the home of the turntable

SL-1700MK2 Tone Arm End of Record Sensor Repair

turning japanese

SL-1700MK2 Tone Arm End of Record Sensor Repair

Postby Sleepwalker65 » 03 May 2018 23:31

It looks like the sensor that detects the end of records on my SL-1700MK2 was damaged by the prior owner. The service manual doesn’t give much detail on this sensor, but I believe it uses a metal “shutter” that moves with the tone arm through an optical sensor. It seems there is a series of parallel slots cut into a piece of metal attached to the “shutter”, and a matching piece on one side of the optical sensor (I guess the receiving side) to generate a series of pulses for the control circuit to calibrate itself to. Problem is the piece with the slots on the sensor has been attached on 2 sides with weak joints, one of which had been broken.

Any opinions on my assumptions of how the sensor is supposed to work, and / or advice on repair?

Thanks as always!
Sleepwalker65
broken record

Re: SL-1700MK2 Tone Arm End of Record Sensor Repair

Postby milketizmo » 04 May 2018 14:53

There's a little rubber covered opening on the backside of the tonearm base. It's there to calibrate the autostop function. Theres a little more about that in the manual. Sorry if this did'nt Help.
Best of luck.
milketizmo

Croatia

Postby analogaudio » 05 May 2018 01:55

Please can you provide pictures showing what you describe?
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Sleepwalker65 » 12 Jun 2018 03:32

Well, I’m making progress. This past weekend, i re-assembled the tonearm base, after straightening the bent “shutters” on the optical arm position sensor. I was never more thankful that I had the presence of mind to take a bunch of photos when I disassembled the tonearm base. With a little patience, I got it all back together, except for the tonearm wire and muting switch (waiting on a special wire stripper for the KAB silicone Super-Flex tonearm wire). Much to my surprise, the arm’s auto-return and electrically operated cuing control work perfectly! Now I still have to solve the mystery of the innefective anti-skate spring (another thread), but I’m one big step closer to playing records on this 39 year old turntable. Thanks again for your continued Help and encouragement!
Sleepwalker65
broken record

Return to Technics