New to the Forum, looking for input.

turning japanese
Jcellan
United States of America

New to the Forum, looking for input.

Post by Jcellan » 05 Dec 2018 01:27

Hello, I recently purchased a Technics SL5350 turntable from an antiques shop for $45. It works and plays, but I noticed that I had to move the left speaker RCA around before sound came from the speaker. The amp is new and was working just fine with previous turntable. I was looking for input on replacing the Phono cables, anyones opinions or recommendations as to which to use would be greatly appreciated.
I was also hoping others may have more info regarding this turntable, I'm curious if it uses the same parts from the 5300 series or is it different due to being a changer. I'm sorry if all of this has been covered before, I have been searching all over and can't seem to find much.
Also I was hoping for input regarding a headshell and cartridge. I was looking they are so overwhelming in options, etc. I can tell you that I am on a budget, but my wife has also been encouraging my habit, even allowing me to turn the living room into our soundstage. Most of the music would be classic rock, folk, alternative, with some jazz and symphonies. I would like to find something that covers the Rock and such quite well, and is still overall with other genres. Again I really appreciate any Help and look forward to any guidance or information that is provided.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Re: New to the Forum, looking for input.

Post by eddie edirol » 05 Dec 2018 02:16

As far as the cables, regular RCA cables will work. Doesnt matter that its a changer.
Dont get them too thick because they are routed to a pinch that is meant to keep them from getting yanked out, and it is a pain in the neck to make thick cables fit through that pinch. Just make sure you solder the connections proper so the sound wont suffer.

Also, any headshell will work, but they do have bootleg ones that have Technics branded on them on EBAY that you can get for cheap. You dont need the original headshell, it doesnt matter for the sound.

You have a great turntable there, Im very jealous that you got it for so cheap, Ive been looking for that one for a while.
Its the last quartz Direct drive changer, and Im a stacker.

mfrittzie
United States of America

Post by mfrittzie » 05 Dec 2018 03:34

Hi, I recently was gifted a Technics SL-D202 turntable. It has a Shure RXT6 Cartridge on it. My question is should I just get a replacement needle and if so which one? Or should I replace the whole thing? And in the case would you all recommend the AT95E or I just read some great things about the Grado Black2? Both are more than I want to spend and I'd like to find a needle replacement first if that would be cheaper but I have no clue.

I have just begun to delve into this new hobby and I can't believe the sophistication and hence the confusion.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maria

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Dec 2018 04:18

mfrittzie wrote:
05 Dec 2018 03:34
Hi, I recently was gifted a Technics SL-D202 turntable. It has a Shure RXT6 Cartridge on it. My question is should I just get a replacement needle and if so which one? Or should I replace the whole thing? And in the case would you all recommend the AT95E or I just read some great things about the Grado Black2? Both are more than I want to spend and I'd like to find a needle replacement first if that would be cheaper but I have no clue.

I have just begun to delve into this new hobby and I can't believe the sophistication and hence the confusion.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maria
The AT-95E isn't expensive, and is a very good cartridge.
I'd suggest it highly.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 05 Dec 2018 04:25

Second what Spinner45 said....and/or, the RXT6 is a nice cartridge, and warrants both keeping and a new stylus. Either cartridge will be quite satisfying for your stated needs.

mfrittzie
United States of America

Post by mfrittzie » 05 Dec 2018 05:38

I'm sorry to pose such a ignorant question but I find all the stylus and cartridge stuff so confusing. From what I can tell the At-95E and the Grado Black2 come with a needle attached, correct?

And just so I know this isn't always so, right? Meaning you can buy cartridges with no needle attached, right?

Any suggestions on what needle for the RXT-6 cart?

Thanks again!

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Dec 2018 06:03

mfrittzie wrote:
05 Dec 2018 05:38
I'm sorry to pose such a ignorant question but I find all the stylus and cartridge stuff so confusing. From what I can tell the At-95E and the Grado Black2 come with a needle attached, correct?

And just so I know this isn't always so, right? Meaning you can buy cartridges with no needle attached, right?

Thanks again!
ALL new cartridges for sale are complete with stylus, instructions.
Grado's are prone to hum issues - nix that idea.

