Philips GA-212 fixes: thank you VE!

lets make things better
editkid
New Zealand

Philips GA-212 fixes: thank you VE!

Post by editkid » 03 Jun 2019 00:04

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone contributing to this forum. So much good information on the classic GA-212 can be found here, which has made it possible for me to:

- Find and fit replacement bulbs
- Diagnose a power supply issue
- Replace the power supply with a 9V DC regulated wall adapter
- Add female RCA connectors to the back of the unit
- Sort out a ground issue by adding a ground wire (my original power cable had ground, the adapter didn't)

So now everything is sounding lovely and working as intended. And I couldn't have done this on my own I don't think. I hope that in hundreds of years from now someone somewhere will be restoring a GA-212 and trawling through an old archived copy of this forum, getting all the good infos.

Beythoven

Re: Philips GA-212 fixes: thank you VE!

Post by Beythoven » 18 Jun 2019 19:22

Hello, was wondering if you had a link for where you found replacement bulbs, and/or a link to the instructions to replace them? My lights went out a few months ago and I've been looking to no avail. Thanks!

editkid
New Zealand

Post by editkid » 18 Jun 2019 22:31

I used the "Lamp 6,0 V 0,05 A 7121 D" from jukebox-revival.eu.

https://www.jukebox-revival.eu/index.ph ... -a-7121-d/

editkid
New Zealand

Post by editkid » 18 Jun 2019 22:37

As for replacing them, it's pretty straightforward.

1. Lift off your turntable's platter
2. Close the lid and—holding your turntable and lid together—flip the it over onto its lid
3. With the bottom of the turntable facing upwards unscrew 3 screws holding the plastic base on
4. Carefully lift the plastic base off and move it to the side. It's still attached to your turntable with an earthing wire...
5. You can now see the 3 bulbs and you can simply pull the socket of each of them up towards you—again a bit careful as the sockets have wires attached
6. Once the socket is pulled out unscrew the old bulb and screw in a new one
7. Push the socket back down in place
8. Screw the turntable base back on, flip it over, put the platter back.