the home of the turntable

Technics SP-10R

turning japanese

Re: Technics SP-10R

Postby bigx5murf » 10 Jan 2018 22:17

The SP-10 cost though stratospheric, isn't really out out of line when you consider what sp10 mk3 are going for.

The equipment for manufacturing may have already existed. But looking at the new 1200, a lot of the old equipment will either be useless or need to be reworked significantly. The platter alone went from a solid cast piece with some magnets stuck on, to a machined, constrained layer sandwich, with completely different shaped magnets.
bigx5murf

United States of America

Postby Shadowman82 » 12 Jan 2018 23:50

Yes yes the fact that they had to start from scratch explains why the new Technics turntables cost so much more but it doesn't explain why they can only manufacture so few at a time . Assuming they use similar manufacturing equipment as they did with the old ones shouldn't they be able to make them as fast as the old ones ?
Shadowman82

Canada

Postby audiopile » 13 Jan 2018 03:57

I wonder how much of limited production is dictated by limited dealerships ? 20 years ago - a average city of a few hundred thousand population had few audio B&M dealers - but 5 or 6 anyway? Most of those cities now have one or two "stereo" shops.And those shops are quit possibly H$ end to boot. And odd as it may seem (given what most of us view as expensive new products ??)-the new Technics tables aren't priced like high end audio products in today's market. I'd guess a Technics rep wandering into your average H$ end boutique trying to sell a product that's available from internet musical equipment/pro sound retailers already is likely to be greeted like he/she walked thru dog waste product on the way in. So just how many new 1200's can sustainabley be sold for X? years? BTW- this is at least to some degree a boutique project without access to boutique distribution.And that sure doesn't change my appreciation for the neo SL-1200 I'm listening thru as i type this.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Shadowman82 » 14 Jan 2018 01:01

In the city where I life which has about 381000 there are currently two retailers of high end audio equipment , both have many turntables but neither one has Technics . In fact I believe the closest dealer to me would either be in Niagara or Toronto .
Shadowman82

Canada

Previous

Return to Technics