Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

turning japanese
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

Post by vinyl master » 07 Aug 2018 01:53

Exactly!! =D> As Tonybro said, it fits all the criteria...Some of these Technics models have more bells and whistles, but even the simpler models have their place in the hierarchy and the main thing...Set up correctly, they will NOT ruin your records...These are sturdy, well-built machines that will outlast any Crosley, for sure, in terms of longevity and use of quality materials and can give lifelong musical enjoyment for years to come! :D

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 07 Aug 2018 15:41

beeroscar wrote:I'm a fan of Technics and their DD tables. Here is mine.
SL-1410 MKII. Bought it cheap because the owner said the pitch was broken. The + pitch button was stuck, so a little contact spray and it was good to go. The tonearm lifter was not functioning, but I fixed it thanks to another threat in here. Love the sound and the looks of this table. Very heavy and solid built too.
Hola beeroscar :)

I have the silver version, the SL-1400 MK2. Its my pride and joy, as it not only performs rather nicely, but was the table that my father bought and treasured for decades.

I also had to fix the cueing lift with the part from shape ways as that is a common issue with this series (13x0, 14x0 & 15x0 MK2s).

It has a suspended platter / tonearm, which provides great isolation. However, this table is very sensitive to foot fall issues with wooden floors. I had to move my set up to a foot fall free area in my living room as I did not want to place it on a shelf on a wall (another way to solve the foot fall aspect).

Finally, the suspension sometimes gives way after decades of use. There are threads here at VE that show you how to repair that aspect as well.

Enjoy your 1410 MK2 8) It will probably spin for decades to come. =D>

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 07 Aug 2018 18:04

Just bought a SL-1210GR last week as my trusty SL-1700MKII started having intermittent speed issues. I am running the Stanton 881S cartridge with original low hour stylus, I bought back in 1980 with the 1700MKII, and it sounds great in the new 1200GR.

https://s15.postimg.cc/lsiovp36j/IMG_20 ... 213840.jpg

I bought the 1700MKII new back in 1980 and took it out of retirement a few years ago when I dusted off my old vinyl collection and was hooked again. I sold my old High School ring for the gold content back then to help pay for it and never looked back. Had to tune it up by replacing the cueing belt, replacing the RCA cable which had a intermittent short, cleaned and re-lubed all the plastic gears and epoxied a cracked arm transport gear and it ran beautifully until recently. Not giving up on her though and will trouble shoot the speed problem when I get some time and use this in my bedroom system with my old Dynaco A35 speakers. Hopefully just needs a good pot cleaning with tuner cleaner.

https://s15.postimg.cc/5isist7y3/IMG_20 ... 181156.jpg

beeroscar

Post by beeroscar » 08 Aug 2018 13:53

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
beeroscar wrote:I'm a fan of Technics and their DD tables. Here is mine.
SL-1410 MKII. Bought it cheap because the owner said the pitch was broken. The + pitch button was stuck, so a little contact spray and it was good to go. The tonearm lifter was not functioning, but I fixed it thanks to another threat in here. Love the sound and the looks of this table. Very heavy and solid built too.
Hola beeroscar :)

I have the silver version, the SL-1400 MK2. Its my pride and joy, as it not only performs rather nicely, but was the table that my father bought and treasured for decades.

I also had to fix the cueing lift with the part from shape ways as that is a common issue with this series (13x0, 14x0 & 15x0 MK2s).

It has a suspended platter / tonearm, which provides great isolation. However, this table is very sensitive to foot fall issues with wooden floors. I had to move my set up to a foot fall free area in my living room as I did not want to place it on a shelf on a wall (another way to solve the foot fall aspect).

Finally, the suspension sometimes gives way after decades of use. There are threads here at VE that show you how to repair that aspect as well.

