the home of the turntable

Technics SL-5 new owner

turning japanese

Technics SL-5 new owner

Postby Wood4theTrees » 11 Nov 2017 09:53

Hi there.

Completely new to vinyl so just starting out. I have full sonos system at home all multiroom.

Have purchased a sonos connect amp attached to some wharfedale diamond 220 Speakers. Sound is lovely but I want to see what it can do with real music. So I picked up a technics sl-5 turntable from a cash in a dash pawn shop type place. Not plugged it in and tried it yet but for £25.70 (I bartered with the change in my pocket) I thought it worth the risk.

I still need to source leads and a preamp and a switchable phono splitter. But wondered if there is anything I should do to it before buying some vinyl and giving it a try. Checked cartridge and it has Ortofon TM20h cartridge and stylus which seems to be all in good condition (to an untrained eye)

I’m not an audiophile. Or a musician, but I appreciate the difference between mp3 quality music and the depth and richness of vinyl.

I’ve downloaded all the manuals from here and read them but I don’t feel upto a full strip down of the unit, is there grease points? How does the turntable lift off? Mine doesn’t seem to want to pull off.

Cheers in advance
Wood4theTrees

England

Re: Technics SL-5 new owner

Postby Kurt45 » 11 Nov 2017 14:47

I'm not sure what you mean by "How does the turntable lift off?" As to your other questions:

You can download the service manual here at vinyl engine. Standard maintenance on these Technics linear trackers (I have an SL-7) is to lube the rail the arm travels on and replace the arm drive belt.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if the stylus is worn by looking at it. I checked the forum and it looks like the Ortofon stylus 10, 20, 30 etc. fit your TM20h, so it's only a matter of what your budget is.

I am lazy, so I'd probably fire it up, put on a worn record that I don't care about, and give it a listen. If it plays well (arm doesn't hang up and plays smoothly across the record), I'd get a stylus 10 (37,50€ at Thakker) or 20 for it and I'd skip the maintenance until it started acting up.

Here's some info on your cartridge from lini in the forum:

"...the TM20H basically was the T4P sister of the LM20H. And while the younger OM and SuperOM generation needles also fit onto the older LM, Hifi-Concorde and TM bodies, it unfortunately doesn't work the other way round.
...the old LM/Hifi-Concorde/TM generation needles 20 and 20H (H = high compliance variant) still were bonded FineLines instead of nude ellipticals."
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby Wood4theTrees » 11 Nov 2017 17:45

Thanks very much. By lifting out the turntable I meant the round bed the record sits on. Has to be done to grease the bearings? What grease for the rail? And bearings?
Wood4theTrees

England

Postby Kurt45 » 11 Nov 2017 18:01

The directions for removing the "turntable" (I'll call it the platter) in the service manual say to remove the 45 adaptor by turning it counter clockwise and lifting it up, then lift off the mat and remove the platter. It cautions that the platter is "tight fitted" on the spindle.

The subject of lubricating the bearing on an SL-10 has come up in the forum, and user Shoji wrote "Is also possible no problem for lubrication as most time I have seen plenty example and all is still good condition with lubrication remaining. If require to add 1 or 2 drop of oil by spindle exit from housing is good to make use of SWFO 010 from Panasonic as sell in small tube with applicator." What I don't know is whether the SL-5 bearing is the same or of similar design.

Here's a thread in which lensmanMK2 cleaned and lubed the bearing on his SL-7: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57914

Anecdotally, I've never lubed the bearing on my SL-7 and it still performs flawlessly.

re: lubricating the rail, there have been a few posts about it in the forum. I personally used Tri-Flow to both clean and lube the rail when I got my SL-7 (about 6 years ago) and it worked like a charm. No problems.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby Wood4theTrees » 13 Nov 2017 08:34

Excellent. Thankyou. Platter that’s the one, couldn’t remember the name. I may just fire it up and see how it performs as is then.

Cheers
Sam
Wood4theTrees

England

Return to Technics