the home of the turntable

SL-QD33 Plinth Replacement

turning japanese

SL-QD33 Plinth Replacement

Postby 2002afan » 01 May 2018 13:34

Hi. How difficult is it to remove a cracked SL-QD33 plinth and replace it with a nused one? It has a crack by the power on button :cry: . The player works fine and is in otherwise great shape. I bought it off of ebay and it was improperly shipped.
I could just try some gorilla glue but I'm too anal :lol: . I guess it's just that engineer in me. All suggestions welcome :) .
Cheers,
2002afan
2002afan

United States of America

Re: SL-QD33 Plinth Replacement

Postby 2002afan » 05 May 2018 02:29

What no takers? Ha-ha. I decided to take the easy way out. I used some black masking tape for covering chrome trim on cars. Looks great. I have four other turntables, so it didn't make much sense to disassemble a perfectly running turntable for some cosmetics with the chance that it would not quit run the same after. Same went for the Gorilla Glue. Didn't want it to glue something stuck by mistake.
My collection consist of a mint a Denon DP-15F that I bought new in the mid eighties, a real nice Technic SL-DD33, a real nice Technic SL-Q300 (like that plastic) and a real-real nice Technic SL 1300 (a real tank) recently given to me by my buddy and the original owner from 1977.
It came with a Shure V15iii but the original stylus came apart during the second album I played. I'm using an Ed Saunder's replacement stylus for now. Still breaking in, so far so good. I'm going to audition an M110HE with a JICO SAS next. Waiting on some replacement copper wires to arrive. I have a M97xE laying around too. I plan on purchasing a NAGAOKA MP-110 soon. The Ortofon Bronze would my be last stop with maybe a AKG-P8e or a Denon Dl-110 in between. Decisions , decisions.
Cheers
2002afan

United States of America

Postby rewfew » 08 May 2018 15:58

Well it looks like you did the most reasonable thing. Other wise getting a undamaged plinth would most likely entailed "buying" another sl-qd33. I've always thought the Technics Q line of tables as being very attractive for someone that is new to the medium and convenient for those unsure of cartridge alignment.
rewfew

Postby 2002afan » 09 May 2018 03:51

Rewfew, Thanks for the reply. I actually could have gotten a used plinth for 25.00. The problem was changing everything else over. I'm a recently RETIRED (smiling) civil engineer not an electrical. I didn't want to screw it up. I only paid 80.00 dollars for the sl-qd33 and I after I was gifted the 1300 my priorities changed. I like the old Technics. They bring back memories when I was younger and I couldn't afford them. A few of my friends had them. I had an old Garrard.
I also like them because you can upgrade the RCA cables to today's standards. Makes a difference. Cartridge choices are limited with the P mounts but I was able to secure the M110HE with a JICO SAS on the cheap. Sounded great on the 33. I'm now using it on the 1300 with the adapter. Sounds even better. I ditched the AKG idea. More research indicated potential problems awaited. I didn't want to buy something that may turn into a paperweight. My next move is the NAGAOKA. I'm good with a protractor.
I enjoy this site and Hi-Fi Engine. A lot of real knowledgeable audiophile people on both.
Thanks again.
2002afan

United States of America

Postby rewfew » 09 May 2018 16:49

Retirement 2002afan is as my older brother told me once, like, "every day is Sunday". I'm also relatively recent retired, (January). Not by design as where I worked closed. But in retrospect, best damn thing to happen to me in a long time. I have the Technics 1200 and have no notions nor lust for any other table. Also have a Nagaoka MP200 I procured used off ebay. A very nice cartridge. You can't go wrong with them I think. Contribute here regular like.
rewfew

Postby 2002afan » 09 May 2018 17:43

I retired at the end of March. My company was bought by another company. They didn't like to hear "how we used to do it" from the old guys like myself, so I figured after twenty eight years of commuting in DC area traffic, it was time to move on. My stress level is now my wife asking what I want for dinner. Been using the time to spin some ole jazz albums, hunt down some local record shops and doing those honey do's. I ordered the Nagaoka this morning. I will give an update when I have it in my possession. Thanks for the offer to contribute.
Cheers.
2002afan

United States of America

Return to Technics