Enjoy your 1410 MK2 8) It will probably spin for decades to come. =D>

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
Hola Roberto,
I've never had any issues with skipping, and I have wooden floor. I use vibrapods under the turntable - it probably helps.
I have 6 turntables - but the 1410 is my best and the only one I've managed to repare properly - so I'll hang on to it.
Saludos de un Chileno en Noruega

Pryso

Post by Pryso » 08 Aug 2018 17:48

oldschool,

"use this in my bedroom system with my old Dynaco A35 speakers." There is lots of information online for the A25s, not so much for the A35s. But they are very similar so the same advice applies. Nearly all owners recommend opening the speakers and replacing the crossover cap with a better quality current cap of the same value. Also, test the tweeters to be assured they still function properly.

To tie this back to the thread subject, then you will be able to better enjoy that 1700 Mk II. Also congrats on the SL-1210GR.

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 08 Aug 2018 18:18

Pryso wrote:oldschool,

"use this in my bedroom system with my old Dynaco A35 speakers." There is lots of information online for the A25s, not so much for the A35s. But they are very similar so the same advice applies. Nearly all owners recommend opening the speakers and replacing the crossover cap with a better quality current cap of the same value. Also, test the tweeters to be assured they still function properly.

To tie this back to the thread subject, then you will be able to better enjoy that 1700 Mk II. Also congrats on the SL-1210GR.
Thanks for the advice Pryso. Related to the A35's, I have owned them since new and they are in great shape and never abused. The tweeters still work as far as I can tell but will check them again as they are connected to an Onkyo amp and CD player and we use them from time to time and I thought they sounded fine. Never saw the need to replace the caps but I will have to research for recommendations.

Jdog1958
United States of America

Post by Jdog1958 » 09 Aug 2018 07:50

My SL-Q2. Not the fanciest, but it has been my favorite for 40 years... Ok, it's the only one I ever owned! Very reliable!
SL-Q2 (2)_edited.jpg
Sl-Q2
(908.03 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
I would not mind having a second table as a back-up/spare, and if I did find one, it would be another DD!

One question: are all the units with straight tone arms P-mounts?

JD

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 11 Aug 2018 04:18

Jdog1958 wrote:My SL-Q2. Not the fanciest, but it has been my favorite for 40 years... Ok, it's the only one I ever owned! Very reliable!
SL-Q2 (2)_edited.jpg
I would not mind having a second table as a back-up/spare, and if I did find one, it would be another DD!

JD
What does it mean when you have 5 turntables, which is the spare one :D ?
Chris

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 11 Aug 2018 07:01

While quality used turntables seem very rare around here (or are snapped up really quickly or syphoned off before hitting the sales floor), I've been luck enough to pick up three nice Technics turntables. All are direct drive. The first find was sitting with a pair of Technics speakers I was looking for, it caught my interest and I sprang for it as well. It is a diminutive SL-D4,linear tracker, but is all turntable. Came with a Shure M92, which remains on it,with an upgraded stylus (M104).Sounds great, looks NEAT, and moves between systems easily because of it's small footprint. Love it! Second find was a SL-D202, which is my daily direct driver (pun intended)which had only been on the shelf at a local SA thrift for about 20 minutes. Score! Barely even had to clean it up...has a Realistic R47XT on it,the definitive journeyman TT in my collection (6). Last and latest is a near perfect SL-Q200 with a re-stylused P128 cartridge which is reserved for more complex music because of the cartridge's extended upper range. Only needs a pair of new hinges to be perfect. So, I count myself lucky for my small group of Technics turntables, for all the same reasons mentioned by others. Technics and turntable are synonymous in my mind. :D

Jdog1958
United States of America

Post by Jdog1958 » 12 Aug 2018 21:49

cafe latte wrote:
Jdog1958 wrote:My SL-Q2. Not the fanciest, but it has been my favorite for 40 years... Ok, it's the only one I ever owned! Very reliable!
SL-Q2 (2)_edited.jpg

JD
Chris
Not sure who you were asking that question - never said I had 5 turntables.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Aug 2018 23:28

Jdog1958 wrote:
cafe latte wrote:
SL-Q2 (2)_edited.jpg

JD
Chris
Not sure who you were asking that question - never said I had 5 turntables.
I think Chris was speaking of himself there, JD... :wink: By the way, never say never yourself...I never thought I would get up to 30 myself, but then I kept seeing some really nice ones at decent prices (Most have been $50 or less!) that they kept following me home! #-o The more you look around, the more you're bound to come across them...at flea markets, estate sales, antique malls, thrift stores, on Craigslist and EBay, etc.

