SL-7 stopped playing 7" records

turning japanese
reuel
United States of America

SL-7 stopped playing 7" records

Post by reuel » 18 Dec 2018 17:34

i've had this turntable a while and it recently stopped playing 7" records. the platter stops spinning after a second or so. i taped the led lights on the platter, and i can cue the tonearm and play that way. is the sensor broken? it was working fine for many years. any easy fixes?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: SL-7 stopped playing 7" records

Post by Pauw » 18 Dec 2018 18:21

Just something to check.....my SL D303 stopped playing 7 inch records....then it repositioned the turntable mat and it worked again.......just a thought! :D

reuel
United States of America

Post by reuel » 18 Dec 2018 18:58

Pauw wrote:
18 Dec 2018 18:21
Just something to check.....my SL D303 stopped playing 7 inch records....then it repositioned the turntable mat and it worked again.......just a thought! :D
was the mat blocking the led lights?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 20 Dec 2018 18:07

reuel wrote:
18 Dec 2018 17:34
i've had this turntable a while and it recently stopped playing 7" records. the platter stops spinning after a second or so. i taped the led lights on the platter, and i can cue the tonearm and play that way. is the sensor broken? it was working fine for many years. any easy fixes?
Check your disk size selector slider on the lid. Is it set to auto or one of the 3 sizes ? When you move the selector slider to 7" what happens..... :-k

I'm thinking somehow light is getting to the 7" sensor in the lid and fooling the logic into thinking there's no single on the platter aborting and saving the styli...... :-k. When you say "stops spinning after a second or so", does that mean the tonearm aborts and also returns to rest position.... :-k

Fred

reuel
United States of America

Post by reuel » 20 Dec 2018 19:13

the selector is set to auto. setting it to 7" does nothing. the tonearm
doesn't move at all. the platter spins for a bit then just stops.

how can light hit the sensor? it's covered by the record.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 26 Dec 2018 21:28

reuel wrote:
20 Dec 2018 19:13
the selector is set to auto. setting it to 7" does nothing. the tonearm
doesn't move at all. the platter spins for a bit then just stops.

how can light hit the sensor? it's covered by the record.
Light leakage..... :-k, the corresponding sensor(s) is / are in the lid behind the holes revealed under the dust cover / lid.

Does the SL-7 play 10" and 12" LPs properly / automatically...... :-k

If you tape over the corresponding 7" hole in cover and / or sensor behind it, what happens..... :-k

The SL-7 is somehow not detecting a 7" single on the platter. So yes, if the "brain" thinks there's no plastic on the turntable, the platter will just turn a bit and stop, the tonearm will not move from the rest position.

You will have to troubleshoot the 7" detection / play circuit and make sure there's no light leakage, broken pieces on the auto slider under the lid.

Good luck

Fred

reuel
United States of America

Post by reuel » 26 Dec 2018 21:35

yes it plays other size records correctly. taping over the holes allows manual cueing and im able to play all record sizes. there are no broken pieces.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 30 Dec 2018 17:23

fscl wrote:
26 Dec 2018 21:28
....snippage.....
The SL-7 is somehow not detecting a 7" single on the platter. So yes, if the "brain" thinks there's no plastic on the turntable, the platter will just turn a bit and stop, the tonearm will not move from the rest position.

You will have to troubleshoot the 7" detection / play circuit and make sure there's no light leakage, broken pieces on the auto slider under the lid.

Good luck

Fred
reuel wrote:
26 Dec 2018 21:35
yes it plays other size records correctly. taping over the holes allows manual cueing and im able to play all record sizes. there are no broken pieces.
As mentioned, it looks like the electronics has given up the ghost :-k

I would start with troubleshooting the 7" detector, Q305, and associated circuit. Break the quick connectors from the lid PCB, shoot with contact cleaner and make connection. Examine the PCB traces and solder joints and if it looks sketchy, try flowing some solder around Q305 on the lid PCB. Watch the heat.... [-o<

Good luck

Fred