SL-QX300 "repair" help

turning japanese
apastuszak
United States of America

SL-QX300 "repair" help

Post by apastuszak » 31 Jan 2020 02:45

On a previous thread, I bought an SL-QX300 turntable and need some help with it. I was discussing it on another thread, but we've moved past the point of that thread, and I thought I would start a new one in the appropriate forum.

So, the turntable right now has 2 issues:

1. The repeat button is broken.
2. The start/stop button doesn't work. Still trying to figure this one out. It worked when I first got it, then it worked intermittently, and then it stopped working altogether.
3. The auto-return does seem to work, but it took some work.
4. The table only holds speed when Quartz Lock is enabled. When I disable it, it doesn't work.

So, here is what I have done so far:

1. I took it apart and cleaned out the pitch slider with deoxit and all the buttons. Now it can hold speed without Quartz. Big plus there.
2. I removed the repeat button to clean it, and it completely fell apart on me. Was cracked in multiple places. I ordered a new one from Encompass, but it's out of stock they say it will ship in February. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. I removed the repeat button, switch and rod from the turntable completely and put it in a ziploc bag, awaiting the new part.
3. I cleaned the old lube off of the parts I could get to with IPA and relubricated them.

Then I put the whole thing back together. And it definitely plays music, but the start/stop button still doesn't work and the auto-return was not working.

So, I took it apart again this evening, and I went much farther in my disassembly. I took the tone arm off, and removed the motor and the automatic mechanism. I cleaned off what I could. I then turned the large wheel underneath until I heard it "click" into place and would not turn.

I then put the whole thing back together, and now the auto-return work, but the start/stop button still does not work. But. when tha auto-return happens, the tone arm comes back, and then makes TWO clicking noises and then the platter stops spinning. I have no idea if the double click is normal or not. I'm hoping someone here with a QX300 might be able to tell me if that is normal.

I also don't know if the automatic speed selector is working or not. I put a 45 on the table and manually moved the tone arm over to the record and the speed stayed at 33 1/3. Does automatic speed selection only work when I press the start button?

Any advice fellow members can offer would be greatly appreciated.

apastuszak
United States of America

Re: SL-QX300 "repair" help

Post by apastuszak » 31 Jan 2020 17:05

Found a demonstration video on YouTube, and it appears the "double click" when a record ends is normal.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 31 Jan 2020 18:32

Any idea if the SL-Q200 has the same controls that are broken? I bought a one mainly for the dust cover and it is a likely parts candidate.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 04 Feb 2020 21:26

Let me look

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 04 Feb 2020 22:11

It looks like the QX200 is a semi-automatic, so it doesn't have repeat.

Thank you for the offer, though. It was very generous.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 04 Feb 2020 22:19

Someone on eBay is selling a complete QX-300 plinth with all controls for $40.00. That might be worth grabbing. Except the seller does not accept returns. That worries me.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 06 Feb 2020 17:29

apastuszak wrote:
04 Feb 2020 22:11
It looks like the QX200 is a semi-automatic, so it doesn't have repeat.

Thank you for the offer, though. It was very generous.
Ah well. I actually did very little maintenance on it and it is spinning away fine. This is the 2nd QX200 I have had that looked just terrible, but worked fine. Maybe the lack of automatic features is keeping them simpler and humming along.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 13 Feb 2020 01:01

I bought a new QX300 plinth that has all the controls on the front. But I need to do some lubrication of the TT. The only lubricant I have for turntables is some alvanium grease that I bought with the replacement steuerpimpel I bought for my Dual 1257. Can I safely use this lubricant on the QX300, or should I buy something else?

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 13 Feb 2020 04:27

apastuszak wrote:
13 Feb 2020 01:01
I bought a new QX300 plinth that has all the controls on the front. But I need to do some lubrication of the TT. The only lubricant I have for turntables is some alvanium grease that I bought with the replacement steuerpimpel I bought for my Dual 1257. Can I safely use this lubricant on the QX300, or should I buy something else?
That is pretty thick and specific to certain Dual specs. I would get some white lithium grease for general lubing,

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 13 Feb 2020 06:36

On another thread where I asked about Molykote grease, Super Lube came highly recommended. I will go to Harbor Freight Tools tomorrow and pick up a tube.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 14 Feb 2020 16:58

The new plinth arrives and I installed it. Everything works except the Start/Stop button. So, it obviously was not the electronics in the plinth that was the problem.

The table auto-returns. The repeat switch works. It's just the start/stop button that doesn't work.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 15 Feb 2020 16:57

I took the whole turntable apart, cleaned it and lubed it using Super Lube. Now when I press the start/stop button, the turntable starts up, and the arm tries to advance, but then just collapses back on the rest. If I push the repeat button down and let the album return and try to play again, it does the same thing. So, it's time for another disassembly.

I could take this thing apart in my sleep at this point.

If anyone has any recommendation on what the issue might be, it would be most welcome.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 15 Feb 2020 22:55

It's so nice to find an honest electronic repair person!

So, I hopped on Facebook Marketplace and did a search for all the usual things I look for (Turntable, cast iron, cd player, jansport) and I see a listing by a gentleman about 15 minutes from my house that does electronics repair. And his prices seem reasonable. $60+parts to recap a receiver/amp. Turntable service (lube and belt change) for $60.

So I shoot him a message. He gets back to me the next day and asks the model of the turntable and what's wrong with it. I explain the problem, and he tells me to do the following.

1. Unplug the turntable
2. Put a stylus guard on the stylus
3. Drop the stylus with guard on the platter mat, or an old beat up record you don't care about.
4. Manually spin the platter, and if the tone isn't moving forward, nudge it by hand and keep spinning non-stop until the tone arms goes into the inner grooves and does a full automatic return.
5. Plug it back and in and get back to me.

So, I did as he instructed. I put on a beater record, dropped the tonearm and spun the platter through a full return of the arm. Just for yucks I did it twice. Then I plugged in the turntable, turned it on, and pressed start, and IT WAS FIXED.

The tone arm advanced and was playing the record.

The guys could have easily taken the turntable in for repairs, did this simple move and charged me $50.00 and I would have been none the wiser. And i would have paid the $50.00 and been happy about it.

If you live near Philadelphia, I may have a service guy to recommend...