Philips AG 2030 restoration

lets make things better
Phil_Reid
England

Philips AG 2030 restoration

Post by Phil_Reid » 01 Jul 2019 20:35

Hi,

I'm currently restoring a Philips AG 2030, and need some advice. The Dutch service manual is not much use to me :)
  • What is the recommended lubricant for the turntable? When I removed it there was the remains of what looked like solidified grease - similar to general purpose automotive grease.
  • Are there any other lubrication points?
  • My deck has a built-in pre-amplifier. There is an earth braid on the DIN lead, but should there be a separate earth lead coming out from the tone arm? When I first removed the bottom cover, a thin piece of wire fell of of the bottom of the tone arm, and I suspect that this might have had something to do with earthing. I have seen a couple of pictures on the web which seem to show an additional earth wire, but they are not clear enough for me to be sure.
  • The rubber mat is very stiff ( a common problem from what I have read). Is there any way of making it flexible again or will it just snap like a popadom?
Thanks...

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Re: Philips AG 2030 restoration

Post by cafe_liegeois » 01 Jul 2019 22:41

I have restored one, last year, and sold it since.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 0&t=106084

From what I recall:

I've used normal automobile engine oil for the platter bearing, the motor and the bearings of the idler and intermediate wheel.

There are a few points that take a little grease, e.g. at the lift mechanics. I haven't been able to get the lift to work properly. I've tried various kinds of silicon and other grease for the damping cylinder and it either dropped like a stone or took ages to move upwards.

The rubber mat appears to be a common prob. Mine came with a mat that wasn't original but fitted fine and looked ok.

If you want the photos of the underside from my posting at full resolution then contact me with a normal email address and I'll gladly oblige.

Ralf

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 02 Jul 2019 09:02

cafe_liegeois wrote:
01 Jul 2019 22:41
I have restored one, last year, and sold it since.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 0&t=106084

From what I recall:

I've used normal automobile engine oil for the platter bearing, the motor and the bearings of the idler and intermediate wheel.

There are a few points that take a little grease, e.g. at the lift mechanics. I haven't been able to get the lift to work properly. I've tried various kinds of silicon and other grease for the damping cylinder and it either dropped like a stone or took ages to move upwards.

The rubber mat appears to be a common prob. Mine came with a mat that wasn't original but fitted fine and looked ok.

If you want the photos of the underside from my posting at full resolution then contact me with a normal email address and I'll gladly oblige.

Ralf
Ralf,

Thanks for the information, but do you recall there being an earth wire in addition to the four thin cartridge leads? Look at the attached photograph (not my turntable). There is a small blue wire near the tonearm pivot; do you think that this is an earth wire?
946825IMG20170408115337.jpg
(178.25 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 02 Jul 2019 09:42

I've had a closer look at my own photos and found this:

The blue wire goes from a solder lug at the arm base to another lug at the chassis. Supposedly it is meant to prevent bad ground contact across the arm bearings.

Ralf

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 02 Jul 2019 11:17

Many thanks

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 02 Jul 2019 22:39

My deck has a spring between the lugs where you show the blue wire.

Anyway, I have traced the cause of the hum. It was a fault in the DIN cable - that will teach me to always investigate the most simple causes first! Thanks for your help.