the home of the turntable

Technics Cover Repair

turning japanese

Technics Cover Repair

Postby Lowlander2 » 12 May 2018 19:06

Hi there,

I recently bought an SL-5310 and noticed that one of the noses that go into the hinges had broken off the cover. An extensive search on the interwebs revealed that the same cover is shared beetween quite a number of Technics SL- models (no warranty list: 220, 221, 230, 231, B3, D2, D3, 5100, 5110, 5200, 5210, 5300, 5310, 3200, 3210, 3300, 3310, Q2, Q3, Q33), but there no NOS covers, and well preserved covers are extremely hard to come by. So I decided to repair my original cover.

The idea of making anything from metal was quickly dumped due to the complexity of the part and my lack of filing skills.

So I fired up Sketchup to design a 3D printed part from scratch that would replace the whole nose. The part eventually should conceal any damage done to the back of the cover, be stiff enough to handle the weight of the cover, keep the cover in its original position/geometry on the turntable and should look as much as possible as an original Technics part would look like. I'm not an engineer at all, so this took quite some time. One thing that turned up in the process was that the nose and the back of the cover do _not_ form a right angle.

I sent my first design to a 3D printing service, received two prints, re-designed the part, had more prints made, re-designed again and finally received prints that fitted my needs. I ordered a few sets of different nuts and bolts to try and eventually had a repair kit that looks like so:

And here is a description how my first repair was done. You need some masking tape, a 4mm and a 4.5mm drill, a Philips screwdriver and a 7mm spanner.

This is the cover's sad state as bought with the turntable:

First use the old Dremel to completely remove the rest of the broken nose and make a notch in the size of the shallower lower part if the nose. It might be wise to use some masking tape to mark the working area and protect its surroundings. You have to create an even surface.

Use sanding paper to remove any remaining protrusions. Dents don't do much harm as long as they keep within the masked working area. I removed my masking tape too soon and had to do some polishing work after this stage.

Check if the repair part fits. It has to be flush with the lower edge of the cover. You may want to check on the turntable if everything aligns properly.

Hold or fixate the repair part excactly in place and very carefully drill two 4mm holes through the cover. Take the repair part off and enlarge the holes to 4.5mm. Remove any edges form the bores.

Attach the repair part with two screws and nuts. This is how it should look like now from the inside of the cover:

And this is how the finished repair looks like.

If anyone is interested, I have some spare kits here (complete with nuts and bolts), and I can send them anywhere.

Have fun,
Low
Lowlander2

Germany

Re: Technics Cover Repair

Postby analogaudio » 12 May 2018 19:27

Nice work :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Lowlander2 » 12 May 2018 22:09

Thanks. And sorry for the typos. :oops: I‘m not a native speaker of das English and can‘t make any more corrections now.
Lowlander2

Germany

Postby vinyl master » 12 May 2018 22:20

Good work and nice overview of how you did it! =D> I'm sure this will be useful to present and future Technics owners, should they have similar issues! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Chiltern » 13 May 2018 00:10

That looks a very well made and thought out repair.

This is a common problem with these Technics decks, the only solution in the past has been (for me at least) to make up parts from alloy angle for the tabs and finish off with a trim plate on the inside for strength and cosmetics (see picture, uploaded 2016).

Alan
Chiltern
contributor

England

Postby Sleepwalker65 » 14 May 2018 06:17

Lowlander2 wrote:Hi there,

I recently bought an SL-5310 and noticed that one of the noses that go into the hinges had broken off the cover. An extensive search on the interwebs revealed that the same cover is shared beetween quite a number of Technics SL- models (no warranty list: 220, 221, 230, 231, B3, D2, D3, 5100, 5110, 5200, 5210, 5300, 5310, 3200, 3210, 3300, 3310, Q2, Q3, Q33), but there no NOS covers, and well preserved covers are extremely hard to come by. So I decided to repair my original cover.

The idea of making anything from metal was quickly dumped due to the complexity of the part and my lack of filing skills.

So I fired up Sketchup to design a 3D printed part from scratch that would replace the whole nose. The part eventually should conceal any damage done to the back of the cover, be stiff enough to handle the weight of the cover, keep the cover in its original position/geometry on the turntable and should look as much as possible as an original Technics part would look like. I'm not an engineer at all, so this took quite some time. One thing that turned up in the process was that the nose and the back of the cover do _not_ form a right angle.

I sent my first design to a 3D printing service, received two prints, re-designed the part, had more prints made, re-designed again and finally received prints that fitted my needs. I ordered a few sets of different nuts and bolts to try and eventually had a repair kit that looks like so:

And here is a description how my first repair was done. You need some masking tape, a 4mm and a 4.5mm drill, a Philips screwdriver and a 7mm spanner.

This is the cover's sad state as bought with the turntable:

First use the old Dremel to completely remove the rest of the broken nose and make a notch in the size of the shallower lower part if the nose. It might be wise to use some masking tape to mark the working area and protect its surroundings. You have to create an even surface.

Use sanding paper to remove any remaining protrusions. Dents don't do much harm as long as they keep within the masked working area. I removed my masking tape too soon and had to do some polishing work after this stage.

Check if the repair part fits. It has to be flush with the lower edge of the cover. You may want to check on the turntable if everything aligns properly.

Hold or fixate the repair part excactly in place and very carefully drill two 4mm holes through the cover. Take the repair part off and enlarge the holes to 4.5mm. Remove any edges form the bores.

Attach the repair part with two screws and nuts. This is how it should look like now from the inside of the cover:

And this is how the finished repair looks like.

If anyone is interested, I have some spare kits here (complete with nuts and bolts), and I can send them anywhere.

Have fun,
Low

This is fantastic work! Congrats on such a professional result! There is great potential to sell this product, I for one would be interested in buying at least one set, or paying you a suitable royalty fee to use your design. Thank you for sharing this great work !
Sleepwalker65

Canada

Postby mclaren007 » 19 May 2018 05:33

I want a set, possibly two. I would like info how to get them. There was someone selling metal repair bits on the bay, but haven't seen them in a while.
mclaren007

United States of America

Postby Tom_Technics » 20 May 2018 23:43

That looks amazing. Great work. This is definitely the most fitting remedy for this issue that I've come across. I would like to buy two sets if that's possible?
Tom_Technics

United Kingdom

Postby Tom_Technics » 20 May 2018 23:50

Tom_Technics wrote:That looks amazing. Great work. This is definitely the most fitting remedy for this issue that I've come across. I would like to buy two sets if that's possible?

Make that 4
Tom_Technics

United Kingdom

Postby Lowlander2 » 21 May 2018 08:17

Thanks for the kudos! :D

Quick update: After posting the article I found that I had forgotten to mention the Dremel (or something of the kind) in the list of tools needed. I'm sure pretty much everyone figured that out reading the full text. And it needs to be noted that for the repair part to slide into place, the cover material around the hinges must not exceed 3.2mm in thickness.

All the parts from my first productive batch (of four) are gone. Please PM me if you would like to participate in the second run and I'll put you on the list.

Disclaimer: This is a private DIY project and although the 3D parts are professionally printed from sintered Polyadmide, there have not been any kind of scientific quality testing or serial tests been carried out on them. The parts fit my own turntable, and as far as I can see are absolutely strong enough to take the weight of my cover.

Happy listening,
Low
Lowlander2

Germany

Return to Technics