the home of the turntable

Technics SL-BD22 tonearm not lifting

turning japanese

Technics SL-BD22 tonearm not lifting

Postby Calli66 » 10 Aug 2018 21:45

And the cue function isn't working, either. So at the end of an LP, it just slides it's way back across the record... I tried turning the adjustment screw, but that didn't do anything.

Hi, I'm new here; I don't know anything, and would appreciate some Help with my turntable. I haven't used it in 10 years, and it used to be in a ridiculously dusty house. So now I'm in a clean house and am trying to get it going again.

Where should I look in the service manual? I don't even know what to call this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Calli
Calli66

United States of America

Re: Technics SL-BD22 tonearm not lifting

Postby musicmn » 12 Aug 2018 21:53

Hi Calli, unfortunately the service manual will be of no Help. Most likely what has happened is that the old silicone damping fluid used to slow the drop rate of the tonearm has leaked out. This and the old grease used in the cueing mechanism will cause everything to become stuck. The only way to fix this issue is to open up the turntable and remove the cueing parts. Then clean everything with alcohol and rags and assemble it using a good quality grease. I like use super lube grease in these mechanism. You will also need to get a small amount of 300,000wt silicone damping fluid to replace the old stuff that has leaked out. Try Using the custom google search engine on this site to see if you can find any post on how to service your turntable. I have serviced a couple of these in the past. But I don't have any pictures to Help you out.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Re: Technics SL-BD22 tonearm not lifting

Postby Calli66 » 13 Aug 2018 12:28

Thanks---this gets me started.
Calli66

United States of America

Return to Technics