Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

turning japanese
dedekam
junior member
junior member
Posts: 13
Joined: 12 Nov 2017 11:58

Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by dedekam » 13 Feb 2018 19:52

Hello everyone. just bought a Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H cartridge. i have set it up, but i dont feel 100% its correct/as good as it can be..any tips or videos that come recommended? adjustments for dummies type..

the arm LOOKS to me like its balanced/floating - and the antiskating and balanceweight are both around the 1.8 point. but after listening to a few records i feel like its some sign og slight distortion at times..this can also by my imagination of course

any tips are welcomed :)

my previous deck was a Rega Planar 3 (latest version)

octavius
member
member
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 10:18

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by octavius » 18 Feb 2018 07:59

What method you used? For my SL1210 MK2 I usually got better sonic result with Baerwald alignment. Try download Baerwald from this site https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-a ... tors.shtml and check if result is better. In my experience I had to use standard technics alignment then Stevenson but sound was not as good lets sat 3 dimensional like with Baerwald method.

robinliebrechts
member
member
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Apr 2016 18:26

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by robinliebrechts » 18 Feb 2018 08:26

dedekam wrote:Hello everyone. just bought a Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H cartridge. i have set it up, but i dont feel 100% its correct/as good as it can be..any tips or videos that come recommended? adjustments for dummies type..

the arm LOOKS to me like its balanced/floating - and the antiskating and balanceweight are both around the 1.8 point. but after listening to a few records i feel like its some sign og slight distortion at times..this can also by my imagination of course

any tips are welcomed :)

my previous deck was a Rega Planar 3 (latest version)
The Rega was probably better sounding :mrgreen: . I had the GR for a while but it missed dynamics with all the carts (MP 110/GR 1006/AT VM 540 ML) i used. The best sonic result i had with the Technics overhang gauge or Stevenson alignment. But sadly the GR didn't satisfied me as much as i wanted :(

octavius
member
member
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 10:18

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by octavius » 18 Feb 2018 08:33

Hmmm It´s interesting. I have three cartridges AT440Mlb, AT150SA and MP-110 and can not complain for not enough dynamics... But I have model 1210MK2 from 2005 year.

zoup-man
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 08 Jul 2018 02:07

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by zoup-man » 13 Jul 2018 22:28

Set it up with Baerwald Arc Protractor downloadable from this site. Make sure the printout is 100% scale.

My GR witha Denon 103R sounds phenomenal

legin
junior member
junior member
Posts: 14
Joined: 26 Feb 2016 13:32

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by legin » 27 Aug 2018 21:28

I use Lofgren A alignment with an Nagaoka MP150 on a SL1200GR with a Schitt Mani phono amp. This alignment looks a bit weird as the cart is way forward in the head shell and slightly twisted inwards when correctly done. I found the difference from the alignment using the standard overhang gauge was huge. The VTA also needs to be set so the arm is tail up. I have my VTA set at 5 and this provides the best results to my ears. Also dump the supplied phono lead and get a decent quality lead about 0.6m long. The combination of Technics and the Nag are very sensitive to adjustment so you should be able to find a sweet spot for your ears. Good luck.

octavius
member
member
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 10:18

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by octavius » 03 Sep 2018 09:22

Are you sure do you have set MP-150 at 5 on VTA knob? Is not so high? I have on 3 VTA with technics sl-1210 MK2 with 6mm rubber "slip mat"

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 514
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 23:47

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by Shadowman82 » 04 Sep 2018 00:10

So you are using a cartridge that costs less than $200 Canadian on a turntable that costs $2400 Canadian ? I mean if I could afford the SL-1200 GR I would probably invest into a better cartridge . That's not to say the cartridge you have is bad but I question wether you will get all that the Turntable is capable of with that cartridge .

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 10086
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by cafe latte » 04 Sep 2018 00:20

Shadowman82 wrote:So you are using a cartridge that costs less than $200 Canadian on a turntable that costs $2400 Canadian ? I mean if I could afford the SL-1200 GR I would probably invest into a better cartridge . That's not to say the cartridge you have is bad but I question wether you will get all that the Turntable is capable of with that cartridge .
Plus one get a better cart. I have a mp-500 amongst other carts, it is fine but far from the best cart I have, it is nice but a little narrow, it lacks the air of other carts. I would be getting a damper off Kabusa for the arm as it made a massive difference to my sl1210mk2 so it will likely make a huge difference to the GR too.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 10086
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by cafe latte » 04 Sep 2018 00:28

robinliebrechts wrote:
dedekam wrote:Hello everyone. just bought a Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H cartridge. i have set it up, but i dont feel 100% its correct/as good as it can be..any tips or videos that come recommended? adjustments for dummies type..

the arm LOOKS to me like its balanced/floating - and the antiskating and balanceweight are both around the 1.8 point. but after listening to a few records i feel like its some sign og slight distortion at times..this can also by my imagination of course

any tips are welcomed :)

my previous deck was a Rega Planar 3 (latest version)
The Rega was probably better sounding :mrgreen: . I had the GR for a while but it missed dynamics with all the carts (MP 110/GR 1006/AT VM 540 ML) i used. The best sonic result i had with the Technics overhang gauge or Stevenson alignment. But sadly the GR didn't satisfied me as much as i wanted :(
Non of the carts you list will show even close what the GR was capable of. The Rega may have sounded wider with these carts, but you were probably listening to doubling distortion which can give a fuller sound, but not good. If you want a wider more genuine dynamic sound a better cart is the way forward and maybe a Kab arm damper.
Chris

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 514
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 23:47

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by Shadowman82 » 05 Sep 2018 00:11

If I could afford the $2400 the GR costs I'd probably get something in at least the Ortofon Bronze price range , preferably The Ortofon Black . That's not saying you have to get Ortofon , just something in that class and price range .

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 414
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by Sterling1 » 05 Sep 2018 00:37

Shadowman82 wrote:If I could afford the $2400 the GR costs I'd probably get something in at least the Ortofon Bronze price range , preferably The Ortofon Black . That's not saying you have to get Ortofon , just something in that class and price range .
It seems to me the Ortofon 2M Black would be ideal for the SL-1200GR for a multitude of reasons.

octavius
member
member
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 10:18

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by octavius » 05 Sep 2018 06:08

I'm curious if there is a big sound quality differences between AT150SA and Ortofon 2M Black?? I think Black is overpriced IMO...

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 414
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by Sterling1 » 05 Sep 2018 10:11

octavius wrote:I'm curious if there is a big sound quality differences between AT150SA and Ortofon 2M Black?? I think Black is overpriced IMO...
I like the 2M design. The internal capture nuts, and the 18mm cartridge height promote alignment perfection. And, in fact, the PNP version of the 2M assures perfect alignment to Technics' geometry, without any user demand other than to set VTA.

octavius
member
member
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 10:18

Re: Technics SL-1200GR w/Nagaoka MP-110H Set-up tips..

Post by octavius » 05 Sep 2018 11:20

Those features what you mentioned are very fine!

Post Reply