vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

Post by vinyl master » 23 Dec 2019 04:12

justjed0001 wrote:
23 Dec 2019 02:19
Had a really good day yesterday. Several months ago I put a 2M Bronze on my SL-1800. I know, not a great idea on first gen decks with no tonearm height adjustment, but it works well enough. After two 2M Blues, I fully expected some break-in time, and so the initial lack of bass didn't bother me. Besides, I have a Schiit Loki tone control to shore up the bottom end. I quit counting hours at about 50, and it was still thin and somewhat anemic sounding, but had great detail. And the Loki compensated nicely.

I had the day off Friday, and it was sounding really good, tight solid bass, good clear mids, highs were tight, but not overly bright. I wanted to hear where the Bronze was, as far as break-in, so went to flip the Loki bypass, and realized it was already in bypass mode! We have bass!! I took the Loki out of the system altogether, and don't miss it. I see why people like this cart with these decks! I've been a big fan of the 2M Blue, until now. I left the system powered up all night, so all of the components had reached thermal equilibrium, and gave a real critical listen yesterday. The SL-1800/2M Bronze combo provided me with the most enjoyable vinyl experience I've ever had. I've heard better, a couple of times, but never got to sit for hours and really listen to a system that was working at peak SQ. It was sublime!

And it's mine. I can do it again, whenever I wish....
Ahhhh!! Ain't nirvana grand???! :wink:

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 23 Dec 2019 23:30

Nirvana? Can't stand em, altho the MTV Unplugged show was pretty good! :wink:

I had an idea of what level of sound quality I was looking for when I started putting gear together. It's taken awhile, but I do believe I have gotten to that point. It ain't McIntosh and Maggies, but I don't think I am missing much, besides the names. None of my gear is high-end, but it sounds better than it has a right to, in my opinion. A lot of it has to do with a good deck, and the SL-1800 is certainly a good deck. The 2M Bronze really sings.....

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 23 Dec 2019 23:51

Agreed. If your SL-1800 is working up to specs - yes, I know how old it is, but they go on forever, if properly cared for - it is a thing of wonder.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Dec 2019 00:45

justjed0001 wrote:
23 Dec 2019 23:30
Nirvana? Can't stand em, altho the MTV Unplugged show was pretty good! :wink:

I had an idea of what level of sound quality I was looking for when I started putting gear together. It's taken awhile, but I do believe I have gotten to that point. It ain't McIntosh and Maggies, but I don't think I am missing much, besides the names. None of my gear is high-end, but it sounds better than it has a right to, in my opinion. A lot of it has to do with a good deck, and the SL-1800 is certainly a good deck. The 2M Bronze really sings.....
Well, I WAS speaking of musical nirvana... :-k That sweet spot that hits your ears in the right place at the right time and brings you to tears...You know, the feeling that makes you wanna shout, "Now THIS is what vinyl is all about!" :wink:

But, I get what you're saying...There are so many pieces of equipment like your Technics, that while not totally high-end, can give a very lifelike, satisfying experience nonetheless and it's all out there for the discovery! :D

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 24 Dec 2019 01:41

Oh, I know, the Nirvana thing was a joke! I don't really consider the band a joke, tho I'm not sure why they were as popular as they were. And I have the MTV Unplugged set on vinyl, it's the first record I bought at Walmart in at least 20 years.

All of my gear plays pretty well together. The Technics is a good stable platform for spinning an LP, and, within its limitations, the tonearm really is pretty good. I don't think I can get much more out of this cart on this deck, and I'm OK with that. In fact, it was kind of the point. Any future changes to the sound will be downstream, the phono-pre, new tubes, etc. I consider the TT set-up to be maxed out, and one less thing to worry about. Right now, I don't find a real weak link in my system, and can simply enjoy it for what it is, without wishing it was something else, or thinking of how it could be better.

I have some free time tomorrow, guess what I will be doing?!