Technics alignment gauge

turning japanese
Shadowman82

Technics alignment gauge

Post by Shadowman82 » 09 Sep 2018 22:30

I've had some questions about the alignment gauge that came with the old SL-1200 series as well as the new SL-1200s . From what I understand it based on Technics own alignment that's fairly close to Stevenson but not exactly the same .

My SL-1200 never came with the gauge as I bought it used . My cartridge ( Ortofon 2M Blue) was set up using a protractor and Stevenson alignment .

Now from what I've seen the gauge is fairly straight forward to use and it should be fairly simple to line up the stylus with the tip of the gauge . It's only drawback I would guess is that it might be diffcult to get the cartridge exactly squared in the headshell just based on eye sight .

Anyone use this gauge ? What are your experiences with it ? Also is the gauge that come with the new SL-1200s exactly the same ? I would think so seeing that they use the same alignment geometry .

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics alignment gauge

Post by Spinner45 » 09 Sep 2018 22:55

Shadowman82 wrote:I've had some questions about the alignment gauge that came with the old SL-1200 series as well as the new SL-1200s . From what I understand it based on Technics own alignment that's fairly close to Stevenson but not exactly the same .

My SL-1200 never came with the gauge as I bought it used . My cartridge ( Ortofon 2M Blue) was set up using a protractor and Stevenson alignment .

Now from what I've seen the gauge is fairly straight forward to use and it should be fairly simple to line up the stylus with the tip of the gauge . It's only drawback I would guess is that it might be diffcult to get the cartridge exactly squared in the headshell just based on eye sight .

Anyone use this gauge ? What are your experiences with it ? Also is the gauge that come with the new SL-1200s exactly the same ? I would think so seeing that they use the same alignment geometry .
This has been discussed before, just do a search through the technics threads.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 09 Sep 2018 22:58

I've seen those old threads but they don't answer exactly all of my questions , like for example if the gauge that comes with the new SL-1200s is the same .

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 09 Sep 2018 23:44

Shadowman82 wrote:I've seen those old threads but they don't answer exactly all of my questions , like for example if the gauge that comes with the new SL-1200s is the same .
There's been a Standard for headshells for decades.
I doubt they changed anything.

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 10 Sep 2018 14:45

I use the Technics gauge and then confirm and fine tune with this arc protractor. I find I can only get overhang within about 0.5mm by just eyeballing the gauge.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Technics%2 ... ractor.pdf

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 10 Sep 2018 21:37

Yeah I guess that confirms the gauge is not as accurate as a protractor . Too bad , I think the gauge is probably easier .

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 10 Sep 2018 23:24

Shadowman82 wrote:Yeah I guess that confirms the gauge is not as accurate as a protractor . Too bad , I think the gauge is probably easier .
The gauge gets me so close, that it makes the protractor pretty easy. A lot easier than a protractor alone (for me, anyway).

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 11 Sep 2018 11:02

Shadowman82 wrote:Yeah I guess that confirms the gauge is not as accurate as a protractor . Too bad , I think the gauge is probably easier .
The latest gauge appears identical to one I've had for several years. It indicates a 52mm stylus to headshell tail distance, which procures Technics spec for tracking accuracy once the cartridge is made parallel to axis of headshell. Now, it was alluded to here that eyeballing is not good enough for precise alignment and therefore alignment should be confirmed with a protractor. Well, to understand the relationship of cartridge to protractor requires eyeballing too. I find it unnecessary. A better way to confirm that the cartridge is square with headshell is to measure with a dial caliper. Using a caliper I have found my eyesight is pretty good at understanding when things are squared up, it's natural; but, it's still nice to have assurance given from the caliper.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 11 Sep 2018 23:18

I've heard good things about the Mint Protractor , It's supposed to be very accurate but also somewhat expensive . And wether it would be easier to use than the accutrack I already own who knows .

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 18 Sep 2018 11:16

When I aligned cartridge according to technics tool (jig)and then put it on this protractor http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Technics%2 ... ractor.pdf should be right in place??

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 18 Sep 2018 18:24

Place the stylus on the arc near the outer radius of the arc. You will have to rotate the platter to achieve this. Now, without rotating the platter, lift the arm and set it near the inner radius. If you got the overhang exactly right, the stylus should be on the line at both the outer and inner radii. If the stylus lands a little outside the arc you need to reduce overhang a little. Vice-versa if it lands inside the arc.

Hopefully, very little adjustment will be necessary.

P.S. Be sure to verify that the 150mm measurement on the side if the protractor printout is exactly 150mm. Some printers, and/or their settings, can distort the image.

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 18 Sep 2018 20:13

I have checked my cartridge today. I had to make small correction move stylus 1mm out. Now stylus copy whole arc. What is curious the stylus is now slightly more out when I put headshell into the technics jig. :)

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 18 Sep 2018 20:17

octavius wrote:I have checked my cartridge today. I had to make small correction move stylus 1mm out. Now stylus copy whole arc. What is curious the stylus is now slightly more out when I put headshell into the technics jig. :)
Sounds good! :D I'm always off by a hair when using just the jig.

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 18 Sep 2018 20:25

Many thanks jkasch for detailed explanation!
Now is perfect 15mm and square according protractor. It seems these two things technics jig and this protractor are very useful combination. thanks again :)

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 18 Sep 2018 22:31

You’re welcome. Happy to Help.