the home of the turntable

SL-1900 questions

turning japanese

SL-1900 questions

Postby pioneer guy » 13 May 2018 22:58

Sooo after reading the forums and watching a few YouTube videos about how to fix the standard tonearm not dropping issue, I attempted it myself this AM. I couldn't get the turntable off. There is a giant warning sticker on the platter stating that it is part of the motor assembly and ought not to be removed. I attempted to pry it off regardless but it wouldn't budge. After a closer look at the platter I noticed 3 holes around the spindle that looked to have the bottom end of bolts holding the platter on. I am far from a turntable Jedi but that is not in the service manual. Has anyone else encountered this or am I truly as special as my Mother has always claimed?
pioneer guy

Canada

Re: SL-1900 questions

Postby eddie edirol » 13 May 2018 23:37

That turntable does not have anything holding it to the spindle. It should pull right up by the large finger holes.
It might be just on there from not ever being removed before, but you have to pull it straight up. Try prying your fingers under the platter, that should do it.
eddie edirol

United States of America

Postby pioneer guy » 13 May 2018 23:41

that's what I figured, but it seems to lift up that motor as well. I'll keep working at it I guess and try not to break it
pioneer guy

Canada

Postby eddie edirol » 14 May 2018 01:16

The magnet you see with the platter is only part of the motor, that actually is screwed to the platter, and it is designed to be removed with the platter. The rest of the motor should stay with the turntable. The spindle should be screwed to the turntable base though, with the inner part of the motor.

Take a look at this video:
https://youtu.be/k0HTskP4Wak?t=1m51s
eddie edirol

United States of America

Postby pioneer guy » 14 May 2018 02:01

That's one of the videos I watched. It's hard to see anything in the photos in the service manualbut I must be looking at the bolts holding the magnet to the platter. Once the kids are in bed and I can swear and curse freely I'll try again :D
Thanks for taking the time to Help me out!

Clint
pioneer guy

Canada

Postby pioneer guy » 14 May 2018 22:55

A few taps with a rubber mallet and the platter popped off. I managed to clean it up and grease up the moving parts without losing any. After confirming my mystery cartridge suspicions in the cartridge forum I was able to zero out the arm and properly adjust everythi g and it sounds great! Thanks again for your Help
pioneer guy

Canada

Return to Technics