Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

turning japanese
Post Reply
abs1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Oct 2012 18:17
Location: Western Colorado

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by abs1 » 30 Jan 2019 17:12

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
30 Jan 2019 09:59
abs1 wrote:
29 Jan 2019 17:32
"I am all ears"

Are you a gray or a green?
You still didn`t suceed to list me five manufacturers of DD turntables in 2018. I am still waiting.

Otherwise if we go back to Panasonic and Braun. In terms of electric shavers I prefer Panasonic over Braun. Cheaper Braun models which I used have technically stayed in the 80`s. They are quality made, but shaving takes too much time and they irritate my skin. Then I accidentally saw a Panasonic shaver and tried it. For 50 eur I got a very advanced unit, It shaves quick and very smoothly, result is the same as with a classic razor. And it doesn`t irritate my skin. But I doubt that Panasonic is producing them by themselves, you can read "made in china" at the back. And they look similar to models from famous chinese manufacturer of electric shavers.
You still haven't identified yourself as a gray or a green. I'd like to know who I'm dealing with, because only an alien from another planet would first try to divert a discussion about a former manufacturer of really good turntables into a claim that this company (Braun) didn't even manufacture audio equipment (they certainly did) and then in an attempt to further obfuscate the subject in his next post claim that both Thorens and Dual no longer manufacture 'tables.

Then, the alien raises a red herring ("five manufacturers of DD turntables in 2018") in a feeble attempt to divert attention from the OP where there was never any mention of that subject.

Further, the alien thinks that by introducing his straw man electric shaver argument he might draw attention away from the fact that he must be from another planet and therefore doesn't know what he's talking about in the realm of home audio in the real world as opposed to the fantasy world he lives in..

Enough :roll:

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player
Posts: 1213
Joined: 07 Jan 2016 16:02

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 30 Jan 2019 21:04

Is Dual producing turntables? Yes, but they are very tiny company today comparing to what they were in times of german dvision into two states. Even this tiny company wouldn`t exist if former employee Alfred Fehrenbacher wouldn`t rescue it because of his own enthusiasm for Dual brand and its turntables. Do they have any serious inovation? No, they have stayed with inherited technology.

Is Thorens producing turntables? Aboslutely not. Cheaper models are the same as Dual, just some cosmetic changes, produced by Dual in Germany. More advanced models are made by Clear-audio. Production plant of Thorens turntables doesn`t exist for more than 30 years. All inovations had gone into the abyss of history.

So this are not two serious competitors.

smee4
long player
long player
Posts: 1127
Joined: 04 Jul 2004 08:07

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by smee4 » 31 Jan 2019 03:01

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
30 Jan 2019 09:59
abs1 wrote:
29 Jan 2019 17:32
"I am all ears"

Are you a gray or a green?
You still didn`t suceed to list me five manufacturers of DD turntables in 2018. I am still waiting.

Otherwise if we go back to Panasonic and Braun. In terms of electric shavers I prefer Panasonic over Braun. Cheaper Braun models which I used have technically stayed in the 80`s. They are quality made, but shaving takes too much time and they irritate my skin. Then I accidentally saw a Panasonic shaver and tried it. For 50 eur I got a very advanced unit, It shaves quick and very smoothly, result is the same as with a classic razor. And it doesn`t irritate my skin. But I doubt that Panasonic is producing them by themselves, you can read "made in china" at the back. And they look similar to models from famous chinese manufacturer of electric shavers.
The analogy is a good way of illustrating how we see things differently. :) I bought a Panasonic a few years back and it gave me the worst shave ever. Just would not remove the stubble. Don't like Braun either. Best I get is from Philips.

back to audio.. :)

Beobloke
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 640
Joined: 08 Sep 2004 10:43
Location: South UK

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Beobloke » 31 Jan 2019 12:59

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
30 Jan 2019 21:04

Is Thorens producing turntables? Aboslutely not. Cheaper models are the same as Dual, just some cosmetic changes, produced by Dual in Germany. More advanced models are made by Clear-audio. Production plant of Thorens turntables doesn`t exist for more than 30 years. All inovations had gone into the abyss of history.
I don't know where you obtained this information, because I'm afraid it's simply not true!

ravelax
member
member
Sweden
Posts: 202
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 16:15

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by ravelax » 31 Jan 2019 13:48

Beobloke wrote:
31 Jan 2019 12:59
Vinylfreak86 wrote:
30 Jan 2019 21:04

Is Thorens producing turntables? Aboslutely not. Cheaper models are the same as Dual, just some cosmetic changes, produced by Dual in Germany. More advanced models are made by Clear-audio. Production plant of Thorens turntables doesn`t exist for more than 30 years. All inovations had gone into the abyss of history.
I don't know where you obtained this information, because I'm afraid it's simply not true!
I'm afraid it is, at least in the case of some Thorens models being made by Dual. Check out the current Thorens line-up and compare some of the cheaper models (for example TD-158, different versions of TD-170, or the TD-240) with the current Dual line-up (the CS-400 series), and you'll see A LOT of parts commonality, these Thorens units are basically re-badged Duals. There is also a Pro-Ject made Thorens, the TD-295 MKIV, I've seen it in person and as an owner of a Pro-Ject at the time it was easy to see that a lot of parts like the tone arm assembly, the platter, and the lid were from Pro-Ject. As for Clearaudio, I'm less familiar with their turntables but it does look like some Thorens models use Clearaudio tonearms at least.