For a replacement stylus for the shure - see: 4760DE - http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 05 Dec 2018 17:36

mfrittzie wrote:
05 Dec 2018 05:38

Thanks again!
I had a Grado Green on an SL-D202 a few years ago. No hum. Grados will hum on some turntables, but not on any direct drive Technics, AFAIK. The Black2 gets great reviews.

mfrittzie
United States of America

Post by mfrittzie » 06 Dec 2018 14:57

Another question: I am being told a couple of different things by a couple of different sites. One site is telling me that the Phanstiehl 4771-DE will fit my Shure RXT6 cartridge, another site is saying that isn't true and that no only will it not fit by that Phanstiehl does not make a needle for that cartridge and they recommend 4772-DE which is made by EVG and is $49. They also said I could replace the entire thing with an economy cart/needle combo of MG-09DE.

That being said if I were to replace the entire thing would I hear a difference in an economy cart like the MG-09DE vs an AT-95E vs Grado Black2? I am not an audiophile but since I was given this turntable I feel like I have a few bucks to throw at the cart/needle...if warranted?

Help! Anyone know about this?

Also, the needle on it currently plays records but I have no idea if it is any good...meaning can I get any better sound from spending some money to replace or more importantly can it ruin my records???

Since it does play how would I know if it is bad and needs to be replaced?

Thanks AGAin!

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 06 Dec 2018 18:19

mfrittzie wrote:
06 Dec 2018 14:57
Another question: I am being told a couple of different things by a couple of different sites. One site is telling me that the Phanstiehl 4771-DE will fit my Shure RXT6 cartridge, another site is saying that isn't true and that no only will it not fit by that Phanstiehl does not make a needle for that cartridge and they recommend 4772-DE which is made by EVG and is $49. They also said I could replace the entire thing with an economy cart/needle combo of MG-09DE.

That being said if I were to replace the entire thing would I hear a difference in an economy cart like the MG-09DE vs an AT-95E vs Grado Black2? I am not an audiophile but since I was given this turntable I feel like I have a few bucks to throw at the cart/needle...if warranted?

Help Anyone know about this?

Also, the needle on it currently plays records but I have no idea if it is any good...meaning can I get any better sound from spending some money to replace or more importantly can it ruin my records???

Since it does play how would I know if it is bad and needs to be replaced?

Thanks AGAin!
Without turning the thread into an endless one, merely go to www.thevoiceofmusic.com for replacement styli, because Gary Stork there is a highly reputable dealer, and forget blabber on other sites that will make you crazy and confused.

mfrittzie
United States of America

Post by mfrittzie » 06 Dec 2018 21:46

Spinner 45 you keep sending me to thevoiceofmusic website. What is your affiliation with them?

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 06 Dec 2018 23:02

mfrittzie wrote:
06 Dec 2018 21:46
Spinner 45 you keep sending me to thevoiceofmusic website. What is your affiliation with them?
To answer your question:
I've dealt with Gary Stork for about two decades now for providing me with parts to repair hundreds of customer turntables, tape decks, etc.
And I only trust people that I know that are reputable.
I hope that answers your question.

Jcellan
United States of America

Post by Jcellan » 07 Dec 2018 01:23

Hi I have been following this thread I had started and inspected my cartridge it says Empire 2004 and the stylus is purple. If that means anything. Sorry still learning terminology and such to do my own research as well.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2018 02:47

I'll agree with spinner, Maria...I've been also dealing with Gary Stork for several years now...I just can't find a complaint about him...He's in my own backyard of Michigan here, you know! He's never steered me wrong in finding the right stylus for any cartridge I've owned...He knows his stuff and there are many other members here who will wholeheartedly agree with me on Gary's expertise and his prices! You just can't ask for better! Take a look at his site...If it's vintage, Gary can Help =D>

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

mfrittzie
United States of America

Post by mfrittzie » 07 Dec 2018 04:53

Thanks Spinner 45 and vinyl master!

And I am sorry to have hijacked your thread Jcellan! I never have participated in this type of forum before and thought "New to the Forum, looking for input" was like a main heading for new people looking for advice! My bad. Again, I apologize!