the home of the turntable

Technics sl-b205

turning japanese

Technics sl-b205

Postby gdubois » 11 May 2018 21:23

Greetings all. I picked up a technics sl-b205 with a melted belt as a throw-in with a fully functional Pioneer sg-300 eq for $50 for the pair. My wife is super stoked that I have another lame excuse to procrastinate on chores (you guessed it, sarcasm) but I convinced her that I'm working on a set-up for mums-in-law to listen to her old gospel records (mm-hmm). But anywhoodle, enough about me. Belt is on the way via ebay, but I noticed the motor starts up, then sputters sporadically while not maintaining consistent speed. Synthetic oil is also being shipped, but just wanted to ask you fine folks if anyone has had the same issue w/the technics tt and if oil could be the true remedy. Or if this issue is common in technics motors. Thanks and chop chop lollipops as they say in some circles (I have no idea which circles say that)
gdubois

Re: Technics sl-b205

Postby Spinner45 » 11 May 2018 22:26

A drop of oil at the top bearing under the motor pulley is wise.
Also shooting a shot of control cleaner (Deoxit or similar) into the underside of the speed adjustment pots to flush out the dust is good.
Work the knobs back and forth several times.
Any remaining melted belt MUST be cleaned off the drive surfaces COMPLETELY.
Because the sticky residue will not let the belt ride smoothly.
Download the service/owners manuals from the Library and familierize yourself with the information.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby gdubois » 12 May 2018 20:43

Hey spinner, I appreciate the advice. I can't wait to get it going and plug this one into the old Fisher receiver. Cheers!
gdubois

Postby gdubois » 16 May 2018 05:44

Update on the tt. New belt and drop of oil on the motor got it going. Pitch was too slow at highest setting, but a quarter turn on the speed adjustment and its running like a striped-assed ape through my jvc sk-15a speakers.
gdubois

Postby vinyl master » 16 May 2018 07:12

gdubois wrote:Greetings all. I picked up a technics sl-b205 with a melted belt as a throw-in with a fully functional Pioneer sg-300 eq for $50 for the pair. My wife is super stoked that I have another lame excuse to procrastinate on chores (you guessed it, sarcasm) but I convinced her that I'm working on a set-up for mums-in-law to listen to her old gospel records (mm-hmm).

Of course, if you got a second TT for the garage, you could rock out WHILE fixing up all those things that need fixing...AKA the "to-do list"! But, you don't necessarily have to tell her that... 8-[

Still, sounds like a fun project...I recently got a Technics myself, an SL-D202 (my first direct-drive!), so I know how nice these models are! And for $50, how can you complain??? =D>

You may want to download this...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... b205.shtml

...and post a little something here, though...

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=88346

I can also vouch for the cheap Anderol Spindle Oil that KABUSA sells...Look for the "Original Technics SFW0 010 spindle oil" down the page here...

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby gdubois » 16 May 2018 21:56

Oh, man.. I'm going to be all over that cheapskates forum. I've had good luck at the nearby estate sales. Seems like they all have good gear and the salespeople don't see much value in it. Sadly, I've probably spent more money on contact cleaner, antennas, and parts/accessories than the units themselves.
Funny you mentioned the backup garage tt, because that's exactly what I'm using it for as I "clean out the garage and list my stuff on Craigslist and offerup" wink wink..but admittedly, I have a bit of a hoarding problem. For the oil, I went with a silicone product by Liberty (unfortunately not endorsed by Wilford Brimley). Seems to be doing the trick, I'll update if anything goes awry. Thanks for the link on the sl-b205,it somehow eluded me when I was looking for it, was using slb-200 manual as a guideline with different schematics. Cheers!
gdubois

Postby vinyl master » 17 May 2018 00:28

You're right, gdubois...But, spending where it counts on things like supplies, cleaners and accessories will come in handy and is par for the course when finding electronics like this...I understand the hoarding problem, but as long as you keep things in check and make the hobby fun, it's OK...When it's not fun anymore, that's when you've got a problem! Still, it's better than junking these things for the landfill...And if you don't have time for the TT's, please give or sell them to someone who does, rather than throw them away! By the way, I want to know what good gear you've been finding at estate sales!! :wink: What have you missed out on? I have a thread for that, too!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91628

Just remember, a clean garage is a much better place to work on projects than a cluttered one...It may take time, but the process is worth it in the end! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Technics