Technics SL-1200GR Worth Every Penny

turning japanese
Sterling1
United States of America

Technics SL-1200GR Worth Every Penny

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Jul 2018 12:33

I just pulled the trigger; and, I was quite anxious about my sight alignment. That's to say, I was not sure the features of the Technics SL-1210GR would indeed get more out of the groove than my 43 year old Sony PS-4750; but, I thought, why wonder, take the shot. Bullseye! I am totally satisfied, now hearing more from the groove from the features I speculated would get me better results, like precision tonearm bearings, adjustable VTA, and leveling feet. My conclusion, the Technics SL-1210GR is worth every penny it cost me. It's a 10 on the pleasure meter. :D

davidpr

Re: Technics SL-1200GR Worth Every Penny

Post by davidpr » 06 Jul 2018 13:00

Congratulations on your purchase and I am pleased with mine.

What cartridge are you using?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Jul 2018 13:42

davidpr wrote:Congratulations on your purchase and I am pleased with mine.

What cartridge are you using?
So far, I've only tried out the two carts I could get up and running without any time spent on mounting: a Shure V15V-MR and Ortofon 2M Red. I am thinking, from how easy it was to fit the Ortofon, a higher quality cart in their 2M Series is going to be quite compelling. Late today, I'm going to mount a Shure M97xE. Interestingly enough, the 2M Red really impresses on this turntable.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 06 Jul 2018 18:51

Good to hear. That's how I felt about my 1200 mk5 after I got it. Have you considered putting a KAB tonearm damper for it? The only upgrade you need.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Jul 2018 21:06

rewfew wrote:Good to hear. That's how I felt about my 1200 mk5 after I got it. Have you considered putting a KAB tonearm damper for it? The only upgrade you need.
No, since I'm now out of money for probably the next 5 or 6 months. :D

zoup-man

Post by zoup-man » 08 Jul 2018 02:13

Have you mounted the shure m97xe yet? what do you think of it in comparison to ortofon 2m red?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 08 Jul 2018 03:32

rewfew wrote:Good to hear. That's how I felt about my 1200 mk5 after I got it. Have you considered putting a KAB tonearm damper for it? The only upgrade you need.
I'm relatively sure that Technics did their research and development completely on the GR, knows what the discerning audiophile needs, and if damping was needed would have included the option.
But of course, obsessions of audiophiles isn't on the menu.
They always think they know better than the makers.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 08 Jul 2018 10:45

Spinner45 wrote:
I'm relatively sure that Technics did their research and development completely on the GR, knows what the discerning audiophile needs, and if damping was needed would have included the option.
Hello,

The SL-1200G is nearly 3 times the price of the 1200GR and doesn't have fluid damping for the tonearm either. No expense seems to have been speared on the G so I'm sure fluid damping is unnecessary too. I don't think buying a new table (at a quite substantial outlay) with a view to upgrading is particularly sensible.

Mike.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Jul 2018 13:42

zoup-man wrote:Have you mounted the shure m97xe yet? what do you think of it in comparison to ortofon 2m red?
It was my intent to get the Shure fitted to the Technics Headshell and use it as my primary cartridge, since its performance on my 43 year old Sony PS-4750 has been superior to the 2M Red in all manner. But, the pins on the Shure are it appears too great a diameter to accept the Technics Headshell wire leads. So, instead, I mounted the Shure to another headshell. I have not yet tried it out on the Technics however since the cartridge has not been aligned in that alternative shell to my satisfaction. Now, I've gotta tell ya, the 2M Red does sound better on the Technics than it did on the Sony player, so much better, that I'm not in a rush to change it out. In fact, my game plan is to buy another factory headshell and fit it with a Nagaoka MP-500 and be done with it. BTW, the reason for the factory headshell is its design coralates to VTA marked settings when cartridge height is known, and it is adjustable for azmiuth too.

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 08 Jul 2018 14:23

For a turntable that expensive an Ortofon 2M Black or a Denon moving coil cartridge might be a good future upgrade.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Jul 2018 14:42

Nigel Gomez wrote:For a turntable that expensive an Ortofon 2M Black or a Denon moving coil cartridge might be a good future upgrade.
Yes, and thank you for that suggestion.

davidpr

Post by davidpr » 09 Jul 2018 13:17

Sterling1 wrote:
Nigel Gomez wrote:For a turntable that expensive an Ortofon 2M Black or a Denon moving coil cartridge might be a good future upgrade.
Yes, and thank you for that suggestion.
I have the MP200 on mine and it sounds really good so a MP500 would be intersting.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 09 Jul 2018 17:14

Spinner45 wrote:I'm relatively sure that Technics did their research and development completely on the GR, knows what the discerning audiophile needs, and if damping was needed would have included the option.
I certainly wouldn't try to divine why Technics didn't choose this useful and long known benefit for tonearms. It of course isn't a necessity, but in use the fluid damper makes for more enjoyable music. Technics doesn't seem to make any upgrades. Many turntable makers seem though to have available upgrades, like VPI. Why wouldn't they include these upgrades for their discerning audiophile needs on their base products? KAB covers a niche in the Technics product where none would otherwise be available, reasonable and at a price not customarily associated with audiophile upgrades. The benefits of fluid damping for tonearms..https://www.kabusa.com/damping.htm
It doesn't cost an arm and a leg @ 169 bucks and especially for the newer G and GR, the only upgrade needed, if you enjoy the best sound playback you can get and don't sweat the rest. In other words, not unreasonable. If your a discerning, unobsessed audiophile appreciative of what the makers made, but made a smidgen better.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 09 Jul 2018 19:37

I think it's a great move by Technics to keep those tables in the market.
It is a service to all record lovers.
I'm not sure if they will make a profit.
Probably not.
I fear they will not offer them for long.

Anyway, while not cheap, I really feel they are unbeatable in terms of quality, given the current competition. It's virtually impossible to get a better table for that money, or even 2x that.

Enjoy my friend!

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 10 Jul 2018 06:11

Listening to Ella thru my 1200GAE and with a KAB damper installed - have KAB dampers on two of my older 1200's (used to be 3 - but made the mistake of selling one and including the damper as part of the sale). Also -own two of the SME series 3 arms and have SME factory dampers on those as well. And a SME 3009-II that I have never really listened to - that came with the padlles n trough. And I really enjoy the electronically damped/driven arms on the Sony ,Denon and JVC auto tables here.There isn't fluid dampening on my Series IV SME ( I am sorta lusting after a V as a result) - but it would be fair to say that time and lots of experience have made me a serious fan of damped arms. The KAB dampers are a steal price /performance wise.