the home of the turntable

Technics sl110a garage find

turning japanese

Technics sl110a garage find

Postby Lincoln_3x7 » 03 Jul 2018 17:23

I brought this home last night. This evening I am planning on hooking it up and adding a couple drops of oil to it and see what happens. It did spend the last 15 years or so in a garage here in Missouri... so heat and cold every year. Any other maintenance suggestions? (we are still looking for the strobe).

Should that cork mat be replaced? Not sure how long those last.
I should probably clean the stylus? Any household cleaner ok for that.. Alcohol?

Lincoln_3x7

United States of America

Re: Technics sl110a garage find

Postby markcass » 03 Jul 2018 19:01

That's some find!

The strobe was a separate item, I believe, with its own model number. Maybe it plugged in where the AC outlet is sitting. A lamp running off AC (with a tungsten bulb) would be a low or no-cost substitute to view the strobe lines and adjust the speed.

The SME III arm is certainly a bonus addition.

There should be manuals in the Library to assist you with maintenance tasks, and there are certainly plenty of Technics experts on here who can advise.

Mark
markcass
long player
long player
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby Lincoln_3x7 » 06 Jul 2018 16:08

Thanks for the comment Mark.

The strobe has been found, Ill test that soon.
I have done some more cleaning... removing dust, tape residue, the old gummed up oil from dampener.
The cartridge was not square with the platter, I dont have the sme tool... so I used a roofing square.
The lateral balance was off, I adjusted that.
Added some new 80,000 weight oil, not at full height yet... so will add more.
Not sure how accurate the balance is, when I get a scale I will rebalance and set the force.
Tracking angle and arm height are both slightly off. Will adjust this weekend.
The bias adjustment weight was hooked to the lateral balance instead of the bias stud on top, fixed that.
On the drop... there was ton of drift out... manual states to clean the rubber on the arm lift. I did that and it drops perfectly straight now.

With all thats left to do. It still sound better than anything I have owned or had access to before.
Ill check back with updates after I complete more adjustments.

Thanks,
Lincoln
Lincoln_3x7

United States of America

Postby Tonybro » 06 Jul 2018 18:12

I'm with Mark, that's some find! :D

Look forward to seeing it all cleaned up and working...
Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby rewfew » 10 Jul 2018 17:19

That's quite a testament to the build quality of the turntable and tonearm. Being a Missourian myself living with the weather extremes. Colder than the b**ls on a brass goose in the winter and like the humid jungle's of Malaysia in the summer. Happy listening with your salvage operation.
rewfew

Postby eddie edirol » 10 Jul 2018 18:57

Hell of a find. Luckily its not an automatic so there isnt much to relube/maintain there other than the adjustments youve already done. But that unit will last as long as you need it to.
eddie edirol

United States of America

Return to Technics