Lubrication for thread and worm wheel on SL-10

turning japanese
Procrastin8

Lubrication for thread and worm wheel on SL-10

Post by Procrastin8 » 03 Aug 2018 23:33

Read all of this thread on lubricating the tonearm runner but it doesn't really get into advice on cleaning the wormwheel, thread, etc. Any advice here?

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Lubrication for thread and worm wheel on SL-10

Post by analogaudio » 04 Aug 2018 16:13

You mention lubrication in the title but change to cleaning in the body text.

Cleaning solvents need to be "plastic safe" and there are two easily available candidates. Isopropyl alcohol is a good mild plastic safe solvent. Naptha (Ronson lighter fuel) is a stronger solvent than IPA and is mostly plastic safe however before using it on something irreplaceable make a test of the plastic safeness.

Lubrication for turntable applications uses three materials. For metal bearings mineral oil and mineral grease are used. Loads are usually light so special properties of heat resistance and high pressure operation don't usually apply, generic oils and greases can be used.
For plastic bearings there are light duty plastic-safe lubricants available sources include auto-parts stores and hobby stores, these compounds are often white and often contain silicone.

Procrastin8

Post by Procrastin8 » 08 Aug 2018 17:30

Ah yes, sorry, I did still mean lubricating, not cleaning. Would I want white lithium grease then, for plastic parts? Or more like PTFE grease?

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 08 Aug 2018 18:06

Procrastin8 wrote:Ah yes, sorry, I did still mean lubricating, not cleaning. Would I want white lithium grease then, for plastic parts? Or more like PTFE grease?
I always use Super Lube w/PTFE on gears, sliding parts, and ball bearing races.
And Zoom spout Turbine Oil on sintered bearings and motors.
The Super Lube will last decades, stay clean, and never dry out.
I've been doing it for decades so I know this.