the home of the turntable

Anti-skating not working at all.

turning japanese

Anti-skating not working at all.

Postby ncstampy » 24 Jul 2018 06:14

Hello everyone, first time post. I just bought an SL1200MK2 used and I'm trying to get it up and running. It won't make it through an entire song without skipping on any record. I think the issue is the anti-skating. I don't believe it is working at all. If I balance the arm and adjust the anti-skating control, nothing happens. The arm never moves. I believe after that I need to adjust the canceller spring. However, I wanted to be a sure before I started to take this thing apart. Has anyone else had this issue?
ncstampy

United States of America

Re: Anti-skating not working at all.

Postby audiopile » 25 Jul 2018 07:26

I once owned a really mint 1200 whose previous owner probably dumped it on me because the anti-skate was screwed up - once apart -noticed that he had fouled the spring with one of the tonearm wires. AS usual -I have a strong suspicion it hadn't come from the factory that way.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby sylvain999 » 28 Jul 2018 18:37

Yup it could have been tampered with non expert hands. Could also be a bearing issue.Best test for checking bearings is remove needle from cartridge, make the arm float, it should stay floating within 1/10 th of a gram, if you turn the weight more than that and arm stays still, vertical bearings are shot or need to be cleaned . For the horizontal, make the arm float at border of platter with no antiskate, then gently blow some air with your mouth, arm should travel freely to the end, then put some anti skating and arm should go back freely to the arm clip. If arm does not go to the end of record without sticking there is a bearing issue. If it goes to the end freely but does not come back when you apply anti skating then the arm was tampered with, or the cue damper leaked some silicone on the antiskating and got it stuck.
sylvain999

Canada

Postby AsOriginallyRecorded » 28 Jul 2018 19:25

Do you have any history on the previous use of the turntable in question? If used by someone for DJ-ing, extensive transfer to digital or the like, it may be wholly out of normal range of adjustment...including suggested bearing issues. Under normal domestic use, it is unlikely that the bearing would be compromised. On the other hand, too many curious and inept hands may have the basic setup far from ideal. Assuming you have the basic setup of zeroing the arm, setting stylus pressure and initial anti-skate reasonably close, my first attention would be adjusting the anti-skate back to zero or 1/10 gram, testing play on a suitable album (not one of your best or favorite), and adjusting anti-skate upward by a tenth to determine if the anti-skate is actually effectively working. I have a JVC turntable that exhibited similar behavior, skipping and returning approximately 2/3 through any album played. I rigorously cleaned the records I was using, to no avail. Adjusting the anti-skate so effectively stopped the aborted play and the unit has been playing faultlessly for months now. Anti-skate should often be viewed in an "as required" adjustment, as some arm/cartridge combinations have a degree of anti-skate built in by the existing play angles on the vinyl surface. A mechanical once over to determine conditions such as the mentioned spring hanging on wiring, etc. should not be overlooked either of course. Some doof may have indeed compromised normal operation by unqualified tinkering. Hopefully, as is often the case, the answer is easily found and applied. 8)
AsOriginallyRecorded

Canada

Postby Spinner45 » 28 Jul 2018 19:48

ncstampy wrote:Hello everyone, first time post. I just bought an SL1200MK2 used and I'm trying to get it up and running. It won't make it through an entire song without skipping on any record. I think the issue is the anti-skating. I don't believe it is working at all. If I balance the arm and adjust the anti-skating control, nothing happens. The arm never moves. I believe after that I need to adjust the canceller spring. However, I wanted to be a sure before I started to take this thing apart. Has anyone else had this issue?

The tonearm pivots are likely binding, possibly due to previous rough treatment or tampering.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby ncstampy » 28 Jul 2018 20:47

The previous owner was a DJ and he said he purchased it from another DJ. The serial number has been removed, so I'm not sure how old it is, but my guess is it has seen over 10-15 years of hard use. Thanks for all the advice!
ncstampy

United States of America

Postby ncstampy » 09 Aug 2018 00:21

I finally got time to take the TT apart and see that the canceller spring is not in the right position. It's on the wrong side of the arm shaft, so it's basically not doing anything. I'm not exactly sure how to correct this. The manual is not clear to me. Has anyone ever had to adjust this spring?
ncstampy

United States of America

Postby ncstampy » 09 Aug 2018 04:06

I was able to get it positioned correctly, but that didn't solve the problem. Guessing it's the bearings.
ncstampy

United States of America

Return to Technics