Pioneer PL-50 Motor

lets make things better
Indians35
United States of America

Pioneer PL-50 Motor

Post by Indians35 » 20 Mar 2019 21:39

I think my motor is going out. Im fairly new to the vinyl world and bought this off of a neighbor, I have to turn on the table itself and let it run for a 30-60 seconds before I can play a album. The sound is distorted, I'm assuming its because the motor is having issues. Any suggestions on what to do to fix it or what could be causing this. I've already oiled the wicks.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL-50 Motor

Post by Bob Dillon » 20 Mar 2019 21:46

Distorted sound, from motor issues ? Or you mean something like inconsistent speed ?

I used to have a PL-50. It has a strong motor. Try running the motor alone, and feel the capstan turning, it should run smoothly and with plenty of torque. Look for dirt / build.up on the capstan. Check that the little screw that locks the capstan to the motor shaft is tight.

I assume you've looked at the belt and it's not too tight or too loose ?

Indians35
United States of America

Post by Indians35 » 20 Mar 2019 21:55

I've checked the belt it seems fine, it fits pretty and spins pretty smooth. The speed seems a little inconstant at first when I turn it on. Almost like it needs to warm up before I can play an album.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 21 Mar 2019 21:14

Hi, Indians35, The oil tubes work great when they are intact. But I have serviced quite a few pl50/50a's and I found the tubes had broken from age and the oil was just dripping into the bottom of the base. They usually break right where they are bent to go into the bearings. The best thing to do is to remove the bottom and make sure the oil tubes are still intact. If they are then keep adding oil to the reservoir until you see the oil work its way to the bearings. If the motor has not been oiled in a long time it could take some time for the oil to get to the bearings. If the oil tubes are broken then it's best to remove them and disassemble the motor so the upper and lower bearing can be cleaned and fresh oil applied to them. Another area that needs attention is the spindle thrust bearing. The original thrust bearing which is located in the bottom of the spindle housing disintegrates from age and two thing can happen. 1) The platter drops and starts to rub on the plinth, 2) the platter takes awhile to get up to speed. If you have not serviced the spindle housing you should. A new Delrin thrust bearing is available on Ebay. Once you get the new one then disassemble the spindle housing and clean everything with alcohol. Then install the new thrust bearing and add two or three drops of sewing machine oil to the bottom of the housing. Then put a drop or two of oil on the spindle before you install it back into the housing. Hope fully this will help to improve the start up of the platter. Falling to do any service to the motor or spindle will burn out the motor leaving the turntable useless until a replacement can be found. Don't forget these turntables are pushing 40+ years of age and they all need some TLC at this time. And the PL 50 and 50a's are well worth spending a little time and money on IMO. I hope this helps.