The higher end Thorens models do seem to be built in-house, however, or at least having a more original styling making it harder to identify a manufacturer other than Thorens themselves.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player
Posts: 1213
Joined: 07 Jan 2016 16:02

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 31 Jan 2019 21:18

Beobloke wrote:
31 Jan 2019 12:59


I don't know where you obtained this information, because I'm afraid it's simply not true!
It is true. Both Dual and Thorens went bankrupt back in the days. This means sale of property, patents and at the end also sale of the brand. You just buy the rights to use the brand name and can send also chinese made products under this brand on the market. That has happened with Akai. And also with Lenco.

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by watchnerd » 24 Feb 2019 05:28

Smoke Screen wrote:
12 Jan 2019 02:13
SL-1500C is around 1400 bucks with a Orty 2Mred i heard.
I think that price will be problematic.

$1400 is too much for entry level, and thus becomes a 'first upgrade' price point.

For only $300 more, you can get a SL-1200GR.

Smoke Screen
senior member
senior member
Posts: 887
Joined: 18 Mar 2008 17:42

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Smoke Screen » 03 Mar 2019 15:06

watchnerd wrote:
24 Feb 2019 05:28

I think that price will be problematic.

$1400 is too much for entry level, and thus becomes a 'first upgrade' price point.

For only $300 more, you can get a SL-1200GR.
The actual german price is meanwhile 1000€ (1137 USD).
A SL-1200GR costs here 1500€ (1705 USD). So the SL-1500C is cheaper than expected
and the GR is more expensive. However with 1k€ the SL-1500C is definitly not entry level.

AdlerW
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 247
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 23:09
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by AdlerW » 08 Mar 2019 19:54

Very interested in this. Is it fully automatic, though, or just semi?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5787
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by BMRR » 08 Mar 2019 20:42

It's manual, just like the original SL-1500 and SL-1500 MkII. The only automation is that the arm automatically lifts at the end of the record. It doesn't return to the arm rest; it just lifts the needle off the record. It's like having a built-in Q-UP or Audio-Technica Safety Raiser.

AdlerW
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 247
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 23:09
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by AdlerW » 09 Mar 2019 06:22

Oh, okay. Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't think I realized the 1200 and others like it are all manual too.

Either way, I'll definitely consider it. I'd love to buy a brand new high-end turntable that has a removable headshell and I've already used many vintage Technics models and liked them.

Smoke Screen
senior member
senior member
Posts: 887
Joined: 18 Mar 2008 17:42

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Smoke Screen » 10 Mar 2019 14:11

Well,imho for home use the direct competition for a new 1500C is a vintage 1600MK2.
Personaly i would favour still the old one. Its top quality AND has all the bells and whistles
regarding ease of use and comfort. But thats just me.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5787
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by BMRR » 10 Mar 2019 14:23

The 1600 Mk2 is a great turntable, but there aren't enough of them to go around. I just did a search on eBay and there are only 8 of them for sale, and 3 of those are non-working / for parts/repair, so there's really only 5 available. The least-expensive one that actually works is $515 + shipping and it's not in very good condition. The next one has a starting bid of $600. After that is one for $500 + $150 shipping from Japan, and after that there's one for $700 + $130 shipping from Russia.

There's always a chance of finding one locally, but you might have better luck winning the lottery. I've been watching my local craigslist for six years and in that time I've never seen a 1600 Mk2 come up for sale.

Smoke Screen
senior member
senior member
Posts: 887
Joined: 18 Mar 2008 17:42

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Smoke Screen » 11 Mar 2019 23:12

BMRR @: True. Meanwhile it takes patience and a good oversight to pick a 1600MK2 in good shape
that is not heavily overpriced. But hat is true nowadays for pretty much all good vintage turntables.
Still,imho its worthwhile to have a long breath than cave in to a consumeristic urge.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands
Posts: 4488
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 16:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Japi Roelofs » 12 Mar 2019 00:05

I just checked a Technics sales brochure from 1982. SL-1200MK2 and SL-1600MK2 were both in there, for the exact same price of 75,000 yen.

Nowadays, where I live at least, you see a lot of used 1200's for sale. 1600's not so much but they do pop up now and then. They are almost always cheaper than 1200's though which seems odd as they are much rarer...

Post Reply