Technics SL-D202 Turntable Platter Mat (Hard Plastic)

turning japanese
Stormwind

Technics SL-D202 Turntable Platter Mat (Hard Plastic)

Post by Stormwind » 30 Dec 2017 04:28

I've recently purchased a used SL-D202 and noticed a little wobble on the platterwhen playing. Upon investigation I discovered the mat is not sitting properly on that one spot. Someone told me to replace it. I've watched countless videos and they all look like a soft rubber mat that you just pick up easily. Mine is a hard plastic that seems to be pretty tight in there and I don't want to put force on the platter trying to remove Otto replace with a rubber or cork mat. Any ideas will be very helpful and appreciated. Thank you

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-D202 Turntable Platter Mat (Hard Plastic)

Post by musicmn » 30 Dec 2017 04:53

Hi, all technics mats are made of rubber and are easy to remove from the platter. The mat on your turntable has most likely turn hard from age. I have seen this a bunch of times on various turntables. Usually I just break it off the platter and throw it away. You might even find and oil like substance under the mat this oil is the rubber returning to its natural state. So don't be afraid to get it off the platter and throw it out. Then clean the platter with a little alcohol on a rag to remove any gunk that might be there. You can then buy a new rubber mat or felt mat or cork mat and even a foam mat if you want. They all have a little different effect on the sound from the record. Try using the custom Google search engine on this site to find any post about different platter mats and there effect on sound. I hope this helps.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 30 Dec 2017 05:01

I also have a SL-D202 turntable, which I love and use a lot. When I bought it used, at a thrift store, the original mat was on it, and was more like plastic than rubber, and had a crack in it, radiating out from the spindle hole. I tried softening it, but eventually just bought a used mat in good condition from a friend. My old mat didn't introduce any wobble, but would no longer grip the LP, causing occasional speed irregularities. Opinions vary on replacements.....my opinion is to replace with what the factory originally provided. Unless someone dense glued the mat to the platter, the platter and mat should be easily removed by pressure on the spindle with your thumbs, while pulling up with fingers in the access holes in the platter. Apply steady and reasonable force only....it is connected to sensitive electronics on the other side! [-o<

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind » 30 Dec 2017 05:18

Thanks for the replies. If that was rubber at one point it sure hardened big time. I've tried to remove it with thumbs and fingers but no luck. There are no access holes on mat. I'm afraid I might warp the platter by forcing it to much. Maybe a previous owner glued it in place.

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind » 30 Dec 2017 05:24

Nevermind. I got it. After another try and being able to insert my fingernail on the one spot it wobbled I managed to take it off. It's hard as a rock and there's some oily residue on the back of the mat and on the platter top. What should I use to clean it? Thanks again

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 30 Dec 2017 05:53

Exactly what I found when I took mine off.....the oily residue is apparently one of the compounds that once kept the mat flexible, and which seems to break down over time when exposed to air and or sunlight, leaving the mat hard and the residue behind. Indicates a man made rubber product, and rubbing alcohol should clean up the mess nicely. Congrats on a relatively easy removal of the "frisbee". :)

Oil Stain

Post by Oil Stain » 24 Jun 2018 14:43

Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to share my experience with my mat. My SL-D202 I've had for 40 years. I recently have taken it out and cleaned it up. Like others on here, the mat was hard as a rock and oil was underneath it.

Any way I bought a new mat on Amazon. Here's the link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps out others for needing a new mat. I'm very satisfied with it.

roh666

Post by roh666 » 31 Jul 2018 15:27

Hello
I have Q303 and the same problem. Actually my problem is worse as the mat on Q303 has holes for record size detection.

I was researching hard and it seems to me that the only option would be to buy standard mat without the holes and cut them myself.

I identified that the mat with correct thickness (cca 3mm) is RGS0008 orginally for SL-1200MK5 or MK6.

I have two worries:
- First I am not sure if the mat diameter is suitable for Q303
- Second and this is a big one, the record detection mechanism protrudes above the platter and the mat has a cutouts for 2 square detection holes, 2 round indents and big shallow indent for the whole mechanism(see attached pictures). I don't believe I can replicate this complicated setup. So probably my only option would be to cut a big hole size of whole mechanism.

Any comments?
Attachments
mechanism 2.jpg
mechanism 2
(408.03 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
mechanism 1.jpg
mechanism 1
(474.43 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
mat.jpg
mat
(387.95 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

roh666

Post by roh666 » 05 Nov 2018 19:08

not sure if anybody's interested anymore, but for future generations:

I successfully managed to cut right holes using combination of chisel and scalpel into RGS0008 and it works very well. The mat is maybe very slightly larger but there is no ill effect.

The mechanism does not protrude enough to warrant cutting the big hole, four small ones were enough.
slq303.jpg
(603.21 KiB) Downloaded 11 times