Regarding your question, Chris...There is no spare one, unless you only have two and plan to keep it at two...In any case, whether you have two or more, they are ALL to be loved unconditionally for different reasons! :) It's good to switch them out on occasion, or if you can, have one in the bedroom, one in the main room, one in the mancave, one in the garage, etc., if you can swing it! Have several systems ready so you can play records no matter where you are in the house! =D>

And should one TT bite the dust somehow, you can still play your records on another one!

Another fun thing you can do with a spare...My vinyl mentor set up an alternate system in the basement and had his daughter and a few of her friends come over...They had a little cookout-slash-retro dancing party...He played DJ for the night and all had a good time! They played a lot of classic 45's from the 80's and 90's, much of which I gave him over the years! His daughter was growing up so fast that he wanted to spend a little time with her before she got too old to wanna be around Dad...I am constantly reminded of Harry Chapin's "Cat's In The Cradle", where father and son never actually get together and have a good time...

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 14 Aug 2018 07:57

Yes was talking about myself just being daft :D
Chris

Jcellan
United States of America

Post by Jcellan » 09 Dec 2018 20:58

AAA4CBC2-E27A-4A2B-B1B4-B142233F7FB9.jpeg
(253.62 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
My $45 SL5350 with Empire 2004 cartridge. I absolutely love this turntable.

Pryso

Post by Pryso » 09 Dec 2018 23:20

OK, so this post popped up again, and I realized while I had commented a couple of times I never mentioned my own connections with Technics.

First I'll say I'm old enough that for my first stereo I bought a Dual 1009 new! Youngsters will not appreciate how long ago that was. Since I never abandoned vinyl after CDs were introduced that means many years of vinyl listening and playback systems. Because it was so compact and had a decent reputation, my first Technics was the SL-7 I bought for a bedroom system in the mid-80s. Now I'm embarrassed to admit mine came with the highly regarded EPC 205C cartridge. But I hadn't thought that through and never found reason to listen to LPs there. Worse yet, I never connected that in my main system where I could appreciate how good it was. I only learned that later reading about both the table and cartridge.

Then many years later one of my audio buddies (a reviewer for PFO) ask what I knew about the mods being done to the SL-1200 series. That was news to me so I began investigating. I learned enough that I decided to give a DD a try again. Among a few candidates I found a SP-10 Mk2A in very decent shape. For me a basic test with any turntable is how well it plays solo piano, particularly does it offer good attack and smooth decay without wavering. That SP-10 did both better than any of the very decent belt drive tables I'd owned.

About this same time I noted the renewed interest in mono recordings. Since I've been in the hobby so long I have a large number of those that I picked up new. This led me to realizing I wanted to be able to utilize multiple cartridges -- stereo MC, stereo MM/MI, LP mono, and even 78 mono for a couple of old family albums. That told me I wanted multiple tonearms. And that pointed me to needing a second table. Again I was fortunate and found a SP-15 for a reasonable price. And now that's why I watch for interesting reading on Technics.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 10 Dec 2018 02:18

Got a perfectly working, serviced, sl-d3, 6 weeks ago. With an m97Xe, tracks and plays everything perfectly at 1.25g.
Since the 70's, I've owned a 1300, 1300 mk2, 1600, 1600 mk2. Drifted away to a Thorens and a Denon, then back to the d3.

I think the vintage direct drive Technics tables are perfect for newbies, so they can avoid some of the new low to mid priced junk available today. It's just a question of convincing them that a 30 to 40 year old unit will outlast and outperform some of the newer crap.