2-Philips GA 222's They're alive!

lets make things better
b+v8an

2-Philips GA 222's They're alive!

Post by b+v8an » 08 Apr 2019 18:16

I Thought I should share a long strange trip with these turntables. I picked up the first one 4 yrs. ago for $20. It looked good and worked as a manual table. The lights didn't work as they should and except for the auto return,no auto functions. Thought I could fix it. Got it home and discovered that it way different than the usual belt drive automatics I was used to. Looked up the manual and realized it was out of my pay grade. I set it aside for "someday". About a yr. later I ran across another one in pretty much the same condition , that needed a new on switch. $5 and it was mine. Still out of my pay grade!
So, flash forward 3 yrs. Time to fix them or toss them. I got out the manual and jumped on in. Cleaned them up and did all of the mechanical adjustments(PITA). Replaced a start switch and took them apart and they looked as good on the inside as they did on the outside ,unmolested. Deoxit on the switches and var resistors. I did a bunch of voltage checks and set R484 to 10v. All of the switches seemed to be functional. TT # 1 was working! All of the lights and auto functions were working.That surprised me! Heck ,even the belt is good.The Empire 3000 cart that came with it sounds real nice. It still needs some fine tuning and the base is warped (of course) ,but it'll due for now.
TT #2 still had a problem or three.A couple of the lights weren't working ,The 45 speed was too fast,and not all of the auto functions were working. I replaced 2 LEDS I couldn't make work,and adjusted the pot for 45. Tried all of the functions again and they all worked! The LEDS I replaced still don't light up (stop + 45) but every thing is working, even without the lights.
They both have some work left, but I never thought I could get them going.
I am just going to use them for awhile and see how it goes. I just finished up wrapping the cabinet with woodgrain vinyl. That is another skill left to the pro's. It looked so easy on utube. Oh well ,baby steps - - -
Attachments
P4080067.JPG
(121.25 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
P4080064.JPG
(136.5 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
P4080063.JPG
(167.1 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: 2-Philips GA 222's They're alive!

Post by Japi Roelofs » 08 Apr 2019 18:35

Congratulations!

I think the 222 is a very nice turntable. The design/styling is an acquired taste I guess, I happen to like it.

What's the thing in the first picture?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: 2-Philips GA 222's They're alive!

Post by Pauw » 08 Apr 2019 19:22

I think I am right but the lights in the early Philips turntables like the GA 212 and maybe the 222 are truly Dutch.....they are bike lamp 6.3 v bulbs that used to be so common here in NL......so if you just lack working bulbs this is where to look .....in the end they finally went over to LEDs. :D The Ga series are great tables...I run a GA 212 and it is truly magnificent and gives my Linn a good run for its money! :D