel mixer to mix and show what they have got like DJs in DMC championships of past. They never had laptops, bass cuts, samplers, Serato. It was done by skill and knowledge of knowing your records inside out back to front. Now Technics is pitching to a new generation, who wants to run before they can crawl and they are looking at these decks and thinking what arcake tech is this? What is all the fuss about? Why they so expensive?

My assumption is based as-

In the old days Technics would not have bent over backwards to bring out roughly the same deck at different price points. They would release one version and that will be that. I get the feeling after selling out the 1200GAE, they thought the 1200G will sell in the truck loads which it hasn't. The 1200GR isn't probably doing any better, probably selling more than the G variant. In their original release of the SL1200 no DJ relations was mentioned, due to an out cry by the press and DJs complaining how expensive these decks are they are bringing out the MK7. All of a sudden Technics wants to be friends with the DJ. Don't be disappointed when you compare the MK7 with the MK2, MK2 is a different beast who has earned its living since 1979. I don't see 3 million MK7 selling anytime soon, do you?
Seems the LP industry is making investments, that's to say taking risks, with less than a certain outcome. I suppose the best a marketer can do is use manufacturing techniques which do not require mass production processes to earn some profit.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 16 Jan 2019 01:25

QRIO wrote:
14 Jan 2019 19:35

Ive mixed on the digital pitch faders and every type of 1200 and never had a problem. I think Derek May was either nervous, doesnt mix that well, or maybe there was a glitch in the decks that might have been prototypes.
I know alot of DMC champs and competitors who all DJ parties... and even if not 100% of them arent master blenders, Ive never heard any of them mention this issue.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 16 Jan 2019 15:42

Sterling1 wrote:
14 Jan 2019 14:38
One more thing: I think the Technics "look" has pleasantly stimulated the senses of prospective purchasers to make them believe the Technics is best in the category.
Right! I didn't see Panasonic/Technics filing lawsuits against Hanpin! Maybe they even invested in Hanpin under the table to get the market going again.

PS- Looking at your system, I can't help but wonder if you have some Grateful Dead in your history? :-k

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 16 Jan 2019 17:51

Boltman92124 wrote:
16 Jan 2019 15:42
Sterling1 wrote:
Right! I didn't see Panasonic/Technics filing lawsuits against Hanpin! Maybe they even invested in Hanpin under the table to get the market going again.

PS- Looking at your system, I can't help but wonder if you have some Grateful Dead in your history? :-k
No sir, no Grateful Dead in my history. My taste is eclectic for sure though: The Rolling Stones, Joan Armatrading, Ben Webster, Bill Evans, Phil Collins, Scott Hamilton, John Coltrane, and Diana Krall are leaders in my music library.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 16 Jan 2019 17:57

Sterling1 wrote:
16 Jan 2019 17:51
Boltman92124 wrote:
16 Jan 2019 15:42
Sterling1 wrote:

No sir, no Grateful Dead in my history. My taste is eclectic for sure though: The Rolling Stones, Joan Armatrading, Ben Webster, Bill Evans, Phil Collins, Scott Hamilton, John Coltrane, and Diana Krall are leaders in my music library.
Nice. Was taking a gander at your DAT machines. A regular staple for any GD collector. I still have a 1,000 tape collection..most of which has been ripped to my hard drives/server.