Tone arm moves inward too quickly

turning japanese
btfloyd
United States of America

Tone arm moves inward too quickly

Post by btfloyd » 01 Jan 2019 18:01

Bought my first real turntable. Technics SL-QD2. In the process of testing it out at the house, I noticed that the stylus seemed to “jump grooves” every rotation or two. It minimized as the tonearm neared the label. My first thought was that the record was warped (and it is to some degree); however, the cheap-o TT I’ve been using doesn’t do this. What am I missing/what should I do? Is the weighting wrong on the tonearm? Set to 1.25 g. Stanton cart/stylus (looks like L720 or U720). Do I need a label weight? Could use some serious Help getting this lined out. Thanks in advance. I’m very new to having a decent TT, and know very little about troubleshooting.

vanakaru

Re: Tone arm moves inward too quickly

Post by vanakaru » 01 Jan 2019 18:10

Try to change Anti-Scating first. However there may be something physical like tonearm wires, bearing etc preventing free movement. Try to run tonearm bearing test(look at youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq2Rk7_i6hQ).

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 01 Jan 2019 21:24

This is a P-mount turntable. No adjustments to set - almost.
First, examine the stylus. If it is dirty, it won't track well, or sound well.
Same applies if the diamond tip is missing, but sounds worse.
Most of these turntables were set to track at 1.25 grams, but had provision for setting plus or minus 0.25 grams, usually under the arm.
If your stylus is clean and pointed, you could try to add that quarter gram.
Your turntable manual is here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... -qd2.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

btfloyd
United States of America

Post by btfloyd » 02 Jan 2019 03:25

Thanks for the replies. According to https://vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php I have a removable mount, though. I’m not sure I can adjust the anti-skate. I’ll check the manual and get back with what I learn.

btfloyd
United States of America

Post by btfloyd » 02 Jan 2019 03:30

Manual say p-mount. Will try the weight adjust tomorrow.

btfloyd
United States of America

Post by btfloyd » 07 Jan 2019 15:54

I'm going to blame the stylus. I adjusted the weighting on the tonearm, but it didn't make any difference. It's almost like for the first track or two on the record, the stylus just won't grab. After that, it will, but it sounds trashy. Glad I learned to use records I don't care for during troubleshooting.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 08 Jan 2019 01:15

btfloyd wrote:
07 Jan 2019 15:54
I'm going to blame the stylus. I adjusted the weighting on the tonearm, but it didn't make any difference. It's almost like for the first track or two on the record, the stylus just won't grab. After that, it will, but it sounds trashy. Glad I learned to use records I don't care for during troubleshooting.
The diamond tip has almost certainly gone missing.
Time for a replacement.

Cheers,
Alec

btfloyd
United States of America

Post by btfloyd » 10 Jan 2019 21:55

[/quote]
The diamond tip has almost certainly gone missing.
Time for a replacement.

Cheers,
Alec
[/quote]

I see you're from "North of Toronto". I used to spend a lot of time around there in my previous job. Brampton/Mississauga area - which is technically west of Toronto. I used to drive across at Windsor and take the 401 across. There was a cigar shop on Bayview in the city that I enjoyed going to when I was in town. I also worked with a lady whose husband had season tickets to the Leafs, but he refused to go to games during the week, so she gave them all to me when I was in town. They lived in Georgetown, and he said that the traffic after the games was so bad he could never get home at a decent enough hour to get the sleep he needed before work the next day. I got to see a several different teams - including my Blackhawks - and the other ticket was handy for making new friends ;)