Dead SL-7?

turning japanese
Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Dead SL-7?

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 10 Aug 2019 09:48

I acquired a SL-7 last week. It needed a new belt and stylus to get it up and running, both replaced and the deck seemed to be ok.

Yesterday I thought I would try the 12V input on the rear, I plugged in a 12V battery power supply (the sort that you can run or charge a mobile phone on) The deck would not power up, I assumed the battery pack didn't have the 'grunt' to power it.

Last night I decided to listen to some vinyl, I plugged the SL-7 back into the mains and it would not power up, I checked the mains plug fuse and that was fine, I removed the base and found three fuses's (one with a clear plastic cover over it).
I checked all three and found that one was blown, I only had a lower capacity fuse to hand, so I fitted that as a stop-gap.

I plugged the SL-7 back in to the mains, and..........NOTHING!

Any suggestions Guys? Or have I now got a scrap deck?

Electone

Re: Dead SL-7?

Post by Electone » 10 Aug 2019 13:48

Fuses blow for a reason. A component in the power supply has probably failed or shorted causing the protection fuse(s) to blow. You need to diagnose further.

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 10 Aug 2019 14:38

Electone wrote:
10 Aug 2019 13:48
Fuses blow for a reason. A component in the power supply has probably failed or shorted causing the protection fuse(s) to blow. You need to diagnose further.
Thanks, I don't have the knowledge about electronics to check. Unless there is some straightforward guide?

chgc

Post by chgc » 11 Aug 2019 02:06

I’m sorry that I can’t be of much help, but I suspect that you reversed the polarity of the 12v power supply. I don’t know exactly what the consequences of this would be, but probably not good.

Also, I’m puzzled by your description of the power supply as “the sort that you can run or charge a mobile phone on.” Most of the mobile phone chargers I’m aware of are usb batteries that would be hard to connect to a turntable and 5v.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 11 Aug 2019 03:50

Information on the SL-7 is in the library here, and is quite detailed and specific about the use of DC power supply adapters. Not sure what the power input to the SL-7 was, but it is possible that you have indeed created an instant paperweight out of an otherwise desirable TT. I wouldn't think it would be that sensitive, as it was designed to accept DC power, but something was obviously botched by whatever you used as power source. A shame if it can't be corrected relatively easily. Consult someone with good electrical knowledge. Reading.....the lost art. #-o

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 11 Aug 2019 09:11

chgc wrote:
11 Aug 2019 02:06
I’m sorry that I can’t be of much help, but I suspect that you reversed the polarity of the 12v power supply. I don’t know exactly what the consequences of this would be, but probably not good.

Also, I’m puzzled by your description of the power supply as “the sort that you can run or charge a mobile phone on.” Most of the mobile phone chargers I’m aware of are usb batteries that would be hard to connect to a turntable and 5v.
Thanks for your reply, the power pack has variable voltage up to 18V. and a USB port.
I had it set to 12V.

Oh well, looks like I will be selling it on as 'spares or repair'. Fortunately I got it at a low price.

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 11 Aug 2019 09:14

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
11 Aug 2019 03:50
Information on the SL-7 is in the library here, and is quite detailed and specific about the use of DC power supply adapters. Not sure what the power input to the SL-7 was, but it is possible that you have indeed created an instant paperweight out of an otherwise desirable TT. I wouldn't think it would be that sensitive, as it was designed to accept DC power, but something was obviously botched by whatever you used as power source. A shame if it can't be corrected relatively easily. Consult someone with good electrical knowledge. Reading.....the lost art. #-o
Looks like it might well be a 'paperweight', I will most probably sell it on. I would imagine the repair cost to be high?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 12 Aug 2019 16:21

Grumpyoldgit1956 wrote:
11 Aug 2019 09:14
AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
11 Aug 2019 03:50
Looks like it might well be a 'paperweight', I will most probably sell it on. I would imagine the repair cost to be high?
:cry: :cry:

Did you try testing the continuity of all the fuses..... :-k

As a fellow old guy, the eyes have not been able to detect some minuscule breaks in fuses like when I was younger..... :wink:

Fred

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 13 Aug 2019 16:35

fscl wrote:
12 Aug 2019 16:21

:cry: :cry:

Did you try testing the continuity of all the fuses..... :-k

As a fellow old guy, the eyes have not been able to detect some minuscule breaks in fuses like when I was younger..... :wink:

Fred
Hi Fred,

I checked all the fuses with a volt meter, one dead, two fine.
Replaced the duff fuse with a lower capacity fuse, but no joy........ :( :( :(

Jampot90
England

Post by Jampot90 » 13 Aug 2019 22:07

I have an SL7 which I sent to Mike Powell in Bolton for repair but he reported a burnt out arm drive motor.

I can't imagine that the fault with yours is identical so perhaps you would like to try your arm drive motor in this one.

I'm in Chorley so we aren't far apart.

Jim

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 14 Aug 2019 16:29

Jampot90 wrote:
13 Aug 2019 22:07
I have an SL7 which I sent to Mike Powell in Bolton for repair but he reported a burnt out arm drive motor.

I can't imagine that the fault with yours is identical so perhaps you would like to try your arm drive motor in this one.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the kind offer, looks like we are around 45 miles apart.
Have you got the contact details for Mike? If I don't sell it over the next week or so then I will consider having it checked over, but I am reluctant to spend much on it.

Many thanks.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 14 Aug 2019 21:12

Grumpyoldgit1956 wrote:
14 Aug 2019 16:29
Jampot90 wrote:
13 Aug 2019 22:07

Jim
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the kind offer, looks like we are around 45 miles apart.
Have you got the contact details for Mike? If I don't sell it over the next week or so then I will consider having it checked over, but I am reluctant to spend much on it.

Many thanks.
I'm in Chorley too! :-)

Grumpy must be on east side then as its only 27 miles to central Manchester from here...

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 16 Aug 2019 14:35

Tonybro wrote:
14 Aug 2019 21:12

I'm in Chorley too! :-)

Grumpy must be on east side then as its only 27 miles to central Manchester from here...
Hi Tony, I'm near Stockport.