the home of the turntable

Technics SL-23 tone arm wiring

turning japanese

Technics SL-23 tone arm wiring

Postby The_Peeper » 14 Jun 2018 04:32

]Hi all,

This is my first post here, so "hi". I'm Dan & I have been collecting records for about 25 years now.

Today I opened up my 'backup turntable' which is a Technics SL-23, to resolder the RCA leads.
During disassembly, and before I could take a photo (which I normally do when pulling apart electronics), one of the hair-thin tone arm wires pulled off. For the life of me, I don't know where it was soldered on.

Currently attached (from L to R) I have blue / white / red / green / black. And then there's another black wire hanging out of the tone arm "hole" (I'm sure that's not the right word).

If anyone knows where it should be soldered, I'd really appreciate the advice / info.
IMG_4845.JPG
SL-23 tone arm wires
The_Peeper

Australia

Re: Technics SL-23 tone arm wiring

Postby Alec124c41 » 14 Jun 2018 04:47

Black - black. It's a ground.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby The_Peeper » 14 Jun 2018 05:04

Thanks Alec :)

Just to be really sure & so I don't mess up the turntable - would you possibly know where I should solder it back to?
My guess is the far right terminal with the thick black & green ground wires?

Thanks again
The_Peeper

Australia

Postby Spinner45 » 14 Jun 2018 05:15

Isn't that a tag solder tab right near the exit hole?
:shock:
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby The_Peeper » 14 Jun 2018 08:08

I soldered it on to that tab.

But now I'm in a position where I regret attempting this myself. I carefully screwed everything back together, turned the turntable back the right way up, re-installed the platter/belt, headshell and ...
Now I can't move the tonearm!
I can lift it vertically, but it simply won't move horizontally (ie to the left, in order to cue the arm). Completely stuck; like the auto-return mechanism is holding it tight, or something. I don't want to force anything.
I've tried turning the plastic return mechanism wheel in its natural direction, and this illuminates the srobe and activates the belt pulley motor, but the arm still won't budge.

I've been googling for the last hour or so and can't find anything about it. The arm raise/lower lever is fine, and the
The_Peeper

Australia

Return to Technics